• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video card prices are plummeting (except for the 1000 series) Should I hold out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Because it isn't a BIOS change ;)
I was looking for the same Bios update for Gigabyte that MSI has.;)
For those who prefer not to use the MSI Gaming App but still want to enjoy the same ‘OC Mode’ performance by default, we have released an alternative vBIOS with ‘OC Mode’ enabled by default.”

Just because MSI released a BIOS with OC Mode as default doesn't mean Gigabyte did ;)

All the Gigabyte BIOS's for the 1070 G1 are listed here, they all have the same clock speed.

I like the idea of being able to change a card's settings by updating the BIOS on the card. Sometimes it's nice to be able to tweak each individual piece of hardware with specialized software, but it gets to a point at which it becomes annoying. My motherboard, hard drives, GPU, etc all have their own utility software. My RAM has software that controls how frequently the LED pulses. Yep, that's right... even my RAM has its own utility. After the "yippie" phase of having a new system wears off, I'm going to want to delete all of that bloated junk and just cruise. With that reality in mind, creating a separate BIOS which allows a GPU to boot in whichever specific mode users' prefer seems borderline genius. I gotta hand it to the guys at MSI, that was a smart move.

^Actually, you can do that on all nVidia card with 2rd party apps.

Don't know if Pascal is supported yest (as I don't have one... yet ;)), but I modded all my bioses from Fermi to Maxwell.

I like the idea of being able to change a card's settings by updating the BIOS on the card. Sometimes it's nice to be able to tweak each individual piece of hardware with specialized software, but it gets to a point at which it becomes annoying. My motherboard, hard drives, GPU, etc all have their own utility software. My RAM has software that controls how frequently the LED pulses. Yep, that's right... even my RAM has its own utility. After the "yippie" phase of having a new system wears off, I'm going to want to delete all of that bloated junk and just cruise. With that reality in mind, creating a separate BIOS which allows a GPU to boot in whichever specific mode users' prefer seems borderline genius. I gotta hand it to the guys at MSI, that was a smart move.
+1 To getting rid of bloatware, it's bad enough when you want to do a clean install of windows to look for a problems like windows registry, then you have to add everyone's hardware software not for me.

The only problem I see with changing BIOS' out is the possibility that the card will brick. While not too common, the term "brick" was coined for that eventuality. That doesn't happen because it's impossible, that happens because it has occurred enough to warrant its own description. I hate extra software as much as the next guy (more than some) but it is safer than BIOS swapping as a way to tune a chip.

^If it happens, always good to have a spare GPU, or IGP...

It happened to me dozens of times, while trying different bioses on 290x's cards.

Thing is, 90% of it, you don't need. If you want your GPU to come up at a certain speed, set the software to start with windows and do it.. or, just have a hotkey. There are plenty of ways around it.

The BIOS has nothing to do with the MSI Gaming App... it is software/windows based and changes the clocks when you press the button. ASUS has software, Giga has software for their cards... they are all smart, but not because their apps mess with the BIOS. ;)

The only problem I see with changing BIOS' out is the possibility that the card will brick. While not too common, the term "brick" was coined for that eventuality. That doesn't happen because it's impossible, that happens because it has occurred enough to warrant its own description. I hate extra software as much as the next guy (more than some) but it is safer than BIOS swapping as a way to tune a chip.

Risks with flashing a BIOS (more so with another vendor's BIOS):

Phantom TDP-overage throttling Shows up as stuttering/jerky Heaven animation. Clock frequencies bob up and down.

Random video driver crash or app crash when switching from 3D to 2D or vice-versa.

Random red screen.

What do you have, really? And what does it affect, really? Heres what i do...

For my ssd, i install the software. I make sure it does not start with windows or run in the tray.
I dont buy ram with bling.
My motherboard software is also installed but does not run on startup or in the tray. Use as needed (rarely - setup fan profiles if needed).
Gpu software... again, installed, but does not start with windows or run in the tray. I start it as needed.

All this software is, for thw kost part tiny foot lrint stuff. No harm with installing it... or frankly running it in the tray on modern pcs.

my issue with all these speed profiles is the throttling when they get to hot. i get it helps with gpu life but the speed switching does induce a stuttering into the game, if it happens enough you notice it more. it seems to me though that if your going to offer profiles like this then you gpu-cooling solution better keep the card from throttling. as there is now real way to know what difference the speed increase helps(im just saying in general here). As that higher clock means nothing if it only happens for 5-10secs of that benchmark run, yea it might help but for what another 10fps in a area with not much going on(just saying in general here). why can NV and others when they give us these cards with these profiles give us cards that will run these clocks with no issues at all and keep going full steam. i dont like the idea of it slowing down cause its getting to hot, the fans should ramp up to cool the gpu. thats what the cooler is designed to do COOL THE GPU, if someone doesnt like the noise then they should down clock the card.

