• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How difficult would it be to mount a 775 cooler on 1151? F.M.S.B.4 enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbieOneKenobi

As per title. I have an Ultra 120 Extreme that I feel particularly bad about parting with, and I'm buying a socket 1151 mobo. From what I've gathered the difference in mounting holes is 72x72 (775) vs 75x75 (115-). The backplate is a precise fit, so this difference is enough to make it useless, but topside might be viable with a little suboptimal screw mounting angles (nothing close to putting a 478 heatsink on a 939 AMD).

Could Scythe's F.M.S.B.4 (Flip Mount Super Back-Plate 4) be enough for this on Skylake or is it going to require more extreme steps?

Even though 1150, 1151, 1155, and 1156 all use the same mounting holes, it is near impossible to find a way to mount the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme on 1151...

If anyone sees anything, please post here.

Last edited:
Even though 1150, 1151, 1155, and 1156 all use the same mounting holes, it is near impossible to find a way to mount the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366...

If anyone sees anything, please post here.

The FMSB4 is 'rated' for 1366, but you'd need to take it from there on topside. From 72x72 to 80x80 is probably too far to offset by introducing the screws diagonally or bending them or whatever. And if you use spacers, it may become difficult to hold the cooler down and get enough pressure. This said, it's not like there's a law that says you have to use screws out of all things that could pass through a hole, and 1366 CPUs aren't as fragile and expensive as Skylakes. Or perhaps a thin piece of metal with two screw holes very close to each other could be doable.

But that is a 1366 mount.
We need a 1151 mount, which is the same as 1150, 1151, 1155, and 1156.

What's the deal with ordering stuff to be shipped to USA, can that be done from an example place you mentioned?

I received it and will be installing it on Asus Z-170A, if anyone needs any info about it... they should ask me before I put it in...

c627627 's link seems like it may have enough clearance?

I received it and will be installing it on Asus Z-170A, if anyone needs any info about it... they should ask me before I put it in...

Same deal, apparently — back of Z170-A, I wouldn't tell it from my own board without closer inspection, judging by this photo. If it fits c627627's, it's going to fit mine. (Thanks.) Perhaps that backplate is a standard feature on 1151? Judging by Google Images search for 'back of motherboard', it's been around for a while across various different manufacturers, for several years at least (since Sandy Bridge or something; I think I've even found a picture of an LGA775 board with it).

Right-io, time to buy one then and bring my Ultra back to service. Hope it's not gonna have some of those infamous Skylake bending problems, though (thin design + above-spec pressure).

Last edited:
Quick update: Purchased this from a local vendor, who doesn't seem to have it any more, apart from the fact that after my purchase the price has apparently gone up from promotional to more than it was before. :D It should be arriving soon, so I'm gonna have some fun early next week. Judging by the pictures, the backplate shouldn't be a problem. Ironically, the heatsink (+fan) itself cost me less* than the bolt-through kit.

* EDIT: fixed. I have some form of dyslexia that makes me think right and say left or the other way round sometimes.

Last edited:
H Guys, I read around that some heatsinks could cause damage to Skylake cpu, you tell me your experience?
I own an ultra 120 extreme with universal mounting

Where did you read that, in order to address this, we need the source of this claim.

Back