• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED XMP Profile fails with DDR4 G.SKILL 16GB (2x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

90VetteDan

Registered
I just built a new computer and I've had success with my i7 6700k being able to achieve 4.7GHz with a 1.4Vcore. However, when I attempt to apply the default XMP profile for my DDR4 G.SKILL 16GB (2x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz with my GA-Z170X-GAMING 6 Motherboard, my computer goes into a boot loop.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I need to do in order to get my RAM to a stable 3200MHz? Thanks.

I would say change the motherboard but it's probably not the best advice ;) Let's say you are not the only one who has memory issues on Gigabyte boards.
But really check if you can make it work at manual settings like 3200 15-15-15-35 ( that's for CL14/15 kits ) command rate 2N 1.35V. If it won't work then check VCCSA and VCCIO voltages at about 1.15V.

I would say change the motherboard but it's probably not the best advice ;) Let's say you are not the only one who has memory issues on Gigabyte boards.
But really check if you can make it work at manual settings like 3200 15-15-15-35 ( that's for CL14/15 kits ) command rate 2N 1.35V. If it won't work then check VCCSA and VCCIO voltages at about 1.15V.

Thanks for the information!

I've been unsuccessful with the manual settings you suggested but it looks like the latest BIOS version from Gigabyte was specifically made to improve DDR XMP compatibility.

Would you recommend I update the BIOS?

Yes, try new BIOS. Many users said it's helping to solve memory issues.

Oh, great. I was about to suggest reseating the CPU and checking out the pins. New Intels have onboard mem controllers, so bent pins in CPU sockets sometimes result in weird errors like some banks not working or DC not working or whatever. Still check out the CPU actually, schedule paste maintenance earlier than normal or something, just to be on the safe side. Statistically speaking, anyone reading this later on is probably equally as likely to need a BIOS update as CPU reseat, RAM reseat being third (especially on boards with 'easier' RAM mount by making one of the brackets immobile, which only makes it more complicated to use just the right amount of force and be sure you've done it well compared to standard mount).

1 thing to look out for is ram not getting enough voltage, like when the BIOS (UEFI) is set to 1.5V as an example, in HWMonitor or in BIOS it reads 1.46V, that can cause stability issues. To fix this, set ram voltage up so the reading is where it needs to be. I have had this happen to me, OS would not complete the install.

But in this case I'm glad updating the BIOS fixed your problem.

Glad you got it fixed. It might be a good idea to put Solved in the thread title now so others with the same issue can find it and get some help. :thup:

Back