• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD RX 480 Review list

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Which is why i asked what i did, yes. :)

< Congrats on your resent move :) I hope everything went smoothly.

Q..Anyone know if the AIB's will get around to releasing A proper RX 480 before our party???
As reviewed by Anandtech, the GPU is being starved of power. They recommended a TDP of 250 instead of 150.

As the RX 480 is the low/mid card in AMD's lineup, the others RX 470 & RX 460 will be based off of it.
With 2 RX 480 in CF are biting at the heels of a GTX 1080. What will the RX 480X or 490 bring?????

Since the release of Intel's VRM 12.0 spec (2012??) VRMs were able to start communicating with the GPU via SMB/I2C or AMD SVI. What this allows is direct control of voltage based on a number of variables. It seems AMD has become a bit more controlling with their voltage in this recent generation.

It looks like AMD is going to fix the power consumption via software turns out it's the GDDR5 ram thats to blame

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-power-gpu-rx-480,news-53393.html

In our recent AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB Review we noted that the GPU exceeds its target 150W TDP and has a less-than-ideal power distribution between the PCIe and 6-pin power connector. This results in excessive power consumption through the PCIe slot (we measured up to 90W during the stress test). The results of the tests became a big topic on Reddit, and other hardware sites also issued follow-up testing of the power issue.

We notified AMD of the issue several days before we released the review. This morning, AMD (which appears to be burning the midnight oil on the fix) finally issued a statement in regards to our findings.

"As you know, we continuously tune our GPUs in order to maximize their performance within their given power envelopes and the speed of the memory interface, which in this case is an unprecedented 8Gbps for GDDR5. Recently, we identified select scenarios where the tuning of some RX 480 boards was not optimal. Fortunately, we can adjust the GPU's tuning via software in order to resolve this issue. We are already testing a driver that implements a fix, and we will provide an update to the community on our progress on Tuesday (July 5, 2016)."

AMD is apparently moving quickly on the issue and will provide a fix. The company will follow up with more news on Tuesday.

NICE! I was really wanting to put this in my htpc box. Really didn't want to mess around with a PCI riser with a Molex connector.

The only thing I'm concerned with is if it's going to gimp the card any and if so by how much...

I'd wait for the 1060 announcement

I'd wait for the 1060 announcement

While as that would be my recommendation for most people, I'm getting a rx480. The R9 Fury has left me wanting more AMD :drool: If the 1060 is all that it's amped up to be then it's going to be backordered like a ***** like instantly. Like how the 1080 and 1070s are right now.

Plus you know... Mine is kind of already on it's way... (Found out Dell.com had them in stock, and had an impulse buy moment)

Last edited:
Dell has them? :shock: There is about to be a one man run on their inventory. LOL

edit:I ordered one from Dell. Anything more than the 480 is overkill for my needs. Common sense kicked in. :)

Last edited:
Caught that last week...

I thought those were only sent to reviewers to test both 4gb and 8gb? I didnt think many of these were in the wild...

No Microcenter near me. So far Dell is the only place I found them available online, and that was from the heads up from Coty0010.

No Microcenter near me. So far Dell is the only place I found them available online, and that was from the heads up from Coty0010.

Sweet! I'm sure Dell will take good care of you. They'll price match 30 days after (which I'm confident factored into your purchasing decision).

Caught that last week...

I thought those were only sent to reviewers to test both 4gb and 8gb? I didnt think many of these were in the wild...

I'd imagine that if they did that for reviewers there is a possibility that there is at-least 1 batch of them out there seeing how many reviewers there are that got them. I'd be curious to know if it's a new AMD gold mine like the phenom X2 == phenom X4. Or (some) Fury == Fury X, 290 == 290X (until AMD changed it).

But will they price match brick and mortar stores I can't get to? LOL I'm really not looking forward to more life with AMD drivers. I was all set to go Team Green but availability, price, and overkill for a 1080p display conspired against me. I picked the worst possible time for a new build with regard to CPU and GPU. My consolation is the new rig will be such a huge improvement in both categories. Throw a SSD in the mix and I should be stupid happy for a while. :)

But will they price match brick and mortar stores I can't get to? LOL I'm really not looking forward to more life with AMD drivers. I was all set to go Team Green but availability, price, and overkill for a 1080p display conspired against me. I picked the worst possible time for a new build with regard to CPU and GPU. My consolation is the new rig will be such a huge improvement in both categories. Throw a SSD in the mix and I should be stupid happy for a while. :)

Then I'd just wait for the 1060 to be released and use the same site to be notified of availability and buy it then. Either that or wait a month or so for the stock to not be emptying within minutes.

I already promised my daughter my rig when the new one is built, so I'm hearing about that already. :) The 480 looks like a good solution for me but I'm not committed to having to have one. I'll run the 480 for a while and watch the 1060 closely when it comes out. If I'm happy enough with the 480 but just want "moar" I'll either get another for Xfire or get a 1060, depending on price.

Mmmm... Thinking about it myself: have 780ti already, which clocks quite high. don't know it it's worth it, using a 1080p monitor. I like the idea of 8GB, and, hopefully high overclockability on non ref card (stout VRMs and extra wattage)...

Hmmmm might be a nice solution to me. Got a 290 right now with a mild OC. I don't want to spend huge bucks on a new card but want something with a little more, and potential to give more at 2160p (1080p is good as well due to scaling). Or might just see what the 480x or 490 brings at least. If its sub $300 it will be a good to look at and this is very tempting.

Back