• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two questions about: cassette recorder and cassettes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When cassettes fell out of favor in lieu of CDs and eventually MP3s/digital music, NO ONE MISSED THEM. Please please please just use something else. :p

Haha, Good joke m8, Using cassettes to listen to music today... Well only if its not available on anything else.. Yes, But the internet has a lot to offer..

It'd probably be cheaper and more fun to build your own case with an MP3 player in the back connected to the output jack and rip the guts out of the Walkman and put them on top of the MP3 player so it just looks like a tape deck.

It'd probably be cheaper and more fun to build your own case with an MP3 player in the back connected to the output jack and rip the guts out of the Walkman and put them on top of the MP3 player so it just looks like a tape deck.

Cheaper, Probably yes, Fun? I dont think so. I dont want to kill the walkman cause its cool and its not really mine (Its my dad's), So ill try to find a cheap deck tape. My friend also found a recorder but idk what model, Ill ask him later and ask you guys if its capable to record good :).

Read again, this is for a cosplay, not for typical usage.

Yeah, I saw it and perhaps my musical background had me resisting the notion that *any* use of a walkman was forboden.

I guess I'm confused about whether the walkman even needs to work/play music? Does it? You using headphones?

Yeah, I saw it and perhaps my musical background had me resisting the notion that *any* use of a walkman was forboden.

I guess I'm confused about whether the walkman even needs to work/play music? Does it? You using headphones?

M@rk states he wants it to be working, yes.

M@rk states he wants it to be working, yes.

Since it's all for show, I think the idea of having a 'spinning' spindle and MP3 guts would be ideal. If no one else is hearing the music playback, then it doesn't matter if it even plays music(?). If other people need to hear the playback, then aren't we really looking for a boombox, not a walkman? I guess the whole thing hasn't been clearly described, so a lot of guessing. What "cosplay" is this intended? Sounds more like a secondary component to a halloween constume.

The bottom line - no matter what the use, casettes are vile little devices and should all be recycled.

Since it's all for show, I think the idea of having a 'spinning' spindle and MP3 guts would be ideal. If no one else is hearing the music playback, then it doesn't matter if it even plays music(?). If other people need to hear the playback, then aren't we really looking for a boombox, not a walkman? I guess the whole thing hasn't been clearly described, so a lot of guessing. What "cosplay" is this intended? Sounds more like a secondary component to a halloween constume.

The bottom line - no matter what the use, casettes are vile little devices and should all be recycled.

DONT HURT THE FEELING OF CASSETTES!!, They cry every time they hear it ;(

Since it's all for show, I think the idea of having a 'spinning' spindle and MP3 guts would be ideal. If no one else is hearing the music playback, then it doesn't matter if it even plays music(?). If other people need to hear the playback, then aren't we really looking for a boombox, not a walkman?
It is for show but i want to listen to the music myself and i want the cassette playing the songs i want, Boombox is not what i need cause.. well its a boom box lol, i want to be walking freely and also the walkman looks and feels better with that costume.

What "cosplay" is this intended? Sounds more like a secondary component to a halloween constume.
I want to cosplay as someone from a game called : Hotline Miami. I didnt decide who exactly but i have 2 in my mind. When you play the game you listen to music and it feels 100 times better to play with music. So i saw a guy that also cosplayed and he used a walkman so i thought its a good idea cause you do listen to music when you play and you dont hear the people you kill cause you listen to the music (At least thats why i think.). And yes its a secondary component but it will be a nice touch to the costume.

I guess the whole thing hasn't been clearly described, so a lot of guessing.
Yeah, Sorry.
But my question was is the recorder good and what cassettes to get, Then it became what recorder to get and what cassettes, And then what tape deck to get and what cassettes.
Hope i described well. :)

Okay? So rig up the cassette player to spin a tape, then play the music you want from an MP3 player...

DONT HURT THE FEELING OF CASSETTES!!, They cry every time they hear it ;(

Since it's all for show, I think the idea of having a 'spinning' spindle and MP3 guts would be ideal. If no one else is hearing the music playback, then it doesn't matter if it even plays music(?). If other people need to hear the playback, then aren't we really looking for a boombox, not a walkman?
It is for show but i want to listen to the music myself and i want the cassette playing the songs i want, Boombox is not what i need cause.. well its a boom box lol, i want to be walking freely and also the walkman looks and feels better with that costume.

