• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet explorer stops working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WrkBoot

Internet explorer not working

I have been dealing with this off and on for the last two yrs. It really didn't bother me until now. I'm at home all the time taking care of my elderly mother and being on the internet is a BIG part of our liver.
I had Comcast come out and check my cable to see if it on their end or mine,......never did find that out. The man came last Thursday and replaced my modem and said he would check the out side cable....... he just never came back so I ASUME everything was ok.:confused: I have replaced all cat cable going too n from modem to router and to my computers. It will happen just out of the blue, Ill be reading on a forum and it stops responding and if I try to click to another tab a block will pop up saying (Internet explorer has stopped working) then the tab becomes faded.
Now my router is a linksys wireless B model WRT54G and its some(not sure) years old. Does anyone have any idea what I should do or check?

Since windows up date recently for IE 11 it has been real bad, causes a lot of crashing. Use Chrome fore web browsing.

I read the thread title and thought "Yup, that's been my experience". LOL Try running it with no add ons. If that doesn't work you can uninstall it, reboot and reinstall it. But like wingman99 said, it's gotten awful lately. M$ finally had a good browser and then fixed the stability right out of it. It's no better in W 10. I'm using Firefox.

I have 5 separate browsers I use as necessary. Two versions of firefox, one with lots of addons and one with none. Also Palemoon and Tor Browser and they are all portable and run off of a secondary drive on both my systems. (I know, that's like saying you have 4 FF versions but I don't like Chrome and haven't found anything else stable) I used to wish I could uninstall IE. Now I actually use it all the time and never have I had any 'problems' with it. In fact, many sites do not work correctly if I don't use IE11. It is my goto if the others give me any BS. It never fails.
My advice, get a new router. Connection problems are not ever browser related. That is something reserved to the hardware, in this case.

I just go a half dozen "Internet Explorer stopped working and needs to close" boxes in 10 minutes surfing newegg, followed by the attendant "Internet Explorer restarted..." etc. That isn't my router. That's IE 11 delivering massive fail. M$ broke IE 11. It's possible that turning off all the "helpful" data mining is making IE unhappy, but if that's the case then it can stay unhappy. It's a shame, because I like having a couple browsers and I can't stand Chrome or Edge. Oh well, Firefox for me. Pale Moon isn't too bad, so maybe I'll install that too.

IE11 and Edge have been having issues with nVidia drivers since 34*.**, anyone checked if that's been fixed ?

Strange. Never heard of an nvidia/IE issue til now. Go to IE options, advanced, accelerated graphics and check 'use software rendering instead of gpu'. Personally, I will never use nvidia again (just a choice). My tablet is intel graphics, and my desk is amd. I'm curious if that will work. I just had 10 tabs in IE11 open on my tablet for ~ten minutes with no issues using a gig of mem. Even so, if it is nvidia related it is still a hardware issue. As far as routers, I was replying to op, and yes, he should update imo.

Last edited:
You can get an Asus RT-AC52U for as little as $67 though I would opt for at least the Asus RT-AC56U which is about $88 (source: B&H Photo). Get a decent AC type router at the minimum, though a good n9oo will work fine too. I own the RT-N66U and have a small apt. so it works great. I actually want to flash it with something like shibby's tomato firmware but there are some bricking worries which I haven't worked out yet.

I just reinstalled Lunascape6 browser. It has 3 engines for web rendering built-in. Trident (IE), Gecko (FF), and Webkit. The Trident engine is very very fast.
http://www.lunascape.tv/
Did anybody try the use software rendering option in IE? I don't have access to an nvidia system.

Back