• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sometimes my SSD opens stuff very slowly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

I have a Samsung Evo SSD 500GB and 2 Seagate HDD in my PC.

Thing is sometimes it takes ages to open a file or "This Pc" icon. I can understand the 2 HDDs but right now I wanted to open a picture from the SSD (on Desktop). I got the window of "Foto" app and than I waited for at least 2-3 seconds before png loaded. It is less than 600 Kb btw. I could hear the mechanical drives spinning up as well although the file was on the SSD. If I try it right now it opens instantly

Any ides on what is causing this?

Win 10
3570k @ 4.4 GHz
16 GB RAM
GTX 770

Doesn't mean anything, the moment you open "This pc" windows will start to "check" anything that is in there.

Get CrystalDiskInfo and post the smart data here for every drive you have in your pc

I couldn't find the smart data anywhere (please excuse me for my ignorance) But Health Status is good on each disk. And temps range between 30-32. This PC opening I can live with, I understand that it needs to check all the disks which might be sleeping or whatever, but SSD, I thought it should be instant opening small files from one of those. As OS and all programs are stored there as well

As I said before, get CrystalDiskInfo, it is a program that will get the smart info for you.
If you are still unsure just google "how to get s.m.a.r.t data"

A couple more questions,

How old are the HDD drives?

Did a similar behaviour occur with your previous os?

Do you hear any other sound except the drives spinning up?

How do you know "Health status" is good? Are you using samsung magician to get this info?

As far as I can tell it might be windows simply acting up, I had an old drive that I used as storage and every time I would open the computer folder it would hang for about a second or two and I would hear the drive spinning up.
That drive died 1 year after I noticed this behaviour.

Drives go into sleep mode when not used to increase their lifespan, and windows won't do anything else until it knows everything is ready.

Have you tried disconnecting the two HDD's and only running the SSD?
Simply to test if they are the problem or not.

Let us know what the SMART data says, it's literally as easy as running CrystalDiskMark.
You can just upload a screenshot to the forum and we'll be able to tell if all is well.

The drive controller will not access data on any drive connected to it till all drives report "Ready" as a data loss preventative measure that was born out of RAID controller rules that applies to all IDE, SAS, and SATA controllers. So, your lag is due to the drives having to spin up and report their "Ready" status

I got this as an answer and got it confirmed by doing what ATMINSIDE said. Disconnected everything and no problems anymore. I guess HDDs spinning up to confirm they are ok and ready is slowing me down. Guess I'll have to live with that at least on this system

One option is to change the Windows settings to disallow the HDD's from spinning down.

I tried that to, and it seems to help as well. But how is that on the drives? I mean having them on all the time?

It's actually better for the drives, spinning up/down is the most stressful. You're talking about something here which is purely for power savings.

yeah well consider that drives are used to spin all the time, 10 years ago we had windows on HDD only and we all know how windows likes to constantly write and read on the hd, they will survive

Back