• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air cooling with PWM fans, not enough inputs, an idea...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SalemSaberhagen

...seems my Asus z170pro gamer is short a few monitored fans to keep my case happy.

I really hope to find a z99 fan extension card but none are available on ebay now.

So what if I put two fans, one in and one out on straight molex power and then the rest on balanced PWM?

As it is now I have my two front intake on molex power and if I try to set the others on PWM two of them shut completely off?

I also have an odd air cooling loop I am considering "correcting".

Everyone hates it but me.

cooltower.jpg

I'm considering flipping the PSU and orienting the CPU cooler to Horizontal and set both top fans as exhaust.

Flip the PSU so it pulls in from the bottom.
Flip the top fan to exhaust.

Leave it alone. Ya done good.

That said, most cases can be improved by removing the rear grill. Since you have a pull fan on your heatsink, you can even live without an exhaust fan. A humorous example is in this thread.

That said, most cases can be improved by removing the rear grill. Since you have a pull fan on your heatsink, you can even live without an exhaust fan. A humorous example is in this thread.

Well, I cant leave it alone, I ordered 4 more orange Cougar PWM fans in 120 so they all match ... evil scientist cackle! ;)

I guess my main question is can I mate an intake and exhaust at full power and lie to the rest of the PWM system?

- - - Updated - - -

And the side question, I love my temps but would it be worth reorienting the CPU cooler and one of the top fans?

BTW, my temps and OC rock

lottoluck.jpg

I used to have remarkably forgiving results with no case fannage too, as well as witnessing only minuscule improvement from putting a case-exhaust fan in the exhaust path of a device-exhaust fan, such as 'system exhaust' just after a two-fan tower.

I suppose a lot of this comes down to some of the stronger setups not offering much of a discernible advantage under light loads, or even suffering a disadvantage then. RPM regulation comes in handy then, because you can often simply run the fans at <50% (or even 20%) most of the time (browsing, office work, watching films, light gaming). My current setup is based on two stock fans from Phanteks (20cm front intake, 14cm rear exhaust) routed through a PWM header plugged in at CPU fan 2 (SATA plug had to remain unplugged, so perhaps CPU2 relies on voltage regulation after all). I'm using Asrock's software to keep the fans at 20% and the CPU fan as slow as possible for office work. There may be a 10C difference or so, but this still leaves the CPU at 45C tops and the system <40C while sparing my ears when I'm not gaming. Obviously, this wouldn't really work for more demanding users.

Back