• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom 2016: what's the verdict?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Even though I loved the first couple of Dooms and Quakes AND I'm skilled at Borderlands style fast-paced movement oriented gameplay I don't know if I'm going to get this new Doom. While it looks utterly amazingly brilliant I don't know if I have the skill needed to play this and not get frustrated.

Can anyone tell me does it at least have a difficulty selection option? I'd rather go through a good game without frustration than get frustrated and stop playing thus wasting my $$$. I know this question and aforementioned statement is everything Borderlands isn't but that is an exception to the rule because of how awesome that series is (1 & 2).

Codeman's post above yours suggests multiple difficulty options.

Just like the original game there are various difficulty settings. It's really not particularly hard though, so don't worry too much so long as you enjoy senseless killing of demon horde from hell :D

I finally got all 46GB downloaded yesterday and played for maybe ten minutes. It certainly takes me back and I do like the added "glory kills" this is gonna be fun.
EDIT: I also found this game will not play without a page file just FYI

Gifted the game to the wife a week ago, she has already finished the game on everything but nightmare, has all SP achievs and quite a few MP, asked her yesterday what was she going to do for dinner and her reply (never taking her eyes off the monitor) was a very scary "BE NICE TO ME, I HAVE A GUN"...

I proceeded to cook dinner and wait for her to get off the computer like a good husband :chair:

I proceeded to cook dinner and wait for her to get off the computer like a good husband :chair:

:screwy: :D
I've almost completed Nightmare and keep toying with Ultra-Nightmare...talk about rage inducing when you make a dumb mistake... :temper:
Oddly addicting though

I think I'm going to pass on this Doom. I never really liked the ability to carry 9 weapons in Doom 3 and now they've added automagically reloading weapons and pinata monsters.

I think I'm going to pass on this Doom. I never really liked the ability to carry 9 weapons in Doom 3 and now they've added automagically reloading weapons and pinata monsters.

One of the most infuriating parts of games like that are only being able to carry 2 weapons, but that's also half the fun. It makes you think about what you want to carry. But I think Doom is more the type of game that's more concerned with massive carnage than making you think about what you are carrying. (Correct me if I'm wrong, as I haven't had a chance to play the new one. Can't wait to try it though!)

Those are all consistent aspects of all Doom games, as EarthDog said, none of those parts (holding several weapons and never needing to reload) are a change since the first Doom.

Those are all consistent aspects of all Doom games, as EarthDog said, none of those parts (holding several weapons and never needing to reload) are a change since the first Doom.

In Doom3 you had to reload all your weapons except the chainsaw, fist and magical weapon.

In Doom2 you had to reload the super shotgun:

Doom2 did it automatically... as your video appears to show. There is a reload animation, but that isn't a manual reload by the user we are talking about. That video is also showing a mod and not the vanilla game, so who knows what changed.

I never played Doom3. But Doom, D1, D2, and Doom(2016) that is how I recall it working. Its intent is to be more 'arcade' like as its predecessors were, so it makes sense.

Doom2 did it automatically... as your video appears to show. There is a reload animation, but that isn't a manual reload by the user we are talking about. That video is also showing a mod and not the vanilla game, so who knows what changed.

I never played Doom3. But Doom, D1, D2, and Doom(2016) that is how I recall it working. Its intent is to be more 'arcade' like as its predecessors were, so it makes sense.

From what I understand there is no reloading in Doom 2016 and there are no reloading animations.

But I see your point, Serious Sam and Painkiller were both similar.

Is Doom 2016 going to support user mods and singleplayer map creation (i.e. something more robust than snap map)?

There limits on the number of shots you can take with weapons. When it hits zero, you automatically switch to another weapon. I was talking strictly a reload button you need to press manually otherwise the weapon in your hand won't shoot after its 'clip' is spent. The only difference here is when the clip is out, it switches to your second weapon. You do not have several weapons, just two. You can pick up different weapons in the game.

You should read a review of the game. :)

Well I played a few hours of it over the weekend and had a blast. Definitely a step toward the original with some cool additions. Run and gun and run some more, the action only stops for a few rooms and then the horde is all over you again.
The super shotgun does have a reload sequence. One of the power ups is double shot before reload. As for too many weapons, you won't think so when fighting the cyber demon. What a PITA boss fight that was, didn't think it was ever going to end. I did like the one hidden room paying homage to the original DOOM. What a surprise walking in to that one. No goodies though :(

I know been doing my best to find most of them. I just thought they could have included a fancy old style weapon or something. Even a hammer just something.

Depends, inside the old levels (which you can play later from the menu) everything on the floor looks old style, but the mobs and weapons on your hand look new. I quite like the transition when you leave it for the game proper, but sadly nothing old can be used outside unless you hack as far as i know :(

Back