• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom 2016: what's the verdict?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I lost interest in Id after the fiasco that Doom3 turned out to be. Is Doom 2016 any good?

Kinda in the same boat... The game looks good, reviews seem good, but still reluctant. Being on sale for $36 isn't helping me resist though :D Loved me some original Doom, Duke Nukem, Heretic/Hexen, etc.

Overall the game has received very very good reviews as a good mixture of what made Doom originally with some flair from more current generations.

I'm really enjoying the game. Its a lot of fun for a modern shooter, and is definitely reminiscent of the old DOOM games. I bought it at launch, but I wished I had waited for the $30 price point. The game is very much worth its value at $30.

I enjoyed it but lost interest shortly after buying. It has it's fun elements but gets a little repetative. I hope they start making some bigger multiplayer maps because the little ones it came with are way too small.

If it goes on a good sale it might be worth it but not at full price.

Doom3 was a fiasco ? the revamped version maybe, the original+exp on ultra settings still beats many games today graphics-wise :confused: Doom4 so far is fun to play but the real challenge i think is to do it in the higher difficulties, otherwise its too easy/repetitive as BugFreak says. Methinks the story in campaign needed a little more oomph :thup:

Doom3 was a fiasco ? the revamped version maybe, the original+exp on ultra settings still beats many games today graphics-wise :confused: Doom4 so far is fun to play but the real challenge i think is to do it in the higher difficulties, otherwise its too easy/repetitive as BugFreak says. Methinks the story in campaign needed a little more oomph :thup:

Doom 3 divided the Doom community into 2 groups, those that loved it and those that hated it. It certainly was far from bad (I actually liked it), but they tried focusing too much on a story when it's Doom of all games, and I feel that divided the community.

Of course, BugFreak mentioned repetitive, but Doom 2016 takes heavily from the original games, which was? Repetitive killing of the demon horde from hell. This time around the story doesn't feel like it's being pushed too much down our throats like what was tried with Doom 3.

Had no idea tbf, I loved Doom3 for the atmosphere/graphics and certain bosses that were actually annoying for a change. Plus the modding was fun, wish they brought that back in 4 :(

Been a while sine I played Doom 3, but I put an hour or so into the new one last night, and it has a different feel, more run&gun. Like sobe said, it's like the originals. 3 tried to be a horror game with a story line, the new one with it's new critical/fatality thing, plenty of health/armor/ammo, and general map design takes that away, leaving it with the general arcade-y theme of the first games.

Last edited:
Never played any doom before Doom 2016, but I can say it is a masterpiece.

But don't listen to me, I am John Carmack ***** and I could literally buy anything he touches.
(even if he left for that VR ****, that man can only be satisfied with challenge Oo)

Doom 3 divided the Doom community into 2 groups, those that loved it and those that hated it. It certainly was far from bad (I actually liked it), but they tried focusing too much on a story when it's Doom of all games, and I feel that divided the community.

Of course, BugFreak mentioned repetitive, but Doom 2016 takes heavily from the original games, which was? Repetitive killing of the demon horde from hell. This time around the story doesn't feel like it's being pushed too much down our throats like what was tried with Doom 3.

Doom 3 appropriated so many ideas from the System Shock series they should of credited them -- then there's the whole flashlight fiasco, monster closets and the incredibly bad AI.

Does this modern Doom feature auto-heal (where you're health automatically regenerates w/o having to use health kits or health stations)?
Does your armor suffer damage?

This new Doom is thoroughly old school. The designers had a deep understanding about what made the original Doom great and they are bucking all the modern trends in fps design. There is no auto heal, no cover, no reloading, no load-outs. Most enemy projectiles move quite slowly and you are fast and nimble. This means constant motion becomes a central feature of the gameplay, dodging and weaving around the map and the enemies while unloading everything you got at them.

The game is a masterpiece.

Great game. Worth the money, even more so you can get it on sale.
Saw someone playing it on a PS4, and couldn't resist after seeing how good it was. Jumped on the chance to get it on the PC and no regrets.

Mr. Alpha's comments above are spot on.

I loved it! Actually replaying it already on Nightmare & Ultra-Nightmare as we speak.

I had very low expectations prior to release and bought it more for nostalgia than anything...but once I started to play it, it completely blew me away. I did enjoy Doom 3 back in the day (and 1&2 of course), but this absolutely crushes it.

This new Doom is thoroughly old school. The designers had a deep understanding about what made the original Doom great and they are bucking all the modern trends in fps design. There is no auto heal, no cover, no reloading, no load-outs. Most enemy projectiles move quite slowly and you are fast and nimble. This means constant motion becomes a central feature of the gameplay, dodging and weaving around the map and the enemies while unloading everything you got at them.

The game is a masterpiece.

Even though I loved the first couple of Dooms and Quakes AND I'm skilled at Borderlands style fast-paced movement oriented gameplay I don't know if I'm going to get this new Doom. While it looks utterly amazingly brilliant I don't know if I have the skill needed to play this and not get frustrated.

Can anyone tell me does it at least have a difficulty selection option? I'd rather go through a good game without frustration than get frustrated and stop playing thus wasting my $$$. I know this question and aforementioned statement is everything Borderlands isn't but that is an exception to the rule because of how awesome that series is (1 & 2).

Back