YOU CANT HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH.

i hate the idea of offering cards with clock speeds just to show off "hey ours is the fastest clocked card out there" it doesnt matter if its only going to be that speed for 5-10secs and vanish back into the ether. then to only reappear after you stopped playing games and the gpu has cooled back down. what im getting to is that while people may not like noise, you need noise to cool the gpu or you need to give up the clock speeds. either your willing to admit it or not changing clock speeds based on temps leads to stuttering from the gpu switching clock speeds.

What do you have, really? And what does it affect, really? Heres what i do...

For my ssd, i install the software. I make sure it does not start with windows or run in the tray.
I dont buy ram with bling.
My motherboard software is also installed but does not run on startup or in the tray. Use as needed (rarely - setup fan profiles if needed).
Gpu software... again, installed, but does not start with windows or run in the tray. I start it as needed.

All this software is, for thw kost part tiny foot lrint stuff. No harm with installing it... or frankly running it in the tray on modern pcs.

I stream line my PC NO startup programs, it idles 0-6% cpu usage just with windows 10, back in year 2000 it was 0% CPU usage on my PC. The modern PC is becoming more bloated faster than Gaining IPC and latency reduction improvement. I don't even keep my web browser open when I game because of little ticks it causes. I don't like the software industry also some hardware industry thinking CPU cycles and latency on a modern PC is just so plentiful.

The modern PC has not gone that far in latency with DDR 1 to DDR 4 we keep looking at bench marks that have not improved with each new memory step over the years from DDR1 to now. DDR1 400 is 2CL (10 ns 17.5 ns 27.5 ns) DDR4 2400 15CL (12.51 ns 13.76 ns 15.43 ns) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency were not at picoseconds with memory latency.

The i7 6700k is 4.0GHz with 14 (16 with fetch/retire) pipeline stages compared to my Pentium III 700 10-stage pipeline is approximately only 5.7 time faster IPC with 3 more cores also HT.

Dont get lost in the minutia Wingy... I haven't closed crap out of my PC since 2000. Now days, because of the increases in IPC and other system improvements, there isn't a need to close out of anything. Not at all. KKeeping my browser open doesn't cause ticks. For this moment, I have 2 Chrome sessions (totaling 10 tabs), Edge, Steam, and MS Excel up... no stuttering or 'tick'.

my issue with all these speed profiles is the throttling when they get to hot. i get it helps with gpu life but the speed switching does induce a stuttering into the game, if it happens enough you notice it more. it seems to me though that if your going to offer profiles like this then you gpu-cooling solution better keep the card from throttling. as there is now real way to know what difference the speed increase helps(im just saying in general here). As that higher clock means nothing if it only happens for 5-10secs of that benchmark run, yea it might help but for what another 10fps in a area with not much going on(just saying in general here). why can NV and others when they give us these cards with these profiles give us cards that will run these clocks with no issues at all and keep going full steam. i dont like the idea of it slowing down cause its getting to hot, the fans should ramp up to cool the gpu. thats what the cooler is designed to do COOL THE GPU, if someone doesnt like the noise then they should down clock the card.

YOU CANT HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO.
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH.

i hate the idea of offering cards with clock speeds just to show off "hey ours is the fastest clocked card out there" it doesnt matter if its only going to be that speed for 5-10secs and vanish back into the ether. then to only reappear after you stopped playing games and the gpu has cooled back down. what im getting to is that while people may not like noise, you need noise to cool the gpu or you need to give up the clock speeds. either your willing to admit it or not changing clock speeds based on temps leads to stuttering from the gpu switching clock speeds.
I don't know of a card that holds its clocks for 5-10s that doesn't have a thermal problem. I don't see the hitching you speak of when it changes clocks...(and I haven't seen anyone complain about it either across 3 sites). The difference in FPS from dropping a boost bin is negligible (in teh case of Pascal, 13 Mhz). I would bet my life says you wouldn't have a clue if I raised and lowered GPU clocks speeds a boost bin or two...

What would be helpful to know is how NVIDIA markets their cards/clocks. Open up GPUz. See the clocks there? Base clock, memory clock, then boost clock. EVERY SINGLE GPU (that I know of, LOL) boosts WELL past that MINIMUM boost clock that GPUz lists. In many cards, the actual boost clocks are 100 MHz higher give or take. The boost that is listed in GPUz is the MINIMUM boost. Anything above that is gravy. You are losing the 'gravy' part a bin at a time depending on power used, temps, etc. When you go to their website, they advertise that same MINIMUM boost. They don't show you the highest/typical bin, they straight up show minimum boost. So, in reality, you nearly always getting MORE out of the card than their site would say!!!!

Last edited:
Back