• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual GPU cards: any better than discrete cards as far as u-stutter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I currently run a Radeon R9 295X2, which is two R9 290X's on the same PCB, and I came from two GTX 670's in SLI, so I think I have some experience here.

I have not noticed any stutter on either setup, none from the green team, none from the red team.

No difference between the two separate 670s to the one PCB 295X2.

Dual gpu cards are SLId/Crossfired cards on the same PCB, they only take up less space and overheat easier.

WHat is "u" stutter? Is that short for Micro?

Cul's experience, while legit, also came from AFTER both camps have made improvements with drivers (the 295x2 anyway, that was a very recent purchase).

I had one prior to the changes and saw microstutter in my experiences. A dual card doesn't make a difference as its still a dual card. Remember from your reading, the problem isn't in the PCIe slot/bandwidth. ;)

For the 'micron' symbol, its Alt+230. ;)

This is what you were looking for - µ

http://usefulshortcuts.com/alt-codes/maths-alt-codes.php

Last edited:
U-stutter is micro stutter right? Just making sure. If it is the I have this to say......

When I put together my 270x and 7850 the stutter was horrible to the point of unusable, but with a few setting tweaks it has calmed down to the point of *barely* noticeable. What I mean is that only a perfectionist would be unhappy with the end result. Most of the reading I did do seemed to say that you wouldn't ever be able to get rid of it entirely, while still others say it doesn't exist :shrug:

I do not know if the stutter differes from card to card though (which I think is the meat of your question)

U-stutter is micro stutter right? Just making sure. If it is the I have this to say......

When I put together my 270x and 7850 the stutter was horrible to the point of unusable, but with a few setting tweaks it has calmed down to the point of *barely* noticeable. What I mean is that only a perfectionist would be unhappy with the end result. Most of the reading I did do seemed to say that you wouldn't ever be able to get rid of it entirely, while still others say it doesn't exist :shrug:

I do not know if the stutter differes from card to card though (which I think is the meat of your question)
His question is about Dual-GPU cards (2 GPUs on one PCB).

ED, for dual GPU cards doesn't the SLI or Xfire link between the GPU's have less latency and more bandwidth than going over an SLI or Crossfire cable?

The difference would not be noticeable, and I think for compatibility reasons the interface between the gpus is the same as a normal sli/xfire setup.

The only main advantage dual gpus have is that they are on a single pcb, other than that they are the same.

Back