• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sneaking up on you Subpar!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well #15 as of 9am woo hoo! No where to go but down lol. If I could just keep my main rig from fing up every couple weeks I think I could keep ahead of you silver :p

Turns out adding flags was pretty important lol I could've sworn I did it when I got the new card :shrug:

Yeah the flags really do help, I use the client type advanced flag, some use beta but I just want stable folding since i don't always check my folding server

Still plagued by random shutdowns. These new AMD cards are nice but unstable as hell. Other people have similar issues but so far no fix incoming. I was actually playing when the last one happened so I was able to get it going right away. Ugh. Come on amd fix this lol. I would be producing a good chunk if not for the random shutdowns:/

Still plagued by random shutdowns. These new AMD cards are nice but unstable as hell. Other people have similar issues but so far no fix incoming. I was actually playing when the last one happened so I was able to get it going right away. Ugh. Come on amd fix this lol. I would be producing a good chunk if not for the random shutdowns:/

That sucks subpar!!! Maybe up the voltage a bit?

Bah. You're going to have some time to make up some points on me my friend. My rx 470 has decided to **** the bed. Went to go and play some witcher 3 (damn game is the reason my ppd output has been down, it's so good though:thup: ) and the 470 wasn't outputting video as per my original posts. Went through the same routine and it didn't start outputting a signal. Ugh. Going to have to take it to the local shop and see about a new one. It's so new which is nice (warranty) but it'll be out of commission for awhile I'm sure they don't carry that much stock. Maybe they'll sell me on a 480 lol. Anyway fold on.

I have that same addiction...except when I play, it takes one of my Titan X Pascal cards out of commission!

The Witcher 3 is a great game...my current time sink is Elite Dangerous! :thup:

Bah. You're going to have some time to make up some points on me my friend. My rx 470 has decided to **** the bed. Went to go and play some witcher 3 (damn game is the reason my ppd output has been down, it's so good though:thup: ) and the 470 wasn't outputting video as per my original posts. Went through the same routine and it didn't start outputting a signal. Ugh. Going to have to take it to the local shop and see about a new one. It's so new which is nice (warranty) but it'll be out of commission for awhile I'm sure they don't carry that much stock. Maybe they'll sell me on a 480 lol. Anyway fold on.
Dang! Sucks to hear about your 470 subpar!!!

Get that resolved quick! I can't run a marathon without other runners to compete against ;)

I think I'm ok. When i took it in there was nothing wrong with the card so they suggested a full wipe reinstall of the graphics drivers. I did that and so far so good. Hopefully it resolves the video output problem long term as well. Im thinking long and hard about another 470. theres an msi version that is only 260 taxes in (15 rebate as well) thats much cheaper than the strix i initially got. idk maybe the credit card needs a purchase :D

I think I'm ok. When i took it in there was nothing wrong with the card so they suggested a full wipe reinstall of the graphics drivers. I did that and so far so good. Hopefully it resolves the video output problem long term as well. Im thinking long and hard about another 470. theres an msi version that is only 260 taxes in (15 rebate as well) thats much cheaper than the strix i initially got. idk maybe the credit card needs a purchase :D

Maybe eh? At least it's up and running again :thup:

Eventually I'll buy that 1070 I want. Better start catching up!! Hehehe

I went and did it lol I couldn't pass up the $60 cheaper card. And now crossfire is an option if I ever decide to go that way :thup:

I went and did it lol I couldn't pass up the $60 cheaper card. And now crossfire is an option if I ever decide to go that way :thup:

Aww crap. Okay new rule, you can't fold on it till I buy my 1070 :D

That's it! I've had it with these new Rx series cards.... if i could return them both and get a 1080/1070 i would... nothing but problems, the strix 470 just disappears form the top pcie slot, and the restart sequence i was using doesn't work anymore :rain: so far the msi 470 is running OK but the fans have a mind of their own :-/ they'll be running fine and then go to 100% and then cut out completely, I'm so frustrated and with kids and such my time to troubleshoot and figure out the issues I'm dealing with is minimal.
I know the pcie slot is good because when i put the 7970 in it works right away. I may just try a full wipe of win7 and start fresh, its been a couple years so I'm due. Sorry for the vent but I'm angry :mad:
I think Silver that going nvidia is smart, not nearly the problems at least judging by the forum chatter.

Fold on :attn: as best as you can :facepalm:

Damn subpar! That sucks!! I think a wipe and reload of win 7 would definitely help you there. Something is really buggered up :(

Hopefully you get it figured out soon bud!! :thup: Fold on!

Subpar what are you doing? Your average points are increasing!
I still haven't picked up my 1070 yet!!!

Looks like you got it running again eh? :thup:

I haven't wanted to say anything just in case it gets jinxed lol yeah I reinstalled windows and it's been running like a boss ever since. Now that I've said something it's going to crash lol. Not sure I'm going to be able to get the 7970 into my other box without some surgery. And I'm terrified of losing another hard drive in that one, even if everything is backed up the wife almost divorced me last time I borked her hard drive with the first 9 months of my youngest daughters pics and videos. Cost me a bunch of money but I was able to get a company to fix the drive enough to get everything off lol live and learn I guess. Everything is double backed up and I just figured out system imaging and such. Should help me more in the future :D

sucks to say it but, I will.... the 7970/280x are still the workingest things...........

They run like crazy that's for sure! The fans on the one you sent caddi are getting pretty grumbley but they're still spinning lol I keep them about 55% and it quiet and cools below 60 degrees all day long!

That's it! I've had it with these new Rx series cards.... if i could return them both and get a 1080/1070 i would... nothing but problems, the strix 470 just disappears form the top pcie slot, and the restart sequence i was using doesn't work anymore :rain: so far the msi 470 is running OK but the fans have a mind of their own :-/ they'll be running fine and then go to 100% and then cut out completely, I'm so frustrated and with kids and such my time to troubleshoot and figure out the issues I'm dealing with is minimal.
I know the pcie slot is good because when i put the 7970 in it works right away. I may just try a full wipe of win7 and start fresh, its been a couple years so I'm due. Sorry for the vent but I'm angry :mad:
I think Silver that going nvidia is smart, not nearly the problems at least judging by the forum chatter.

Fold on :attn: as best as you can :facepalm:
So Im not quite sure how i ended up in this forum as this is a bit out of my sandbox (I think just because of the new organization of the mobile app) but this post hit home a bit... Kinda:

I recently picked up a 480 Strix and have been having odd issues. Fails Heaven @ stock clocks, wont wake from sleep, memory wont budge 1mhz above stock, etc etc. I did some digging in google and found a reddit post that had a solution for my issues and it might be worth a try here.

DDU/clean uninstall AMD drivers.
Reboot
Navigate to C:AMD (or wherever the directory created by the AMD installer is) and clean it out. Delete everything.
Restart
Reinstall driver package of your choice.

Keep in mind that this was a fix specifically for monitors not waking, but the card seems to perform better in all areas since doing this. Ive still got to run GPU Tweak to be stable @ stock clocks, but that suggests a voltage issue to me (I might contact support about it, but i think i will try a fresh install first because Im due for one anyway). I still cant stabalize the memory either, but i can get halfway theough a bench before failing. As i said, it might be worth a shot. GL

Edit: issue reappeared within hours of making this post after having been fixed for 2 days. Thats what i get fkr trying to lass along helpful info I guess! :)

Last edited:
Back