• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freeze - FX-9590 on asus 990 fx r2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Color coded. Slot closest to CPU first, and the matching color slot next.

- - - Updated - - -

In this case I think it was the operators fault. The system may be too weak for maximum performance, but it has been working fine running at good speed with no significant heating problems since I removed 16 GB of memory and installed the remaining 16 GB in the correct slots. By working fine, I mean, no more over heating and no more freezes - no troubles - and it will be some time if ever before my actual need for memory exceeds the 16 GB installed.

The ASUS documentation does indicate that 32 GB is a heavy load for this board and suggests the correct memory slots to use. Would have saved me a lot of grief if instead of suggesting, the manual would have said something like, "Use memory slots in this order."

Steve

Edit Add: The correct memory slots on the ASUS MB are slots 1 & 2 nearest the CPU.
You are in single channel then.

IF you read my first post, I've read many of the threads and followed them to no avail. I also know the ASrock rep, as I mentioned. Get the VRM problems, big problem on many lesser MBs. I'm telling you my experience, remember that not ALL solutions work for everyone. You can make comments all day long, or you can choose to be helpful or point us to a specific solution you KNOW works. I found a supposed solution in one thread the poster said works every time. I followed his bios settings, checked his hardware setup, then checked mine. Still didn't work. Done that numerous times. Not worth the effort if my swapping CPUs to other Motherboard works. I acknowledge maybe something is wrong with my MB. If there is a simple solution to fixing the problem, we're all ears. Again, many, and I mean MANY, people can't run 9590 stock on this Asus MB without jumping through hoops. Running stock should be plug n' play and not a 20 step process. I'm repeating, but I've had ZERO problems getting 7 other FX cpus to work on 5 other MBs. It is ONLY the 9590 with the Asus. I ran it on the ASrock for 9 months before getting the Asus MB. Yes, my situation might be atypical but it doesn't mean that it isn'v valid.

Memory was NOT my operator error, that was the original poster. I know where to place my memory, been the same on all dual channel boards for years and I pointed that out. The entire point of forums to share information and assist others.

I know a few people at Asrock also. Enough to get the boards as overclocking 'samples'.

You sound like an experienced guy, so you must already know that all hardware is not created equal. Meaning, you can't just copy somebody else's settings and have it be fine. Every single one is different, that includes the boards also. There are no cookie cutter settings. The 9xxx chips were not meant to be mainstream chips. They are high leakage tweaker's chips. Anything but plug and play. Stout power and cooling are what makes these chips go.

I know a few people at Asrock also. Enough to get the boards as overclocking 'samples'.

You sound like an experienced guy, so you must already know that all hardware is not created equal. Meaning, you can't just copy somebody else's settings and have it be fine. Every single one is different, that includes the boards also. There are no cookie cutter settings. The 9xxx chips were not meant to be mainstream chips. They are high leakage tweaker's chips. Anything but plug and play. Stout power and cooling are what makes these chips go.

Yes, That's why I'm a bit frustrated, I know all rigs and configs are unique. Maybe the reason the guy sold me this system, which I've upgraded, is because he knew something wasn't quite right. I'll try to get it right as time permits. For now, I'm happy to have the two systems stable, but I would like to get it resolved. Yes, the 9590 chips weren't mainstream, not sure if I ever saw one in a major manufacturer system! I do appreciate your input, even if it appears I wasn't listening. :)

Color coded. Slot closest to CPU first, and the matching color slot next.

- - - Updated - - -

You are in single channel then.

No no, I'm just confused again. But I looked a minute ago. Slots 2 and 4 are in use. I have the side panel off, let me look again. Yes, slots 2 and 4 are filled.

Back