• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chrome OS vs. IOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

I've never been an Apple fan and could be called an Android fanboy.

Windows is everywhere (i.e. my Alienware).

But for something different, I'm considering Google's very own Chromebook Pixel 2 LS (2015) or a Macbook Pro (13/15" Retina).

Android apps are coming via the Play Store to Chrome OS so I'm wondering if the gap between Operating Systems is narrowing even more now-a-days. I'm also looking at the "big picture" or ecosystem factor. Sadly, I may sell my Alienware altogether and be in a Windows-less household. But something about having all devices talk to each other is the type of ecosystem I'm looking to go all in with. Unfortunately Microsoft is awesome with desktops and laptops, but nowhere near where they ought to be with smartwatches, phone, and tablets.

Thoughts?

My house gets along great without any Windows machines. That Alienware would likely run any Linux distro nicely. I like(and have) several Apple machines, but I prefer Linux over IOS, and OS X.

I've been looking at the Chromebook Pixel for a while, I'm getting closer to a purchase as I'm growing tired of my half dead Macbook Air(2006).

My house gets along great without any Windows machines. That Alienware would likely run any Linux distro nicely. I like(and have) several Apple machines, but I prefer Linux over IOS, and OS X.

I've been looking at the Chromebook Pixel for a while, I'm getting closer to a purchase as I'm growing tired of my half dead Macbook Air(2006).

Chromebooks are rapidly overtaking Apple and Windows based computers in the marketplace. Chromebooks already account for more than half of the computers used in the US educational system. And with the melding of Android and ChromeOS that will only accelerate. It's all the computer most people need and all but trouble free.

Windows is still the most dominate operating system that 90% of the working and personal world uses. I have never used Chrome OS and am wondering how it compares?

Chrome takes a little getting used to in that you have to bend your mind around the fact that virtually everything about it does not reside on the computer itself. It is the ultimate "thin client" that we used to hear about years ago in Windows computing that has yet to become a reality in that OS computing sector. That may change dramatically with the merger of chrome and android since more and more apps will live on the device. It may pose storage problems with "power" users as the majority of Chromebooks only have 16gb of internal storage.

Back