• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG PROJECT ALPHA OMEGA (modded Corsair SPEC-ALPHA)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexciobanu

NWoCKFT.jpg

Hi guys,

I'm back with another case mod, this time with Corsair!

I'll be using their SPEC-ALPHA case to create a special case mod to showcase the new ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 graphics cards!

This project*will be inspired by an HRC (High Resolution Computers Shop) build in the same case. For those that don't know HRC, you can check out their page here and the SPEC-ALPHA mod they did here.

When I say inspired, I mean the open-frame design of the build, I'll be doing some things a bit different :)

I'd like to thank NVIDIA ANZ, ASUS ANZ, Corsair, Bitspower and CableMod for their support on this build! I'd also like to thank all those who follow my build logs or follow my page through social media and share the same passion with me! All my builds would not be the same without sharing them with all of you!

I'm on a very strict deadline to get this build finished for an upcoming event so the build log updates may sometimes be delayed to what I'm actually working on.

Hope you guys will enjoy this one!

Onto the SPECS:

CASE - Corsair Carbide SPEC-ALPHA
CPU - Intel Core i7 5930K
MB - ASUS ROG STRIX X99 Gaming
GPU - 2 x ASUS STRIX GTX 1080s
SLI - NVIDIA High Bandwidth SLI Bridge 3-Slot
RAM - 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2800Mhz (8x8GB) with Light Bar Upgrade Kit
SSD - Corsair Force LE 480GB x 2
PSU - Corsair HX1000i

Custom Cables & LEDs - CableMod

Custom Watercooling

CPU - Bitspower Summit EF
RES - Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi (Clear acrylic)
PUMP - Bitspower DDC Plus with Bitspower DDC Upgrade Kit
RAD - Bitspower Leviathan Xtreme 360
FITTINGS - Bitspower Matte Black - various
TUBING - Bitspower 12mm Acrylic
FANS - Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition x 4
COOLANT - Mayhems Aurora Silver

I'll start of with a pic of the Corsair hardware all together! I'm also planning on doing a few video updates for this build as well.

zpfrcAV.jpg

Stay tuned, should be an exciting build/mod!

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited:
NWoCKFT.jpg

Hi guys,

First update for the build and I decided to make a video.

Hope you guys enjoy a quick unboxing and disassembly of the case and I also talk a bit about the mod :)

Quick note after watching the video, the black section of the top panel came off pretty easily in the end. There were more clips that I missed the first time so no heating was needed.

Pics of the case too before I hack into it :p

y7H2l1c.jpg

Pd8gxWn.jpg

7KtzaJW.jpg

N6RrGes.jpg

waTqggT.jpg

stGDnSz.jpg

Fh84ruw.jpg

AJa2a6Z.jpg

SETurwi.jpg

VChJ9sk.jpg

I8IpnCD.jpg

Thanks for checking it out and stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited:
NWoCKFT.jpg

Hi guys,

Most of the major mods have now been done on the case! All that's left is to make it look pretty!

dB678rO.jpg

yMJVzhB.jpg

g7Pisio.jpg

I91xatw.jpg

opSg88h.jpg

4TLjAeV.jpg

FTwwIoL.jpg

E3skmtj.jpg

xsDOM7R.jpg

B8ZvW6j.jpg

rM363qh.jpg

1ORhNvv.jpg

Covered the cuts with acrylic and this will be covered with vinyl.

r1UJy7c.jpg

oZqXmIE.jpg

8RnYB4g.jpg

pSPxT0V.jpg

2eCaKzx.jpg

Also painted the inside of the front and top panel green.

O4t3ppu.jpg

Stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited:
Subbed for Awesomeness. Not sure how I missed the first few posts. I like the concept BTW

I missed this???
I need a button to auto-subscribe to any threads you make.

I'm loving the green accents on the panels Alex! :thup:

NWoCKFT.jpg

Hi guys,

Hope you like the banner, thanks to MercoMods for designing this!

