• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD RX 480 Review list

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It would be interesting if someone could oc the card to its max oc potential and run it under load for 24/7 and see if it causes any problems

I would suspect, if true, such failures would likely ony happen with budget or older motherboards when attempting serious GPU overclocking. Newer motherboards with more robust power circuitry, such as the ones used at the review sites, should be OK with that 20% overdraw on the PCI-e slot. But the problem is that the 480 is a mainstream model likely to be used for an upgrade in older systems and those with cheaper motherboards. In any event, I would avoid the reference designs that are currently available.

I would suspect, if true, such failures would likely ony happen with budget or older motherboards when attempting serious GPU overclocking. Newer motherboards with more robust power circuitry, such as the ones used at the review sites, should be OK with that 20% overdraw on the PCI-e slot. But the problem is that the 480 is a mainstream model likely to be used for an upgrade in older systems and those with cheaper motherboards. In any event, I would avoid the reference designs that are currently available.

Bingo. Just steer clear of the reference designs.
AIB's won't have this issue, assuming they design their PCB properly.

I hope AIBs will cost around the same price..

They should do as they have for generations from AIB's...
Cards with nothing but a cooler changed (still on reference PCB) will probably be $10-20 more, cards with a custom PCB will range from $20 to ??? more.

I was going to pickup 2 Ref models to OC at the Party :) I heard that 2 RX 480's in CF would beat a Geforce 1080

I was going to pickup 2 Ref models to OC at the Party :) I heard that 2 RX 480's in CF would beat a Geforce 1080

WW should have gtx 1060s next week apparently. Which I imagine will be faster than the 480 for about the same cost.

went there rumors saying the 1060 was going to be $300? ($350 for "founders edition")

Can you host here instead of 3rd party?

I wonder if this tuning is cutting down on the peaks or average power...

- - - Updated - - -

What cards should I bring to the party for benching????
whatever ones you want to bench. Whatever gets the most boints for the team/you... or whatever you want to have fun with..

Where did you hear that?
i refall 250... but do expect AIB versions to cost 300.

I wonder if this tuning is cutting down on the peaks or average power...

Video below is PC Perspective's testing, where they confirm Tom's Hardware results (slightly different methodology). In short, short term peaks are not the problem but the average is, and the 480 is exceeding the PCIe slot spec on average under load. In their opinion, the power balance needs to be shifted from the PCIe slot to the 6 pin connector which has more potential even if that is run above spec. The statement recently released from AMD suggests they can tune something in the driver, but how they do it remains to be seen.

Back