• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another what should I buy thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pak

I just upgrade my GPU and HD to SSD and gtx 970 if I remember correctly. I don't really need to upgrade and my current rig its running strong with the most recent upgrades. My son does play wow on it and he says it does get a little laggy in some of the really crowded PvP world fights, but other than that it runs pretty damn strong.

So I'm looking for a decent cpu/mobo/memory upgrade. If I can, I'd like to use my current water cooling set. If not, no big deal. What's the best bang for the buck right now? I'd like to max out memory capacity and speed to a reasonable degree.

You didn't mention a budget, but bang for hte buck right now I would get 6600K/Z170 based motherboard (any around $150 will be fine for your uses so long as it has the features you need/want), and 2x8GB DDR4 3000-3200 CL14/Cl15. No point in maxing out ram unless you can use it.

Update that sig!!

Though that said, I am not sure if that s775 block will fit s1151...you may need a new gpu block and upgrade a bit from that ancient one. In fact, I don't think it will fit period as you cannot move the screws on the block. That would mean you could only upgrade to s1150/sandybridge/Z87/2600K system. Not something I would do now as for $50-75 more you are on the latest platform.. well, in your case, that would be about 110-$130 more with a modern block.

Last edited:
When I get home, Ill figure out exactly what I just put in here. I don't plan to water cool anything except for the CPU. If I need to buy a new block, I'll probably just go air for the time being. I don't need to do any extreme OC'n. (But give me a few weeks with a new rig. It's in my blood. I'll crank the voltage up.)

As far as budget, If I could stay under $500 I'll be pretty happy. If I spend more, I'll probably still be happy.

+1 I spent $90.00 on my new GA Z170-HD3 motherboard and ran out of air-cooling for going further than 4.5GHz. I'm vary happy indeed. A board around $150 should do you fine.

Back