What "cosplay" is this intended? Sounds more like a secondary component to a halloween constume.
I want to cosplay as someone from a game called : Hotline Miami. I didnt decide who exactly but i have 2 in my mind. When you play the game you listen to music and it feels 100 times better to play with music. So i saw a guy that also cosplayed and he used a walkman so i thought its a good idea cause you do listen to music when you play and you dont hear the people you kill cause you listen to the music (At least thats why i think.). And yes its a secondary component but it will be a nice touch to the costume.

I guess the whole thing hasn't been clearly described, so a lot of guessing.
Yeah, Sorry.
But my question was is the recorder good and what cassettes to get, Then it became what recorder to get and what cassettes, And then what tape deck to get and what cassettes.
Hope i described well. :)

Here are some images :

Biker(hotline_miami).jpg maxresdefault.jpg

Find a computer with headphone jack.
Get a cassette recorder with a microphone-input plug. This will be labeled "Microphone", "MIC IN", "REC", or just a picture of a microphone. You can find cassette recorders at your local second-hand store for cheap, though they still sell these at Meijer, Target and similar outlets, starting around $15.

Find a "male to male stereo audio cable". It must be stereo, it must be long enough to reach from one device to the other, and the plug ends must fit the corresponding female plugs of your PC and cassette recorder. The most common audio plug size for PCs is 3.5mm (1/8-inch). See your local Radio Shack for the cable, as well as converters if you need to change the plug size. A six-foot cable will run about $5.

You've got the equipment. The rest of the work is easier than finding spam email in your Inbox: Plug one end of the cable into your computer's headphone jack, and the other into the cassette recorder's "Microphone" jack. Press record on the cassette player, then have your PC play your MP3s, podcast, or music. You'll be making a recording with no outside interference, and the recorded sound quality on tape should sound almost as good as the original.

Last edited:
Find a computer with headphone jack.
Get a cassette recorder with a microphone-input plug. This will be labeled "Microphone", "MIC IN", "REC", or just a picture of a microphone. You can find cassette recorders at your local second-hand store for cheap, though they still sell these at Meijer, Target and similar outlets, starting around $15.

Find a "male to male stereo audio cable". It must be stereo, it must be long enough to reach from one device to the other, and the plug ends must fit the corresponding female plugs of your PC and cassette recorder. The most common audio plug size for PCs is 3.5mm (1/8-inch). See your local Radio Shack for the cable, as well as converters if you need to change the plug size. A six-foot cable will run about $5.

You've got the equipment. The rest of the work is easier than finding spam email in your Inbox: Plug one end of the cable into your computer's headphone jack, and the other into the cassette recorder's "Microphone" jack. Press record on the cassette player, then have your PC play your MP3s, podcast, or music. You'll be making a recording with no outside interference, and the recorded sound quality on tape should sound almost as good as the original.

THANK YOU!
I have a mic port in on my recorder(walkman) but you told me that the sound will be bad.. I also have a cable(just gotta find it), the longer the cable the worse the quality is.. Even though it'll be barely if at all noticeable I still prefer short cables.
Now for the cassettes, which should I get? I need good quality but cheap cassettes, I read that Maxwell UR are good.

Last edited:
My friend have a player(I'm not sure its a recored but it says recorder in the name..)and its called CC Recorder9100, is it better than mine?(record quality from PC as LutaWicasa said) (Btw its MUCH bigger than mine about almost 2 times bigger)

THANK YOU!
I have a mic port in on my recorder(walkman) but you told me that the sound will be bad.. I also have a cable(just gotta find it), the longer the cable the worse the quality is.. Even though it'll be barely if at all noticeable I still prefer short cables.
Now for the cassettes, which should I get? I need good quality but cheap cassettes, I read that Maxwell UR are good.

If you're talking about that Panasonic unit you mentioned in yer first post....no matter what tape is in it will be suckage. That is monaural, not stereo...ever listen to an old transistor radio with earbuds?

If you're talking about that Panasonic unit you mentioned in yer first post....no matter what tape is in it will be suckage. That is monaural, not stereo...ever listen to an old transistor radio with earbuds?

ever listen to an old transistor radio with earbuds?
No.. But will try.

Is the CC Recorder9100 good enough to do it?

Portable Mono Cassette Recorder

Non-stereo....monaural

Lets say i recorded a cassette in stereo, Can i play it on my walkman in stereo? If not then i dont really need to record my stuff stereo cause itll play mono anyway..

Back