• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 1070 -Stepped up and took the plunge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wjruth

Was able to get a MSI GTX 1070 Gaming (non X) and that set in motion a series of events. I needed a new psu and a DVI cable as I was using an adapter with the 950.
Speaking of 950's, I know it won't pull as many ppd, but I had an empty x1 slot to use. So I got a pcie riser and plugged that in as well.
I bench-marked the 950 in Heaven and came up with this
JlxiIrll.jpg

PPD was around 110K

I installed the 1070 and ran the same benchmark
KDVs4KKl.jpg

Running F@H now and downloaded the new Parser (thank you) and came up with 700K ppd.
Yul8l0Nl.png.jpg

Non OC and not optimized - so we'll see what happens after a few days.

I'll be watching this, I have not seen a 1070 yet.
the 1070 punches just above a 980TI so I think it should yield around 550,000 or so ppd.

Glad you like the parser!

Let me know if you see anything strange or can think of things to add to it!

:thup:

Annoying - F@H control is showing the GPU slots as reversed. The 1070 is showing as the 950 and vice versa. Any way to change the descriptions or should I just live with it?

The only way I know how to do it is to manually set the GPU number in the F@H control.

Hopefully somebody else has a better way!

Sub'd. Thank you for posting. I'm also happy to see JrClocker's program catching on. Good job Jr!

Thank you too to Whitehawk for helping out.

A screen shot of HWiNFO64:

tsPZMye.png

MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
Max Power Draw: 185W
Max temp: 63°C
Ambient temp of room: 25° C
Average Temp while folding: 57° C
Average fan: 1,452 rpm / 57%
Current F@H project: 11417
Estimated TPF: 2 min 25 sec
After completing 9 WUs, FAH Log File Parser is estimating PPD at: 712,610

What other info would you guys like to see?

For me, I'll be interested if it keeps its production up over time. So... not daily updates on the ppd but regular updates of some sort maybe.

Last edited:
Annoying - F@H control is showing the GPU slots as reversed. The 1070 is showing as the 950 and vice versa. Any way to change the descriptions or should I just live with it?

Post a screen shot of F@H control so we can see what is going on.

I just looked at your MB, that is a small MB. You may want to get a full ATX MB so you can put those GPU's in a x16 PCI-e slot :)

MSI-H110M-PRO-D.jpg

Yeah - I never intended to run 2 gpus on this board, but it happened. Running the 950 over the x1 lane has dropped the PPD for that card, giving me only 60%-70% of the x16 value. Right now the 950 is actually sitting outside the case on a plastic box. Keeping this on the cheap sure doesn't seem to be working.
Any recomendations for a board?

Yeah - I never intended to run 2 gpus on this board, but it happened. Running the 950 over the x1 lane has dropped the PPD for that card, giving me only 60%-70% of the x16 value. Right now the 950 is actually sitting outside the case on a plastic box. Keeping this on the cheap sure doesn't seem to be working.
Any recomendations for a board?

If you want to keep your current CPU, you can pick from this list Newegg listing 1151 LGA ATX MB, just about any ATX MB will do as they will have 3 or more x16 PCI-e slots on them.
As I don't have any Intel MB's, not a clue :) now AMD I would say go with a high end MB with 990 chipset.

So I looked at the first board on that list
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157682

While it has two PCI x16 slots, one is x4 only. While greater that x1, it would still slow the 950 down a touch. x8 has been shown to be fine for cards up to the 970 or R9-280x level.

Also, are you presently into DDR4? If not, that will be another cost factor. However, 16 GB of DDR4 can be had for $60 now so not too bad at all.

Yeah lga1150/1151 are not the best of choices for running more than 1 gpu at maximum speed due to a lack of PCIe lanes, it took me a week to find a lga1150 board with 2 x16 slots that worked at x16

*Update*

I've been folding on the 1070 solid since my last update. It would seem to average around 600k PPD. The 950 is contributing an average of 60k PPD.
7-10-16 daily ppd.PNG fah parser ppd.PNG
This is the PPD totals for the 950
950 daily ppd.PNG

Back