• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dell xps 13 won't boot windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

my fiancee was using a dell xps 13 for a while when she started having issues where the laptop would be slow or crash and finally a few weeks ago she was using it and it blue screened and now when you power it up it shows the dell logo and goes into the point it tries to boot windows 7 (it had windows 8 i put 7 on it) but all i get is a black screen.

i went into the bios and it sees the ssd but for some reason wont boot windows, i booted up a windows 7 usb and tried to do a repair but it couldnt find a install of windows, is there anything i can try?

I'd try a clean install.
Have you checked the SMART data of the SSD?

Wipe the drive (HDDErase) and try the install again. If the drive is not found by the installer, chances are the SSD is dead.

i dont know what is going on, the bios sees the drive just fine but windows installer does not, i am thinking of getting a usb adapter for it and see if windows picks it up

hey everyone had trouble logging into my account here but thats fixed thanks admins! i bought a msata to usb adapter for the ssd for this laptop and while the access is very very slow which tells me this drive is on its way out, but i can access the windows files, is there any free or opensource hard drive backup software that can backup the hdd to a file like a iso file or bin file that i can store on a backup drive until i get the drive for it and restore it

Back