• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two questions about: cassette recorder and cassettes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First, ya oughta see if you can find someone with a music cassette and listen to it through buds on that Panasonic to see if the quality of sound would be acceptable to ya.

No love for the cassette. *sigh* Many (too many) years ago I had a Nakamichi ZX 9. I promise you, with good quality chrome oxide tape it would make obvious the glaring audio horror that is the "mp3". It put most reel to reel tape machines to shame along with some very expensive turntables. And every CD player made before 1995, along with every CD player under $1000 today. The CD wasn't an improvement in audio quality, it was an improvement in portability and storage. High fidelity was invented long before 1987. LOL

First, ya oughta see if you can find someone with a music cassette and listen to it through buds on that Panasonic to see if the quality of sound would be acceptable to ya.

Lol i do have a stereo cassette, At least thats what it says. Ill tell you what is written on the cassette itself: 1TWIC, RanGe stereo, Dloby HX Pro, And ofcourse the name of whats on the cassette. On the paper cover for the box for the cassette it says its stereo too. Ill soon try to listen to it.

The CD wasn't an improvement in audio quality, it was an improvement in portability and storage.
There were many portable cassette players smaller than portable CD players. In terms of portability, CD is actually a step backwards. Although immunity to magnetic fields and no limit on read cycles are a substantial improvement.

There also was DAT but its drive mechanism was more or less a scaled down VCR and not really suited for portability.

I would keep my eyes open for an old dual cassette /CD boom box at a thrift store. You could record everything from CD directly to the casette without any real loss.
EDIT: I still use a Sharp that's about 25 years old for my patio parties.

I would keep my eyes open for an old dual cassette /CD boom box at a thrift store. You could record everything from CD directly to the casette without any real loss.
EDIT: I still use a Sharp that's about 25 years old for my patio parties.

I didnt ever saw a thrift store here in israel. Only online one.

No love for the cassette. *sigh* Many (too many) years ago I had a Nakamichi ZX 9. I promise you, with good quality chrome oxide tape it would make obvious the glaring audio horror that is the "mp3". It put most reel to reel tape machines to shame along with some very expensive turntables. And every CD player made before 1995, along with every CD player under $1000 today. The CD wasn't an improvement in audio quality, it was an improvement in portability and storage. High fidelity was invented long before 1987. LOL

I'll take compression over the noise floor and NUMEROUS other issues with cassettes any day. You're welcome to still use them in all their glory. The rest of the world has moved on.

MP3 sucks. Unless you're listening to a single speaker clock radio the difference is obvious. I still listen to vinyl, which has greater range than CD. It all depends on how much effort (money) you want to put in to audio.

MP3 sucks. Unless you're listening to a single speaker clock radio the difference is obvious. I still listen to vinyl, which has greater range than CD. It all depends on how much effort (money) you want to put in to audio.

I would listen to vinyl IF i had a real pathephone, Not these digital pathephone that process the audio.
I actually have a vinyl on the wall,

Carl Orff: Carmina Burana
The Philadelphia orchestra
Eugene Ormandy,
Conductor
Janice Harsanyi, soprani; Rudolf Petrak, iener; Harve Presnell, baritone
The Rutgers University Choir F. Austin Walter, Director

Its also double sided.

Hello everyone!
Is the Panasonic RQ-L319 good for recording music? if so what are the ideal volumes and all that stuff?
And another question, What cassettes should i buy to record music? I saw These two and i wonder which one is better? and if the sony cassettes are better is it worth the extra 12$?

Hello.

1. Recording would be better on a stand alone large cassette recorder that comes as a part of a stereo system. But you can do basic recording on your device there. I do not think you can adjust recording volumes on it, if you can then post the picture of what your options are.

2. Absolutely not worth the extra $12. Both options are Normal BIAS. Original Maxell is what you should get over Sony.
There are three types: Normal, Chrome and Metal.
Chrome is better than Normal.
Metal is the best.
Chrome and Metal are hard to find and were much more expensive than Normal.

Lol i do have a stereo cassette, At least thats what it says. Ill tell you what is written on the cassette itself: 1TWIC, RanGe stereo, Dloby HX Pro, And ofcourse the name of whats on the cassette. On the paper cover for the box for the cassette it says its stereo too. Ill soon try to listen to it.

So....did ya listen to this on that Pana unit?

Back