• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disable minimize window [Windows logo key + D] or + M for a single program only

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
What would a creator of a media player need to do to disable
Windows logo key + D
or
Windows logo key + M
or
the Windows Show Desktop shortcut

That way, if the media player is being used on a second monitor, it will never get minimized, it will always keep playing on the second monitor without being minimized.

In other words, other windows would get minimized by
Windows logo key + D
or
Windows logo key + M
or
the Windows Show Desktop shortcut
but not the media player.

The idea is that video will play uninterrupted on Monitor 2 or Plasma TV while you work on the computer monitor.
Therefore, focusing windows is just as tedious as manually getting the media player window up.

But the link is interesting.
I am troubled by the last line that appears to say that the user posting the solution is incorrect.

I would like to go to the media player author with this if that code can make a single program be UNAFFECTED by Show Desktop Windows button.
Really, it's not about disabling minimizing, it's so that a single program (the media player) won't be taken off screen when everything else is, when you click on Show Desktop.

Last edited:
The post saying it doesn't work was specific to the answer it was in reply to, not the whole page.

Would you kindly help me by deciphering this.
The act of clicking on the Show Desktop button would *not* affect the program window if... what code is part of that program?

Here is exactly what is going on. I would like to send code to the author of a freeware media program, link to the page as well but basically show code that would allow for the video player to stay up.

I have actually seen this done only once. It was on the old Adobe Flash Player which remained unaffected by the Show Desktop button when maximized on a second monitor. But I can no longer replicate this behavior since things have changed in the way videos are displayed online, etc.

But would be much grateful if you could copy-paste code from that page that would accomplish the goal of keeping an individual program up when Show Desktop button is pressed.
If you copy-paste it here, we could avoid me not "getting" which part of the thread is the code that does that and what people are talking about unrelated to that.

That code only tells you how to handle yourself a "minimize button" clicked. (the answer marked as correct)

The rest of the reply says you need to check for EVENT_SYSTEM_FOREGROUND because windows don't get minimized when show desktop is issued.

When that even is fired you should bring your window to the foreground again, I don't know how smoothly this works though.

Back