• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zotac 980 ti amp extreme sli w/ fx9590?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1033ruben

Registered
hello to all as stated in the post title i have a few questions, so let me start of by giving a little history of my rig so in oct. of 2015 i upgraded my rig from asrock p5dbe(think thats what it was only had it a few months) with a xeon x5470 to an asus crosshair V formula z with an fx9590 now i am super happy with this rig but i would get huge amount of screen tearing when playing on my 4k 49" ips panel monitor so i went ahead and bought another 980ti from zotac amp extreme so i have them in sli, okay so now to my questions. okay first ? is why when overclocking my cpu do i get such a lower score in fire strike ultra here is the link to it http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12858285? that is with my cpu overclocked to 5.1 ghz and this one is with my cpu at the stock speed of 4.7ghz with turbo core off http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12858989? now we are talking about a 3000 points difference in score which is not small potatoes. so some things that i have check include temps gpus were around 60-70 degrees C and cpu was at 50 degrees C, power draw from my rig which was right around 850 watts at the maximum,i have a 1200watt psu. so idk im stumped. maybe some of the professionals on here know whats going on, because i sure dont. okay now on to my other questions okay when it comes to cpu usage which should i believe HW monitor or my msi aftreburner OSD. you see whenever i play a game my msi afterburner OSD says i only am using about 50-60% of my cpu usage but when i finish playing and look at HW monitor it says 100% of cpu was being used so which one of these is correct.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE
RUBEN

Only one GPU one the first score...

You did not run FS with SLi. One of the 980Ti's was disabled for whatever reason.

You had screen tearing so you went out and bought another GPU :screwy:??? You are aware that Vsync would have taken care of that, right?

The links you list.. the difference is one card versus two. ;)

SLI 980Ti's on an AMD processor, even the 9950, has a glass ceiling on it, that is why your CPU is being pegged.

You had screen tearing so you went out and bought another GPU :screwy:??? You are aware that Vsync would have taken care of that, right?

The links you list.. the difference is one card versus two. ;)

SLI 980Ti's on an AMD processor, even the 9950, has a glass ceiling on it, that is why your CPU is being pegged.

Even when o'clocked to 5.1 Ghz? That's sad.

Not sure either.. but it says one, and the score reflects one card, while the one that says 2, reflects a score for 2.

also can u guys tell me the answer to the hW monitor/msi OSD Question.
THANKS YOU
RUBEN

Look at task manager and see... also what are you looking at in hwmonitor...peak use? Make sure you are looking at oeak use for msi ab osd as well so you are comparing apples to apples...

...how about a screenshot please. :)

You are aware that Vsync would have taken care of that, right?
do i need to have it on or off sorry im new to the whole gaming on pc world.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
RUBEN

- - - Updated - - -

my bad idk why but when i load my 5ghz profile from the bios my sli wasnt configured here is my new score with the sli on. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12891352? it is a little better but not by that much.
THANKS
RUBEN

Look at task manager and see... also what are you looking at in hwmonitor...peak use? Make sure you are looking at oeak use for msi ab osd as well so you are comparing apples to apples...

...how about a screenshot please. :)
Yes i am looking at peak use in HW monitor and i am looking at the the real time cpu usage in MSI after burner idk maybe it is just where it peaks here and there as HW has/shows the max as where msi just shows the real time usage. and idk how to take a screenshot of the game and show you the hw shot as well.
THANK YOU
RUBEN

do i need to have it on or off sorry im new to the whole gaming on pc world.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
RUBEN

- - - Updated - - -

my bad idk why but when i load my 5ghz profile from the bios my sli wasnt configured here is my new score with the sli on. http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12891352? it is a little better but not by that much.
THANKS
RUBEN

v-sync on should get rid of tearing that is seen, assuming you are pegging at 60fps (assuming that's the refresh rate of your monitor)

v-sync on should get rid of tearing that is seen, assuming you are pegging at 60fps (assuming that's the refresh rate of your monitor)

i am pegging well above 60 like 100-120FPS so i need to have it on. okay. and yes that is the refreshrate o my monitor/tv.
THANKS
RUBEN

When running SLI on AMD FX you should speed up the NB and HT busses. What is your ram set to?
Also 3DMark FS may not be the best benchmark to use. When it comes to FX it hobbles the combined score running only on 4 cores.
But running 2 vs one you're pretty much doubling your GFX score so it looks about right.
Here's one run on Skylake 6700k at 4.5 your GFX score is better but it takes you in Physics combined. You're right in the ballpark now http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11741229?

Last edited:
When running SLI on AMD FX you should speed up the NB and HT busses. What is your ram set to?
Also 3DMark FS may not be the best benchmark to use. When it comes to FX it hobbles the combined score running only on 4 cores.
But running 2 vs one you're pretty much doubling your GFX score so it looks about right.
Here's one run on Skylake 6700k at 4.5 your GFX score is better but it takes you in Physics combined. You're right in the ballpark now http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11741229?
thanks for your help johan i have the ram set to 1866 mhz which is what the ram is suppose to be but when i leave it on auto it is at 1333 mhz also what about the NB & HT buses should i go up one on those.
THANKS IN ADVANCE
RUBEN

Is the only reason the FX-9590 system is getting a better graphics score than the skylake 6700 system because the FX-9590 system has its GTX 980Ti cores and memory overclocked by 100 Mhz relative to the skylake system?

Is the only reason the FX-9590 system is getting a better graphics score than the skylake 6700 system because the FX-9590 system has its GTX 980Ti cores and memory overclocked by 100 Mhz relative to the skylake system?
Yes. The Physics score is CPU only.

Back