Here's a look at more of the mods done. Fan rings have been painted green as well as some vinyl work for them along with the PSU and SSDs. I'll have another video up soon and more pics :)

qbB4dcf.jpg

mOo6Dcw.jpg

LMe0dq8.jpg

sHByaZE.jpg

26ZeZa0.jpg

7pUFALY.jpg

You'll see in the next update why the vinyl on the PSU is offset.

jOlalqj.jpg

ga2VFnS.jpg

4feI94a.jpg

Thanks for checking it out and stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Alex

Sub'd! I love these awesome builds, there are so many talented people around here and Alex is among the best of them!

Sub'd! I love these awesome builds, there are so many talented people around here and Alex is among the best of them!

Ah thanks a lot man! I appreciate it and happy to share it with you guys :)

- - - Updated - - -

NWoCKFT.jpg

Hi guys,

Back with another update and another video :)

All of the mods are now completed on the case. I talk a bit about what's been done and show the case in the video. If you guys are liking these video please subscribe to my channel on YouTube, I'll try and do other things as well as I keep improving.

Also here are some shots of the case.

QAxgzpn.jpg

nPIjpmM.jpg

LeO5w7W.jpg

xCzO4xg.jpg

3Kcqkj2.jpg

BGxdrcW.jpg

6c2PzkJ.jpg

Xks5hOS.jpg

KbsbWsz.jpg

Ms5lkFo.jpg

NPsGRbC.jpg

Ykr89MU.jpg

Hope you guys like it!

Cheers,

Alex

Oh man.... Now I don't even like my case now!!

It's looking killer already Alex, I really love the bright green on black, really pops!
I can't wait to see what happens next! :drool: !!

Nice shirt btw ;)

NWoCKFT.jpg

Hi guys,

Sorry for not updating the build log for a few days, I've been away on a little trip and then got busy with work :)

As some of you may be aware, the NVIDIA Pascal Launch Party took place in Melbourne this past Thursday July 7th where they showcased a whole lot of GTX 1080s and 1070 from different vendors as well as HTC Vive demos of the awesome NVIDIA VR Funhouse and of course the worlds first exclusive look at the new GTX 1060.

I was very fortunate to have been flown to this event and get to experience it all and no doubt the PROJECT ALPHA OMEGA build was there too! I worked hard on getting it ready in time for the event and unfortunately didn't have time to film any more videos or photos as I was building into it.

The build did very well and got quite a lot of attention which was a good way to showcase the GTX 1080 graphics cards inside it. The open frame design of the case helped showcase the hardware even more.

Here are some teaser photos of the build at the event as well as some other photos throughout the NVIDIA Party. Sorry for the poor quality, they were all taken on my phone :)

YZA00lc.jpg

g6EXusC.jpg

hXy1nrR.jpg

9HD0ivi.jpg

yw00Qa9.jpg

I'll also leave you with some hardware pr0n photos :D

DfNB5wY.jpg

JKGJDkT.jpg

5x8e0Jq.jpg

h84e4vh.jpg

iDPFHdl.jpg

PtRvt6j.jpg

TtVUIoj.jpg

XPhBm5N.jpg

tQuf8yf.jpg

pEsOmak.jpg

UfRLuLJ.jpg

X2u5fCM.jpg

MikilKM.jpg

FPqEGYh.jpg

JFlpRRu.jpg

kfFenhj.jpg

vLyGf6m.jpg

pd6eqdU.jpg

I8kxIHG.jpg

1aE62rI.jpg

84AJndP.jpg

mKNGFjX.jpg

Thanks for checking it out guys! Stay tuned for final pics, more videos of the completed build and after, more watercooling :p

Cheers,

Alex

Looking great Alex! That release party looks like a blast.

2 questions.

1. Is Tom still working with nVidia or was he fired after the initial release party? Lol (this is in reference to the communication issues they were having. I doubt he was actually fired)

2. Are there plans for fan grill to protect your digits or just live on the wild side?

Back