• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Revamping plan....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

As I've mentioned in the general forum, I've finally gotten transferred to the full time IT position. However, this is a 40 hour a week job, and that means I've lost about 20 hours a week overtime. I've got to cut back on a few things.

One of them probably need to be my $200+ /mo power bill.

Currently, in my farm, I've got 1 @ 1080, 3 @ 970, 7 @ 280X/7970, giving me about 2.6 to 2.7 Mppd.

At home I've got 3 machines, 1 with the 1080, 1 with the 970s and 1 with 3 280x cards.

And work I've got 2 machines with 2 280X cards each. That is all they can fit, and these are the only machines I can fold on at work. My previous boss let me fold only on my machines and only if I owned the cards. I'm not going to go beyond that, because changing it is likely to mean I'll lose the ability to fold here at all.

So, here is my plan. I'm going to pull and sell off all my 280X/7970 cards. That will be a drop of about 1.05 M ppd, and remove 1 home machine.

I've almost got enough for another 1080. I'll buy that, and put it in the home machine that has one already. Increase of 750K ppd, for a net drop of 300 K ppd.

I'll move the 970s to my work machines. They are on Linux now, so figure a slight drop, but I'm not sure how much. And remove another machine.

I should also be able to squeeze out a 1070 purchase for my remaining work machine slot, for an increase of 500 K ppd for a net of about 200K ppd.

Anybody see a flaw in this plan?

$200+ /mo power bill

Heck - I would LOVE a power bill of only $200! That usually only happens to me in the winter here.

My power bill for the month of June was $427! :D

Heck - I would LOVE a power bill of only $200! That usually only happens to me in the winter here.

My power bill for the month of June was $427! :D

Realize I also have no A/C at all, and I'm on oil heat. That keeps it down a bit.

no a/c and all those heaters???????????
you must live at the summit of a TALL mountain!!!!!!!!!

ACK - No A/C - no can do!

We have had steady upper 80s, low 90s here in Florida for the past month!

Here is about half of my farm.

The ones on the left are 970s, the ones on the right are top 7970, bottom two 280X.

half farm.jpg

Edit, here is the rest of the farm. The ones on the right are 7970s and the one on the left is a 280X

farm2.jpg

Last edited:
I am fortunate to live in an area where electric is cheap. I live in the death zone of two nuclear power plants. I'm still looking to change out my farm to something that uses less power so I suspect that my farm will eventually look like what you described.

I am fortunate to live in an area where electric is cheap. I live in the death zone of two nuclear power plants. I'm still looking to change out my farm to something that uses less power so I suspect that my farm will eventually look like what you described.
That close eh?

Well, water cool ALL your GPU's, then pipe the water to the power plant's cooling towers! Instant $$$ savings on cooling!

Ok, rest of the farm has been posted. The only thing not showing is my 1080.

don, you should be scared, in Tokyo godzirra allways attacks the power plants..........

Well. I work for my local County government and I can tell you that we have one of the best EOC (Emergency Operations Center) in the State. So I got that going for me. Besides, I bought the "Godzilla" package when I bought flood insurance. I should be covered. Now if Rohdan shows up and knocks my house down before Godzilla shows up.... I'd better check my policy for that.

Well. I work for my local County government and I can tell you that we have one of the best EOC (Emergency Operations Center) in the State. So I got that going for me. Besides, I bought the "Godzilla" package when I bought flood insurance. I should be covered. Now if Rohdan shows up and knocks my house down before Godzilla shows up.... I'd better check my policy for that.

I was able to get an "Act of GODZirra" (correct spelling there - hehe) rider on my policy, but not an "Act of Random Monster" rider...as they change so much.

You're probably not covered...

On the bright side, my hurricane deductible is only $2,500!

I thought that Rohdan was the name of that giant jet propelled turtle that Godzilla was always fighting. You know, it would retract its legs, they would shoot sparklers out of his leg holes and "fly" him away with a string. I'm looking into an "un-natural" act of God rider.

Ugh...

The MSI 1070 was in stock at the egg yesterday, and I have the money but I figured I'd order it first thing this morning at work.

Nope. And everything 1070 went out of stock as I was checking out different models.

Are you concerned about price, or will any 1070 do? The difference between the gaming and the gaming X is the factory OC. If you plan on messing with the profile, go with the cheaper card.

Are you concerned about price, or will any 1070 do? The difference between the gaming and the gaming X is the factory OC. If you plan on messing with the profile, go with the cheaper card.

A little price conscious, but it came back in stock at lunchtime. With Newegg Premier, it should arrive tomorrow. I should be back above 2M ppd in a few days.

Installed and getting about 613K ppd on it right now. That makes about 1.5M ppd from work and 750K ppd from home.

I'm liking the 1070! While I've gotten WU as low as about 520K ppd, I've got one going right now that will take 5 hours and is producing 736K ppd.

Back