• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G Video Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

The long-awaited NVIDIA Pascal architecture was released a few weeks ago in the form of the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080. It was worth the wait! The new GPUs sport large performance increases (up to 30% for the 1080 and 11% for the 1070) and lower power consumption compared to the mighty 980Ti. Even though we did not get a Founders Edition sample from NVIDIA, we have the opportunity today to look at MSI’s GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G GPU. This card features an improved TwinFrozr cooler with its Torx 2.0 double ball bearing fan design, better than reference power delivery (additional 6-pin required!) including MSI's Military Class V parts, and its Zero Fan technology which shuts down the fans until the GPU hits 60 °C. Features aside, it's time to dig in and see what all of the fuss is about!

Click here to view the article.

Results are pretty much the same as on my GTX1070 FE. I mean even max temps are not much different.
About that voltage. When I set it to +100mV in Afterburner then GPU-Z reads about +50mV more. I think you have the same. My card shows up to 1.08V while without voltage adjustments it sits at about 1.03V.
Without overclocking or any power limit/voltage adjustments GPU-Z reads max boost at about 1911MHz on my card. Max OC without artifacts is about 2090MHz so pretty average for GTX1070. Max with single artifacts in 3DMark is about ~2120MHz.

I have the 1070 Gaming (non X) with the stock clocks from the factory. I saved $20 by going with the non X version, but outside of the factory applied OC, it's the same. I noticed the boost clock went up over 1800MHz while stock. Right now I'm running F@H on it and put a minor OC (+35MHZ) and it is folding away at 1924MHz and 57°C.

Looks impressive, can't wait to see more of the big brothers. Nice write up Joe

Sorry, not subscribed to my own article threads... :)

This one seemed to overclock pretty well reaching to at least 2126MHz on boost... My voltage control vent from 1.03V to 1.06V when I changed the voltage. That fits within droop/variance range. I even saw it just sit at the same load voltage after doing it so I am not sure there is control at all currently... It doesn't do a thing to power use either...

i so want one now!

any chance they will give us customizable profiles? to where we can test and set our own, voltage control would be nice, wonder what a .1-.4 voltage increase would do.

I pity the GTX 980Ti initial purchasers. They paid ~$200 more for a card that consumes more power, has lesss VRAM and isn't even as good as this mid-range (?) Pascal card even when radically overclocked. But I guess a year is a long time in the GPU component world.

Did the GTX 980 exceed the performance envelope of the GTX 780Ti?

Can't say I pity anyone... this is normal. Like every launch normal where the upper midrange of the newest gen matches or beats 1/2 of the previous generation.

980 was faster than 780ti by a few percent, yes.

Back