• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I overclock correctly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTXPlayer

Hi, I'm new to overclocking, and I followed a guide on this forum for my 2500k CPU, but I have a couple questions as I fear I may have done something wrong during the process. I followed the guide for overlocking to 4.5GHz (4500MHz).

After overclocking, I proceeded to open HWMonitor to check the temps, clocks etc. However, the clocks don't seem to have changed. They're still showing as "3392MHz" per core. Would this not adapt to the new clocks?

Also, when I use Task manager and the Performance tab, the value for "Speed" is static at 3.36GHz. Previously, this used to show jumps, both small jumps when running without large load, and it used to show the jump in Turbo Clock to 3.7GHz. Now it shows neither, and is pure static. Is this normal?

There were a few things that I changed in the BIOS including but not entirely:
I disabled C5/1 and Speedstep
I disabled Virtualisation (This shows correctly in Task manager as Disabled).

However, I couldn't set LLC (Load-line calibration) to 50%. It gave me either Enabled, Disabled, or Auto. I left it at Auto as it were.

Thanks,
GTXPlayer.

Welcome to the Forums. I'll have to ask you for a bit more information please. Please if you can list your system specs for us. We can better help you if we know what motherboard etc you are using. Off the cuff it sounds like the changes you made in the BIOS did not save properly or you missed a key setting to allow the overclock. But yes please list your gear and let's take it from there :)

Welcome
Z

Mobo: GIGABYTE Z68-DS3 Rev 3.0 (F9) (uses TouchBIOS, but the Windows application is incompatible with Win10)
CPU: i5-2500k
GPU: 660 Ti OC
RAM: 8GB Corsair @1333MHz, 2x 4GB.

The thing is, when I went to apply the actual overclock (Max Turbo rating as listed in that guide thread), it was listed as a different name which was strange. It had it listed as x33 which is the exact stock clock, not taking into account Turbo clock of my CPU. Not sure what I did wrong :/

- - - Updated - - -

Mobo: GIGABYTE Z68-DS3 Rev 3.0 (F9) (uses TouchBIOS, but the Windows application is incompatible with Win10)
CPU: i5-2500k
GPU: 660 Ti OC
RAM: 8GB Corsair @1333MHz, 2x 4GB.

The thing is, when I went to apply the actual overclock (Max Turbo rating as listed in that guide thread), it was listed as a different name which was strange. It had it listed as x33 which is the exact stock clock, not taking into account Turbo clock of my CPU. Not sure what I did wrong :/

And the rest: I though I could edit my post:
Monitor: 2367M (1920x1080@60Hz)
iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000
System Drive: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (SSD)
Sec. Drive: 1TB Seagate ST1000DM003-1ER162 (SATA)

My SSD is in AHCI mode (switched from IDE).
RAM timings: 9-9-9-24

IIRC I think you need to use just the multiplier setting. I took a look at what I think your BIOS screen looks like and you'll need to set the CPU Clock Ratio to x45. Seems that x33 is default.

Z

IIRC I think you need to use just the multiplier setting. I took a look at what I think your BIOS screen looks like and you'll need to set the CPU Clock Ratio to x45. Seems that x33 is default.

Z

I went back into the BIOS to see if it had applied, and it hadn't.

I adjusted the Voltage again like this:
Stock: 1.224
I added 0.120 to get 1.345, as I couldn't increment in individual digits.

Set the Multipler from x33 to x45, and it booted twice, but could load Windows. It told me there was a failure of some sort and it then changed the settings for me.
I did notice that "Real-Time changed in OS" had changed to disabled. Not sure what that does.

What would you recommend I do? Go over the voltage slightly instead of under?

- - - Updated - - -

**could not load Windows

Okies we are on to something now. I'll suggest changing the multiplier to x44. Lets back off a little bit and see where this chip is at. Not all chips are created equal as it were. Let's try to get it stable . . . or at least booting before we start adding volts.

Z

Okies we are on to something now. I'll suggest changing the multiplier to x44. Lets back off a little bit and see where this chip is at. Not all chips are created equal as it were. Let's try to get it stable . . . or at least booting before we start adding volts.

Z

Went to x44 and got 3x BSODs of different kinds :/

Went back to x33 and it's all fine. I think I might work upwards instead of downwards.

That sounds like a good idea. Work your way up till its unstable then we can add a bit of volts to it and get it stable. Most of the 2500/2600k 's will do 4.5 @ about 1.35 volts. Im guessing you may need a bit more to be stable at 4.5. Keep us posted.

Z

That sounds like a good idea. Work your way up till its unstable then we can add a bit of volts to it and get it stable. Most of the 2500/2600k 's will do 4.5 @ about 1.35 volts. Im guessing you may need a bit more to be stable at 4.5. Keep us posted.

Z

4GHz without problems so far :)

What are you using to cool your chip? As you increase the multi it will become unstable. At that point we will need to add a bit of volts but as long as you stay under 1.45-1.50ish you are safe. If you are using the stock cooler you may have issues with it running too hot.

Z

Hi, I'm new to overclocking, and I followed a guide on this forum for my 2500k CPU, but I have a couple questions as I fear I may have done something wrong during the process. I followed the guide for overlocking to 4.5GHz (4500MHz).

After overclocking, I proceeded to open HWMonitor to check the temps, clocks etc. However, the clocks don't seem to have changed. They're still showing as "3392MHz" per core. Would this not adapt to the new clocks?

Also, when I use Task manager and the Performance tab, the value for "Speed" is static at 3.36GHz. Previously, this used to show jumps, both small jumps when running without large load, and it used to show the jump in Turbo Clock to 3.7GHz. Now it shows neither, and is pure static. Is this normal?

There were a few things that I changed in the BIOS including but not entirely:
I disabled C5/1 and Speedstep
I disabled Virtualisation (This shows correctly in Task manager as Disabled).

However, I couldn't set LLC (Load-line calibration) to 50%. It gave me either Enabled, Disabled, or Auto. I left it at Auto as it were.

Thanks,
GTXPlayer.

FYI, you don't need to disable virtualisation. Does doing that even noticeably reduce temps or power consumption??? I doubt it, unlike disabling HT on an i7.

But, what you should have done, was just set the LLC to "Enabled". If you don't, you may have random boot failures when OC'ing your CPU...

Last edited:
FYI, you don't need to disable virtualisation.

But, what you should have done, was just set the LLC to "Enabled".

Ok, thanks.

I'll change that the next time I boot up. I decided to hold at 4.4GHz, as I'm already at the 1.356v mark. Maybe I will push it after getting better cooling. My temps are stable at 60-65 when playing my games, so it's about right I guess.

Thanks for help guys :)

Back