• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best CPU / Motherboard overclocking combo July 2016

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
I do have a Microcenter close to me, is that still the best place to get a CPU?
What is the best setup these days for overclocking? What about best half-way reasonably priced setup?
CPU-Motherboard-RAM

Outlet PC had the best price on my new chip, yesterday that is. $345 was the cheapest I found a 6700k. I didn't tear in to every nook and cranny of the internet, but I looked around. They had the best price on my mobo too but not by a lot. Same story with the OS. I can't tell you about "reasonably priced". I went as far as I could with this build. :)

I personally prefer the solely online sellers like Amazon and Newegg. If you buy from a store, sure there's no shipping cost or waiting, but in my experience the price in store makes up for the lack of shipping cost and kinda makes it worth waiting a few days to a week anyhow.

Halfway reasonably priced to me for CPU board and RAM would be around $550 or less. $200-$300 for a good cpu, and another $200 split between the board and RAM. You have to have a Z series chipset for overclocking if you go Intel though, so the only real way to save money there is to get Z87 instead of Z97 (for Haswell CPUs like the i5-4690k and i7-4790k) and I don't think there's a lesser Z chipset for Skylake (i5-6600k and i7-6700k).

Not sure of your budget, but in my opinion if all you need is cpu board and ram something like this seems good: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VVwxYr

With that you spent $430 on the parts you asked about, and for another $250-$300 you can get a GTX 970 to go with it. Some parts can be salvaged from an older rig like an HDD or sometimes you can re-use a case, assuming it's not a pre-built PC like an HP, etc.

Yes plus or minus half a grand for the three. Could go over for exceptionally good price to performance ratio.

6600K (assuming you are gaming only - didn't mention uses...)
Z170 based motherboard (any from say $130+ will be fine for overclocking - motherboards do not matter much these days for 'overclocking potential' - go on features, look, and price)
2x8GB DDR4 3000-3200 CL14 (brand doesn't matter much either, ram is ram is ram for those not benchmarking at hwbot). I wouldn't go less than those speeds as its DDR3 speed with DDR4 latency.

As far as the best deal MC has great deals on CPUs, yes... and some motherboards/combos. You will have to do some shopping on your own though for the best deal. PCPartpicker can help you with that.

Good Luck.

I will visit Microcenter and this info helps. It feels bad being in a situation of not knowing any of this for Skylake, I used to know every chipset and every brand, and why one's better than the other and where to get best deals for them and which CPU offers the best price to performance ratio and all of that and I've been procrastinating diving into this and July 29 is knocking at my door :(

Back