• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Windows Boot Manager"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

So, I recently installed Windows 10 Pro to a old hard drive so I can retest it after it's original crappy performance with some of my games (gave some time for drivers to get updated, etc)

I noticed "Windows Boot Manager" on the drive it's installed on in my mobo's BIOS.

This is not displayed on the SSD boot option (where my Windows 7 install is)

What is that? Why hasn't it been used in previous Windows versions?

It's got a name like a virus would have, lol...
"Slow startups?"
"Fix your computer now!"
"Install Windows Boot Manager 2016!"

Every time I have added a HDD to my W7 rig Windows puts the Boot Manager on it. M$ apparently likes it that way because I have yet to find a way around it. I don't want to go in the config file on the BM but I've considered it. I first discovered it when I took a storage drive out and then the computer wouldn't boot. I had to boot from the DVD and go through the startup repair. It's stupid, it's aggravating, it's Microsoft. Windows likes to hide the Recycle Bin on random drives, too.

If you pre-arrange your HDD/SSD into what how you want it and install Windows on it (don't use delete/format/new, just select and click next), it wont create the 100/200/500mb boot and at least 7/8.1 work just fine without it, never tried with 10 :confused:

W7 moves the boot file when I add a HDD to the computer. I'll install 7 with only one HDD in the case, and if I add a HDD a month or a year later I get what I described above. Removing the second drive results in a no boot situation and I have to run startup repair, which tells me my boot file is corrupted and must be repaired.

So, I recently installed Windows 10 Pro to a old hard drive so I can retest it after it's original crappy performance with some of my games (gave some time for drivers to get updated, etc)

I noticed "Windows Boot Manager" on the drive it's installed on in my mobo's BIOS.

This is not displayed on the SSD boot option (where my Windows 7 install is)

What is that? Why hasn't it been used in previous Windows versions?

It's got a name like a virus would have, lol...
"Slow startups?"
"Fix your computer now!"
"Install Windows Boot Manager 2016!"

For drives that don't have Windows, I would wipe them...

Back