• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6700k won't go over default 4.0 GHZ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

Specs in sig.

Skimmed a bunch of guides. Thought finding the settings on a mobo tailored to OCing would be easy and it was.

Changed the voltage to 1.32ish
Multi to 46.

It shows the projected target frequency in the bios at 4.6 GHZ, which is correct.
In windows 7, however, it does not go above 4.0 ghz?

I turned off all power saving features in the bios to make sure, still nothing.

The voltage changed correctly, but the multi does not seem to work?

Any ideas?

Screenie below, note multiplier field

UI5EIDj.png

try to make a change in which power plan you are using. even if it is set to performance, make a change to balanced or something. then test again. it could also be a version issue with cpu-z, you could check to see if there is a newer version available

You multiplier is being detected as 8-46 on CPU-Z. So it seems you have EIST on still somehow and you aren't running anything to add a significant enough load? Check that EIST is turned off then try using Prime 95 to stress it.

Check to see that turbo mode is enabled, also, set XMP profile for your memory...and try HWiNFO to see what's happening in windows with Vcore and the clock speed

There are other settings you could change but it should OC with just setting your desired multiplier to 46 and changing manual voltage to what you did..so I'm not sure what's preventing it from doing so but if it's ok in BIOS then it must be windows?

BTW the 1.32 may be completely overkill. Once you get the OC to actually show and you pass your stress test, try to lower the Vcore.

I'm running mind at 4.5 @ 1.26V....haven't really messed around with it to see if it can work with less voltage.

I then set it to Adaptive and set C-states to enabled, all seems to be working just fine

You multiplier is being detected as 8-46 on CPU-Z. So it seems you have EIST on still somehow and you aren't running anything to add a significant enough load?
This... does it change when you put a load on it (how turbo works)?

Check to see that turbo mode is enabled
and this... XMP wouldn't have anything to do with it really...

Alright, so I fixed some things and now it works, XMP enabled, speed step, power saving features on and such and now it properly downclocks like it would at stock and overclocks to my new turbo (4.6 GHZ) when fully loaded. Note my desktop gadget in the screenshot showing 4.0 GHZ (incorrect)

Here's Prime95, according to MSI Afterburner the CPU temps peak around 71C (you can see these peaks on the graph)

Voltage according to CPU-Z is 1.344, even though I manually set it to 1.30

How do I make sure it cannot go over 1.3? On my old SR-2 there was voltage stepping or somesuch feature to accomplish this, didn't see it in the bios for this Hero though.

Also tried ROG RealBench, which got the temps to ~85C, and before it stopped running caused BSOD 0x0EA. No such BSOD with prime 95 and a LOT lower temperatures, although I did manually set the fans in QFancontrol in the bios to always run at 100% prior to running prime 95, when I ran RealBench the fan controls were at their default, which still had the curve set so that they'd go to 100% at 70C or greater, so I don't really understand the temperature discrepancy, or ROG realbench is just more stressing on the CPU? Eh.

Cinebench gets it to 80C as well.

Passed a Firestrike run with similar temperatures, although I realize it's more of a GPU bench.

Is 70-80c acceptable full load temperature ranges? I imagine it will go down if/when I lower voltage

Overclocking kind of stresses me out at first but when I find a 24/7 it's happy times =P

jMdSEU8.png
WFl0qxC.png

Last edited:
I was wondering what was your stock voltage at 4.0GHz with prime 95? you might not need that much of a increase for 4.6GHz.

Stock voltage was like 1.28 volts at load.

Here's another test (new exhaust fan installed, got a lot lower temps)

aPWtRjR.png

I DID NOT set it to 1.344 volts, I set it in manual (not adaptive) mode to 1.3 volts.

Why does it go over this? I don't want 1.344 volts, it almost certainly does not need that much voltage for 4.6 Ghz.

Overall a max temp of ~70c for this test is not too bad, although with the voltage lowered I bet I could get lower temps/higher overclock.

Although I don't know what setting to change to make it stop overvolting on manual mode -_-

It's a very very low graphic score in Fire Strike... You should be at least in the 20K+ range.

Sorry if I did not reply to your question. Lowering the load line calibration maybe?

I don't know if that's very clear, but I don't have two 295x2's, I only have 1. (two GPUs, not 4)

In any case, I just checked my bios version and apparently the version I was running was from when the board first came out/first released/first tested etc. Basically the oldest bios that existed for this mobo.

So I updated it to v. 1701 from 0401, hopefully this will improve something or other/fix voltage issues. Testing atm

Are you guys running the same benchmarks...which FS?

Cul, please manage your 4K screenshots...they are HUGE. You can move things to one part of the screen/crop, etc... LOL

If you are getting 25K with 2 290x (AKA 295x2, LOL), then he doesn't have CFx enabled it doesn't appear...

Something else to consider... that 25K result was done with a 4.8 GHz CPU. Graphics scores will scale with clockspeeds when using SLI/CFx/multi gpus. Not that it will scale to 25K, but just saying we are dealing with a 4 Ghz part and a 4.8 GHz part.

^Absolutely, it is a single 290X score.

Edit: it is FS 1080p/standard. He scores in the lower 10% and should get between 17k and 20k with his setup.

Stock voltage was like 1.28 volts at load.

Here's another test (new exhaust fan installed, got a lot lower temps)

aPWtRjR.png

I DID NOT set it to 1.344 volts, I set it in manual (not adaptive) mode to 1.3 volts.

Why does it go over this? I don't want 1.344 volts, it almost certainly does not need that much voltage for 4.6 Ghz.

Overall a max temp of ~70c for this test is not too bad, although with the voltage lowered I bet I could get lower temps/higher overclock.

Although I don't know what setting to change to make it stop overvolting on manual mode -_-

You may be just getting a different reading also some boards give more voltage under load, just lower the V core amount till you have what you want in CPU-Z. Did the Bios update change anything?

Back