• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sneaking up on you Subpar!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
I've got moneys to burn and what better way than to spend it on hardware to overtake you :D
Got some cards in the mail buddy, hopefully it'll show up in 2 weeks or so. - You've got some time to relax. For now!

Next step is to reassemble the FX 6300 rig and get some Nvidia + Linux action but that's for later ;)

Currently sitting at ~200K PPD I'm looking to at least double that very soon.

:burn:

Cards came in today!

Just did some math on the power consumption.....

Both rigs under full load will cost me about $120/month. :(

Reality hit me hard when i realized how much this will cost me!!

I cant install then right now since the 7850 is in the middle of a WU and my PSU in the folding server is too small.

Attachments

• 1468370056356.jpg
    1468370056356.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 155
stop cpu folding.
underclock and under volt.
drop the 7850.

No CPU folding here. I cut that out last year.

I will be undervolting the 3570K to the max. Prolly have it running at 2Ghz rather than 4.2Ghz.
280x's will probably run at 1050Mhz core max. I'll play with that. Dare I say I'll even underclock my GTX 780 too.... :shock:

I just need a PSU now. I'm thinking an 850W Gold will do. Maybe I'll grab another EVGA 850GS.

turn the cpu and the card clocks down.
then you work the clocks back up and check the ppd/watt.
like cpus the gpu has spots that you get good throughput with little or no increase in power draw and you work them at those peaks.
my 8350 is at it's best at around 4.7 when loaded, the curve is pretty flat from 4.8 through 5.1 but peaks again at around 5.2.

3570k sitting at 1.6GHz @ 1.075v
280x's both at stock boost clocks of 1030MHz core 1500MHz memory.

Looking at 308k ppd from it!

So grand total is 445K 457K PPD! Now THAT'S some PPD! :attn: Farm_Total.PNG

Attachments

• 1468454235803.jpg
    1468454235803.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
I switched to higher quality 80+ Gold PSUs to keep my energy costs down.

Yeah thats why i got the 80+ gold one. The NEX 850 bronze was about 20$ cheaper so i didnt think it was worth it to get the bronze

You are officially whomping on me Silver! :clap: Congrats are in order. Your rig has certainly come a long way while mine has stagnated! I must do something about this. Maybe a new card(s)? Ive been meaning to pick up the slack and get the lead out so to speak perhaps this is the kick i need :attn:

On a side note Team 32 is putting up some crazy numbers for the number of users and everyone contributing kicks @SS. :clap:

You are officially whomping on me Silver! :clap: Congrats are in order. Your rig has certainly come a long way while mine has stagnated! I must do something about this. Maybe a new card(s)? Ive been meaning to pick up the slack and get the lead out so to speak perhaps this is the kick i need :attn:

On a side note Team 32 is putting up some crazy numbers for the number of users and everyone contributing kicks @ss. :clap:

There you are! I thought you were in hiding :rofl:

Yeah this folding rig was long overdue as well. Now comes the fun part, keeping up with eachother especially if you grab another card.... A 1070 might be in order to replace the 780 :D

I'm on the look out. Been scouring the classifieds for cards. Looks like I can get 660 ti ish cards for 75-100. There's a 750 ti for 80 bucks that I'm really eyeballing hard. Perhaps in Sept when my b-day rolls around I could talk nice to the wife and get something sweet. 970 or a 1070 or maybe a rx 480. Definitely gotta watch my tdp. I'm spending a bunch of money on electricity.

I'm on the look out. Been scouring the classifieds for cards. Looks like I can get 660 ti ish cards for 75-100. There's a 750 ti for 80 bucks that I'm really eyeballing hard. Perhaps in Sept when my b-day rolls around I could talk nice to the wife and get something sweet. 970 or a 1070 or maybe a rx 480. Definitely gotta watch my tdp. I'm spending a bunch of money on electricity.

RX480 would be interesting to see folding....
970 is what I would look for in terms of Nvidia. Cheaper than a 1070 and still produce about 300K PPD/card. Not bad at all! :thup:

Now don't go buying any new cards okay? I wanna save for some upgrades for my car instead of nabbing a 1070:D

Having some serious issues with the internet here. Modem is reporting transmit errors and invalid timing packets.... Already had a tech repair the modem or satellite (wasnt around to ask questions, not sure what they fixed), regardless, all of my folding rigs were idle all day and night.

Unplugging the modem seems to have resolved it, and everything is folding again :)

I see that ive got ~9 months to bide my time and wait for a good deal... :sn:
the hunt is on :snipe:

I've been scouring the interwebs for gpus Silver. It's looking like I could be a 970 owner pretty quick if I get the aok from the boss :) but probably not till my b-day in September so you've got some time to make headway!

Back