• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Schiit Magni 2 vs Magni 2 Uber

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well I think it's time for another round of upgrades on the audio side of things. For my desktop right now I'm using a set of Hifiman HE400is hooked up to a Fiio E07K/E09K. The problem I'm having is the dock on the E09K is pretty much shot. It's gotten to the point where it seems like every time I want to listen to something, I have to sit there making sure the E07K is just so perfectly balanced or else it doesn't connect, even if I haven't undocked it. It would also be nice to return the E07K to its original function, a portable amp/DAC.

So I've heard going with a Schiit Modi/Magni is a good combo. I was planning on going with the Modi 2 Uber so I can use my mobos optical audio out, but was curious if the Magni 2 Uber was worth the extra $50 over the base Magni 2? Looking at their site, Schiit seems to think the biggest improvement is a set of pre-amp outs, which I don't need. Is there any other reason to go with the uber?

Eh, I thought on and off about a tube amp, and just not crazy enough about the idea to spend $200 on the amp alone, at least to start out with.

I would say the price difference for the Uber for you would be the optical out and is it worth the $50 to have the Modi 2. I would, but it isn't my money.

Eh, I thought on and off about a tube amp, and just not crazy enough about the idea to spend $200 on the amp alone, at least to start out with.

For the $20 extra that the Little Dot III cost over the Magni Uber, I would think about it. However, go to Headfi, and see what other owners have to say about the Schiit products. I did my research there, and for my needs, I went with the Little Dot.

I would say the price difference for the Uber for you would be the optical out and is it worth the $50 to have the Modi 2. I would, but it isn't my money.

Yeah, I was going to get the Modi 2 Uber, I was asking about the Magni 2 Uber vs the base Magni 2.

For the $20 extra that the Little Dot III cost over the Magni Uber, I would think about it. However, go to Headfi, and see what other owners have to say about the Schiit products. I did my research there, and for my needs, I went with the Little Dot.

How $20? It's $50 more than the Magni 2 Uber and double the price of the base Magni 2. (Actually a fair bit more when you take in $45 shipping for the LD vs ~$20 or so for the Schiit parts)

The Uber only has a 104dB SNR, while your onboard is 115dB.

The 115dB SNR number is almost worthless as it's from the ALC1150 chip itself, most manufacturers won't list a SNR for the motherboard audio section as a whole.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was going to get the Modi 2 Uber, I was asking about the Magni 2 Uber vs the base Magni 2.

How $20? It's $50 more than the Magni 2 Uber and double the price of the base Magni 2. (Actually a fair bit more when you take in $45 shipping for the LD vs ~$20 or so for the Schiit parts)

I was basing the cost of the Magni 2 Uber from Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Magni-2-Uber...719346&sr=8-1&keywords=magni+2+uber+amplifier

Ebay has the LD MIK III for $199, I thought I saw free shipping, but i was wrong.

Now I see you mention the Modi, so disregard my post. I would still look check out the pros and cons of the Modi and the Magni on Headfi, though. Far better place to get info on those products. I believe that Schiit hqs staff posting there as well.

It looks like you might be able to get a free replacement connector for your E09K if you ask support.
http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40365&extra=
Failing that, does the E09K still work with the aux inputs? if so, try connecting it to your onboard, with the volume maxed out on your PC and using the controls on the E09K to set the volume.

I'll probably end up doing that, with my onboard hooked directly to the E09K over replacing the dock. The dock started to wobble in less than a year, with docking/undocking the E07K less than 10 times. Since I'll be using the E07K for what it was designed for a lot more (have a a set of SHP9500s that play a lot nicer with it than the onboard sound on my laptop) I'll probably end up replacing it ever few weeks...

I was basing the cost of the Magni 2 Uber from Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Magni-2-Uber...719346&sr=8-1&keywords=magni+2+uber+amplifier

Ebay has the LD MIK III for $199, I thought I saw free shipping, but i was wrong.

Now I see you mention the Modi, so disregard my post. I would still look check out the pros and cons of the Modi and the Magni on Headfi, though. Far better place to get info on those products. I believe that Schiit hqs staff posting there as well.

Huh, yeah, I just double checked Schiits site. Showing $150+$15 S/H for just the amp. Guess they bundle the shipping cost to Amazons warehouse and whatever Amazons fee is into the final cost of that posting.

I'll check headfi. Main reason I'm hesistant on the LD is tube amps are different enough from SS that I really want to physically go out and listen to some myself before dropping multiple C-notes on one.

I'll check headfi. Main reason I'm hesistant on the LD is tube amps are different enough from SS that I really want to physically go out and listen to some myself before dropping multiple C-notes on one.

Smartest thing I've read all day. :thup:

Huh, yeah, I just double checked Schiits site. Showing $150+$15 S/H for just the amp. Guess they bundle the shipping cost to Amazons warehouse and whatever Amazons fee is into the final cost of that posting.

It's hard to make a leap of faith with audio equipment, without first listening to it.

Back