• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing ASUS Rampage III GENE W/ i7-950 journal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

I am starting this thread so I can look back at my setting and acquire help OCing this build.

The stock heatsink that came with cpu seems to be crap.

Running prime95 for 3 minutes my max core temps range from 88 to 94. My CPUTIN temp hit 75

I have a few more days until my water block adapter comes in mail. Looks like any attempt at OCing until then would be destructive to my CPU.

Took me 20 minutes of looking but I found out where XMP option is. Was running 533, now 1600 woo woo.

I can work on overclocking my 7950 3GB since I will be using this card for a few more years to come. Should be fine running 1080 for a while.....i hope.

I think 4.4 seems obtainable under water if I have a decent chip with this mobo.

Ahh I remember my R3 Gene. Great X58 board! Managed to get my 920 (C0) to 4.5Ghz rock steady stable back in the day. Can't recall off hand who I sold it to tho.

The 950's aren't good clockers, so 4.4Ghz might be a stretch. Try and find a 920 (D0) stepping instead. Maybe a good C0 stepping will do as well.

Ahhh, well no more money into this old tech for another proc. I bought this stuff from a friend.

Now in want to hit 4.4 even more. 😀

No sleep tonight, 7:50am

GPU: windforce 7950 now core/mem 1200/1600 1.2v/1.5v = ~20% increase in FPS over three different benchmarks.

i7 under water, running prime 95 CPUTIN 50c cores 57-61c Still bleeding system.

Water load temps are 5c more than air idle temps. Wow that stock cooler is crappy.

Go to bed?
Play games?
OC more........Ding

well that cpu is a D0 which is alot better then the C0, really its going to depend on temps. it might be called old tech but the first gen i's are still pretty good. yea i water with a D0 i would be surprised if you got closer to 4.8ghz.

*edit*
my X5660 on my R2G on air with a U12Pse at [email protected] hits 72c under prime load on the hottest core, after that the others are 68-69. maybe im just a fan of the X58's and some older intel chipsets, nothing wrong with newer stuff. the older stuff just seemed more challenging when overclocking vs todays stuff.

Nice board!

I like the older stuff too. I could have gotten something newer awhile ago, but from what I've read here, it seems a tad boring.

At least I saved some cash :p

And having a hexa core that is smooth as silk, I haven't really had a strong urge.

Benchmarks against newer stuff is a bit depressing, but again, first gen stuff is a tad on the crusty side..

Back