• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu stepping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kozmicblu

Registered
so im looking to upgrade my system from a 2600k to a 6700k, is there a stepping for the 6700k i should be looking for that is better for overclocking or is that something i shouldnt be concerened with anymore?. any thoughts would be greatly apreciated thx

Hopefully you're planning to buy a new motherboard and RAM at the same time.
To my knowledge there's only one stepping of the 6700K.

never heard of silicon lottery before, ill check them out. hoping to get at least 5ghz, current system is running at 4.6ghz

I'll be absolutely shocked if you hit 5GHz and stay at safe voltages. Most likely you'll cap at/by 4.6GHz.

Most 6600/6700K will make 4.6-4.7GHz at ~1.35-1.40V. 4.8GHz is about max for these chips on air/water. I wouldn't count on stable 5GHz at ambient temps.
Regardless what stepping/batch has CPU, all newer Intel series are pretty random. The same batches are overclocking +/-200MHz and we could see it already in Ivy/Ivy-E and Haswell/Haswell-E. So really stepping/batch doesn't mean much nowadays.

Back