• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New GTX 1070, few questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you are hittimg the power limit, you are essentially done. You have two choices...

1. Mod the bios and raise the power limit.
2. Lower your overclock a bit so you dont hit the power limit and drop boost bins (clockspeeds).

Last edited:
When I say hitting the power limit. I mean it 112 two or three times throughout the whole test . The majority of the test it was around 102 to 107 .. Does that mean I still have a little more in there ?

So essentially what would happen if I bump up the clocks another hundred megahertz tonight ?

As i said, you are, for all intents and purposes, done. If you increase the clocks without adjusting tbe power limit, you will throttle more. Your go is to find the highest clock without tbrottling or minimal as you are seeing now.

Essentially, you are going to hit that limit more frequently and cause throttling.

My card was not reaching power limit even after overvoltage ( which is barely 0.03V if GPU-Z is correct ). However GPU-Z is showing too low voltage as the limiting factor for higher boost.
My card at auto ( it's FE ) is boosting up to ~1912MHz without any overclocking. I mean like there is clock which you set , then is standard boost which can be kept for longer and is max boost which is peak value.

These cards can generally make ~2050MHz stable regardless of version. Because of already high base clock I doubt you will see any special difference after overclocking. Personally I would try to set it for lower power usage and reduced noise but even on stock cooler it's quiet comparing to previous series.

I don't know if there is any fully working bios editor for these cards. I would probably check it but tbh I wasn't even looking for one.

Since there is more GTX1070/1080 users ( and will be many more ) then we could make a thread about overclocking of these cards. At least to keep all info in one thread, not to make 20 similar threads.

Thanks much for all that info woomack! Really good to see you on here as well, see some more old names and seniors!

that sounds like a great idea. We should make a GTX 1070 and a separate GTX 1080 OC thread for condensed results ! I can definitely tell you that would help me out tremendously ..

I'm still going to try and push another hundred megahertz tonight , i'm sure it will still get me a few more FPS. I will check back in and give you some temperature and power load percentage logs as well as clock logs tonight so we can get t the bottom of this.

I'm hoping for 2050 core and 4400 mem 24/7 so that's what I will push for tonight.
Will check back in later,

I do have another quick question though...
For fan Control.
I have it manually set on 72% but I would like to use a custom user profile and manual curve . Whenever I try and set up a custom user profile and activate the curve, it doesn't work. It stays on 72 %.

Is there something that I am doing wrong? Another trickk to get it to activate ?

Did you put it back on auto and off manual?

I left auto turned off, its on manual, the curve was enabled, and the user custom button was pressed. Am I supposed to make sure AUTO is selected again along with the custom user profile switched on ?

Yes, Auto refers/reverts back to the fan profile, be it default or custom. :)

If it is on manual, no profiles will work fan speed will stay static.

Yes, Auto refers/reverts back to the fan profile, be it default or custom. :)

If it is on manual, no profiles will work fan speed will stay static.

Beautiful! Thank you E-Dog, simple fix is always good !

Ok so I bumped clocks a little bit higher last night and graphics score improved..
Graphics score improved to 19102
Bumped up core clocks another 40 mhz, left memory the same.
Total 3dmark score stayed the same.
Tonight I will provide some power and temp logs and clock a little bit higher. Untitled.jpg

Thought this might help some people out on deciding about the card.
Im still clocking this puppy slowly on a nightly basis.

Tonight I am up to 2020 core / 4200 mem

Doing really good with increasing framerates. Brought Graphics Score in Firestrike up to: 19671 which is 10% more performance over stock clocks.
Max temp 67*C with a custom fan profile at 80%

Will clock more soon Untitled-2.jpg

E-Dog,
Hoping that I could pick your brain for a minute tonight ?

As far as digital video and 3-D quality what is the best output setting for HDMI color ?
I'm using a standard HDMI 2.0 cable to output 4K resolution on the windows 10 desktop . Of course I have the full dynamic range out checkbox checked so that's number 1.

As far as proper color output signal through the hdmi cable should I keep this setting on RGB or should I select YCB444 ?? I read conflicting reports and this. Some people like RGB and some people like ycbr 4:4:4. I am a total quality and hi DEF movie buff also , so my choice woukd necessitate both good 3-D and video performance .

Thanks In advance

** One thing to note. My TV is a HDR capable 4K TV and I heard this setting affects HDR 4K

No way! Stumped you?

Anyway maybe this will remind you...

image.png

PS, that is a screenshot from Google. Not from my current system set up

Back