• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4K Monitor, is G-Sync worth it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Airbornederekc

I am looking at upgrading to a new monitor now that i have the graphics power to handle it. I was initially torn between a 2K 144Hz Panel and a 4K 60hz panel. I don't think i need to wait, nor could i afford, to get a 120hz 4K monitor so based on the games i play (WOW, Diablo III, Doom, occasional Overwatch) i would be better suited for a 4K monitor at 60hz. The next question will be considering I should always be above 60fps with this hardware, will i see any benefit of using a G-Sync monitor and is it worth the $100 plus price premium? Thanks in advance.

Depends how big $100 is to you. If it's big, then skip it, because as always, nVidia is going to eventually have to support the standard (that being VESA Adaptive Sync), just like they have to support OpenCL. If $100 is something you burn every month on shopping anyway, buy it. It's tech, it'll depreciate anyway, does wasting $100 extra even mean anything? :p

With $1300 in GPU's, I wouldn't sweat the $100 difference on a monitor.

Most people say the G-sync is worth the premium. G-sync allows the monitor match any FPS of the GPU frame rate bellow the max of the monitor refresh rate of 144Hz or 120Hz, so the monitor keeps up with the GPU FPS to match it perfectly. The Higher the FPS the less lag input by the user.

I'm going to hijack your thread with a few questions ;). I'm currently going through this same process and I'll be in your shoes in a few months once the 1080's drop in price.

I have always bought fairly cheap monitors and I am definitely due to invest in something worth while since I've got the funds.

As with Derek, I am attempting to determine if I should...

a.) Buy a good 4K 60Hz monitor now or within the next few weeks

Or

b.) Wait for Asus to come out with their 144Hz 4K monitor they've been working on and shell out a few hundred more.

I know currently the RoG Asus 2K 165Hz monitor costs $1700. I can't justify spending THAT much on a monitor. I'd just buy a TV at that price, but if anyone can recommend a current 4K monitor on the market worth the money or drop some more information on what's up and coming I'd appreciate it.

Sorry I don't have any input about G-Sync! I'm just beginning to read up and learn this stuff myself.

Back