• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate: NEVER Again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eskimochaos

:mad:

Well I lost my second Seagate HD today. The first one let go about a year ago and was a 2TB drive full of RAW picture files. It failed 6 hours after completing its first Crashplan backup.

My second drive died today, a 1TB one. I moved my computer case to install some new 4TB HGST NAS drives, rebooted the computer, and got clicking from the Seagate. Tried hitting it, bashing it, it is dead. I lost all my data on this drive (my fault) but it was music and games. I no longer game on my PC and most of my music is now streamed anyway - live and learn I guess.

I will NEVER be buying another Seagate drive again. I now have a 2TB WD Black and two 4TB HGST NAS drives all synced to Crashplan.

/rant over.

That's unfortunate, I'm glad you had the backup of the pictures at least. I'm sticking with Hitachi.

Stuff like that happens with every single drive manufacturer. I doesn't matter who makes it. Hardware fails, it's a fact of life.
I would be thinking more of why it failed rather than the brand name.

Tried hitting it, bashing it, it is dead.
Perfect.

Last edited:
Seagate has been sliding down hill the past few years... Even still it's rare for a drive to die.
HGST is the most reliable, followed by WD IIRC.

This is where daily file backups and monthly imaging come into play :)

... I'm sticking with Hitachi.

Stuff like that happens with every single drive manufacturer.

A recently purchased 3TB HGST drive failed after an hour or two of operation. The replacement seems to be operating fine.

Two 2TB Seagates both developed remapped sectors (as reported by SMART.) One was over 2700 before I retired it. The other not so much.

My most recent failure was a WD 2TB drive (a Green.) It just out and out quit. It was half of a RAID1 and I have replaced both drives with 3TB HGST drives. After power cycling the WD Green it seems to be working again but SMART reports previous errors.

I have some older 200GB Seagates that seem to be bulletproof. Too bad they don't make them like that any more.

These is really only a few rules when buying a hdd
1) avoid seagate (high failure rate)
2) avoid odd sized drives past 1TB because of their high failure rate compared to even sized drives (1.5TB, 3TB, 5TB)
3) avoid hybrid drives (higher failure rate)

My NAS is full of seagate constellation ES refurb drives. They all do fine enough. I have had drives fail, seagate just as common as their price point mates from toshiba, HGST and WD. Also all of those suggesting HGST over WD remember who owns them

My NAS is full of seagate constellation ES refurb drives. They all do fine enough. I have had drives fail, seagate just as common as their price point mates from toshiba, HGST and WD. Also all of those suggesting HGST over WD remember who owns them

Remember also that WD has kept the HGST production separate from that of WD. While people love to attempt to "debunk" BackBlaze, Backblaze provides factual information in a server pod environment with reliability statistics. Now, how can you "debunk" what is fact? You can't... While it is true that I myself may not use drives in that type of environment, there is still some tell in regards to reliability when thousands of other brand drives run fine while say Seagates keep dye off at a high rate in that same environment.

Personally I've been using a load of WD Black drives for the past 5years or so with great success, but my most recent purchases have been HGST Deskstar 4TB drives as well as HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB/6TB and WD Red 4TB/6TB drives and they have been nice with the exception of the Deskstar NAS being a bit loud for NAS use despite the increased speeds over the WD Reds both in QNAP boxes.

Fact .. harddisk fails .. no matter what brand. Some get lucky can be used for eons , some can fail DOA.

Have backup or/and redundancy like raid for important stuffs.

C'mon, hard drives are considered relatively cheap now days, when thinking of buying one, especially for crucial data, then think of buying two for redundancy.

I've been using raid 1 and 5 for years, also for offline backups, for long unused data, I stored them at two identical copies in two drives, at least with similar capacities.

Experienced multiple drives failures too, either active ones that being used or backup drives, but so far all my data is safe, personal important data is now growing at > 20 TB.

Never care about OS, programs and such as they can be reinstall, or worst, have a drive image on the working/active OS partition.

My two bits of advice.

I've personally had pretty good luck with Seagate drives. Had a bad go of it many moons back with old Deathstar 75GXPs which turned me off of IBM. Had a number of WD deaths following close on the heels of that. Started using mostly Seagate thereafter :shrug:

Hmm, Im here with a Samsung HDD and it worked great till the end of last year, The only problem that occurred is when i torrented something it would say its corrupted, But only with the torrent downloads.
Ive been using this drive since my first personal PC my parents bought me.. It was about 5 years ago. I download and reinstall a lot of games on the HDD and no problems with that. Even ESO works completely fine even though its a 64-85GB game. No lag, No freeze, Everything is good, Though ill have to say goodbye to it next year or so cause ill be replacing it.

My only gripe is that it flat out stopped working. You could hear the platters spin up but the head was not engaging. It was a loud squeaky click.

The WD Black is by far the heaviest drive in my computer. Followed by my HGST and the Seagate was the "lightest". Not that weight equates to reliability but the HGST and WD Black are far more beefy than the Seagate.

Remember also that WD has kept the HGST production separate from that of WD. While people love to attempt to "debunk" BackBlaze, Backblaze provides factual information in a server pod environment with reliability statistics. Now, how can you "debunk" what is fact? You can't... While it is true that I myself may not use drives in that type of environment, there is still some tell in regards to reliability when thousands of other brand drives run fine while say Seagates keep dye off at a high rate in that same environment.

Personally I've been using a load of WD Black drives for the past 5years or so with great success, but my most recent purchases have been HGST Deskstar 4TB drives as well as HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB/6TB and WD Red 4TB/6TB drives and they have been nice with the exception of the Deskstar NAS being a bit loud for NAS use despite the increased speeds over the WD Reds both in QNAP boxes.

number one failure from blackblaze was WD...

hd.png

number one failure from blackblaze was WD...

hd.png

May want to include something beyond 3months o_O

Those reds get no love, lol.

Attachments

• blog-table-q1-2016-cumulative-2.jpg
    blog-table-q1-2016-cumulative-2.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 154
  • drive-stats-2016-q1-failure-by-mfg.jpg
    drive-stats-2016-q1-failure-by-mfg.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 154
And I am exactly the opposite.

Yup. And it has been my experience that we probably represent equal numbers on both sides. It has been a source of amusement for me for years. Between the two they are probably quite equal, but there are scores of people on both sides that swear by or at one or the other.

Yup. And it has been my experience that we probably represent equal numbers on both sides. It has been a source of amusement for me for years. Between the two they are probably quite equal, but there are scores of people on both sides that swear by or at one or the other.

Mainly because of habit I'd say. I had a couple IBM Deathstars that lasted at least 10years before burning to death in a fire, certainly doesn't mean they were reliable, I just had a good run with them. I've stuck with WD over the years due to habit of buying WD and having good luck whereas the couple of Seagates that I had died within 6months to a year. After hearing so much good from HGST I decided to give the brand a try.

Back