• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brace Yourselves, Samsung SM961, PM961, 960 PRO and 960 EVO SSDs Are Coming!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
http://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/B...961-PM961-960-PRO-and-960-EVO-SSDs-Are-Coming

kind of odd you cant get the SM961/PM961 in retail but oem only. notice the Enterprise segment getting one about as close as the SM961 in read/write BW, i wonder if newegg will have oem SM/PM 961 like they did with PM951.

the new controller from listening to the podcast on PC, they talk about how the polaris controller for the new m.2's. is more power efficient so it will run cooler so in near zero air flow it shouldnt throttle like the 950pro does. they were saying how throttling for them only happened on the 950 pro with no air flow, im not sure how true this is since i dont have one to test this out. i do remember the threads here talking about throttling on the 950 pro, so if there was no air flow over the controller this does make sense but Samsung should have thought of this in the first place. though who is going to be hammering the drive that long (5 minutes) besides in benchmarks.

*edit*
benchmark links
Samsung SM961 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review@TT

Last edited:
http://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/B...961-PM961-960-PRO-and-960-EVO-SSDs-Are-Coming

kind of odd you cant get the SM961/PM961 in retail but oem only. notice the Enterprise segment getting one about as close as the SM961 in read/write BW, i wonder if newegg will have oem SM/PM 961 like they did with PM951.

the new controller from listening to the podcast on PC, they talk about how the polaris controller for the new m.2's. is more power efficient so it will run cooler so in near zero air flow it shouldnt throttle like the 950pro does. they were saying how throttling for them only happened on the 950 pro with no air flow, im not sure how true this is since i dont have one to test this out. i do remember the threads here talking about throttling on the 950 pro, so if there was no air flow over the controller this does make sense but Samsung should have thought of this in the first place. though who is going to be hammering the drive that long (5 minutes) besides in benchmarks.

Really nice stuff! I'm really considering buying an m.2 -> u.2 adapter from microsatacables, for my build after reading the article! :p

sorry if I missed it, but was there a release date mentioned?

I'm just about to pick up 2x m.2 ssds

some site in AU have drives but there is no actual release date for retail. some places may order them OEM for people to buy but other then that its going to be up in the air on we we seem them state side. as it seems now they are shipping to OEM's ie dell and other manufactures for use.

Back