• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 10 folding > Linux folding...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
For over a year I had been folding in Linux with client v.7 with my GTX 970; the points production had been considerably better than folding in Windows.

However, I recently installed Windows 10 for one final evaluation, and of course to gauge Win 10 foldability. <--a real word

My graph here shows my weekly folding sessions(weekend warrior), that last 2 of which are in Win 10. The older "spike" during 6/2 to 6/6 was my last folding session in Linux.

So, what are we seeing here? A change in WUs from the AS, or change in policy regarding bonus points? Or, nothing significant?

For over a year I had been folding in Linux with client v.7 with my GTX 970; the points production had been considerably better than folding in Windows.

However, I recently installed Windows 10 for one final evaluation, and of course to gauge Win 10 foldability. <--a real word

My graph here shows my weekly folding sessions(weekend warrior), that last 2 of which are in Win 10. The older "spike" during 6/2 to 6/6 was my last folding session in Linux.

So, what are we seeing here? A change in WUs from the AS, or change in policy regarding bonus points? Or, nothing significant?

Hard to say, if you had been folding all week for last 4 weeks, I could tell you. Although it does look like your getting more points under Win 10, you are using the same flags you used in Linux?

either the slot flags and/or the driver seems to have been holding you back in Linux, a 970 under linux should average right at 300k.

Hard to say, if you had been folding all week for last 4 weeks, I could tell you. Although it does look like your getting more points under Win 10, you are using the same flags you used in Linux?

Yes, configuration same.

either the slot flags and/or the driver seems to have been holding you back in Linux, a 970 under linux should average right at 300k.

Drivers, I'll be checking the version in both Linux and windows.

also a lot of the older core 18 projects have now finished, these were usually lower scoring

I was wondering if this were the case.

Definitely interesting, subscribed. This is a good reminder that optimizing the ppd output for a given machine isn't easy.

Thanks for sharing Tim!!!

Definitely interesting, subscribed. This is a good reminder that optimizing the ppd output for a given machine isn't easy.

Thanks for sharing Tim!!!

winken.gif

Well, I got to decide if I'm keeping this [particular] Win 10 install on this machine, or got back to folding in Linux. In previous times Linux would get 280K++/ppd, and Windows would reap less. I'm thinking that probably I'll in fact do that.

As for the contemplated GTX1070 purchase, that would involve my AMD Phenom II X4 965 rig; Win 10 or Linux takes ample care of its duties, so we'll be seeing what kind of performance that machine can deliver.

I've decided to not use my Windows 7 license to upgrade to W10, and instead re-install Win 7 in dual boot with Linux, for folding. First, I'll collect some folding stats in W10 folding(install HFM.NET) and keep for comparison with Win 7 and Linux.

I'm converting 6 of 8 win7 COAs. I'll keep a couple for VMs. I'd be interested if winten is better for GPU_FAH than win7. Hard to believe Linux would be less than any versions of windows.

Well, I thought that I was going to collect some stats via HFM.net, but configuring a client to monitor from FAH client v7.4x has so far eluded my efforts. :shrug: I didn't spend any time on finding a solution this weekend, but intend to before I wipe W10.

You need some help Tim? Lemme know... you probably need to configure the v7 client to access your local subnet.

Well, I thought that I was going to collect some stats via HFM.net, but configuring a client to monitor from FAH client v7.4x has so far eluded my efforts. :shrug: I didn't spend any time on finding a solution this weekend, but intend to before I wipe W10.

I had to open Guest Sharing in Win 10 for HFM to monitor it after I set V7.4.4 for remote monitoring.

You need some help Tim? Lemme know... you probably need to configure the v7 client to access your local subnet.

I had to open Guest Sharing in Win 10 for HFM to monitor it after I set V7.4.4 for remote monitoring.

A belated thanks you guys for the guidance, however I've ceased my W10 folding and have changed my folding rig to Win 7 and linux, just a couple days ago. :eek:

I think that I've used HFM in Wn7 with the v7.4xx client before, I'd like to use HFM in Linux with the v7.4xx client ; it's been ages but at one point had used HFM in Linux with the v6 client. IIRC Mono was required for running the dot net HFM app.

Your giving your self more work than what is needed. I assume you have more than 1 PC, put HFM on a windows PC and V7.4.4 on the Linux PC and monitor V7.4.4 from the windows PC. I'm monitoring all my folders with HFM in XP Pro 64, that includes my 2 4P's running Linux.

HFM will work in Linux again... and it does require Mono. The current v0.9.6 does not seem to like the newer versions of Mono... but a fix is in the works. See my dissertation in my 4P thread. ;)

Teaser pic...

Attachments

• HFM in Ubuntu.png
    HFM in Ubuntu.png
    89.8 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Your giving your self more work than what is needed. I assume you have more than 1 PC, put HFM on a windows PC and V7.4.4 on the Linux PC and monitor V7.4.4 from the windows PC. I'm monitoring all my folders with HFM in XP Pro 64, that includes my 2 4P's running Linux.

Right now I just have one folding rig, a dual boot(Linux+W7); when I get my 1070 I'll have two folding machines. :attn:

HFM will work in Linux again... and it does require Mono. The current v0.9.6 does not seem to like the newer versions of Mono... but a fix is in the works. See my dissertation in my 4P thread. ;)

Teaser pic...

That's great to hear, this coming weekend will be short, but I'll devote some time to getting set up soon. Ubuntu 16.04 packages the newer versions of Mono, but I'm running Debian 8 (jessie) Stable, which carries Mono 3.2.8+dfsg-10., so we'll see how that goes. ;)

Inconclusive a this point, at least in this case. If I had gotten W10 folding performance collected with HFM, I'd have had something, but for unknown(and moot) reasons I was unable to connect to the FAH v7 client. Having decided not to continue with W10, I am settled into dual booting this machine with Linux and Win 7, so if all drivers and settings are equal, perhaps some OS folding comparisons might be relevant.

That's great to hear, this coming weekend will be short, but I'll devote some time to getting set up soon. Ubuntu 16.04 packages the newer versions of Mono, but I'm running Debian 8 (jessie) Stable, which carries Mono 3.2.8+dfsg-10., so we'll see how that goes. ;)

HFM should work equally well with Mono 3.2.x. The current builds are still targeting .NET 4.0, but I have plans to move it to at least v4.5 soon. Looks like Mono 3.2+ will be applicable for that move.

What's the verdict? Which OS reigns supreme for GPU folding?

I still dunno, haven't taken the time to collect data. :eek: However, my sig rig hit 347,940 points on 08.27.16 running in Win 7 pro x86_64. That's more than I recall producing in Linux with this same machine, so until things change in the Project, I'll just continue with this setup. ;)

Back