• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Part painting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe88

So I will be acquiring a asrock x99 oc formula later this week and want to go with the black/gold theme.
Some things I wanted to repaint, graphics card shroud, maybe the cpu hsf plastic cover, and pci slot covers. (and maybe fans...?)

Now none of this is permanent so I will use plasti dip, I already purchased these:
DSC02793_zpsblsmkxfk.jpg

Now I did a test with a spare pci slot cover
3 coats of black, 5 coats of gold

DSC02806_zpsftjvgvym.jpg

I don't know, it seems a little dark, the metalizer spray is really just like gold flakes with clear coat mixed in.
Should I just switch to something like rustoleum gold metallic to get a more flat gold look and put that over the black plasti dip? Or another option is to try a white base coat.

One thing that might work is to spray a pile onto a piece of cardboard and then add in some white to lighten. Mix to desired color and then pain on with a paintbrush. Do it fast! It dries quickly but if you are careful you can avoid brush strokes and uneven paint :)

I dont have white which is a problem :p
I'm just gonna put a pin in this till I cant get some rustolem gold paint to get a flatter non glitter bomb look, dont think I will need to get white plasti-dip http://www.epikk.co/toymaker/projects/black-vs-white-choice-of-base-coat-for-metallic-colors

I did experiment with changing the led color on the gfx card, just 3 layers of yellow paper under the logo, might need to go 4 or 5 to get a darker look, also need to fix it, you can see left side some white is showing but that will be done when I paint it

DSC02810_zpsjdlit3rh.jpg

p http://www.epikk.co/toymaker/projects/black-vs-white-choice-of-base-coat-for-metallic-colors]/quote]
nice link. thanks!
I did experiment with changing the led color on the gfx card, just 3 layers of yellow paper under the logo, might need to go 4 or 5 to get a darker look, also need to fix it, you can see left side some white is showing but that will be done when I paint it

View attachment 181147

Ive got a sapphire card that I want to change the lights on and considered something similar. I really dont want to mess with changing the leds themselves. It just seems like a sensetive area to be poking around with given my soldering skills. I had figured to use clear tape and magic marker, but havent gotten that far yet. You could always just color the bulb as well (I think). Ive never tried that either so take it with a grain of salt

Hey knoober!
I have that same card in Bruce Lee (see sig). I believe there are a number of lightning options in the software that comes with the card. I remember setting mine to "pulse-red".

As far as painting goes, be advised:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...hant-Project?p=7873745&viewfull=1#post7873745

It will chip, it will smudge, it will look different, it won't dry evenly (especially the textured stuff)
Use a hot gun, but gently!
I can't find in the White Elephant thread where I talk about the paint I used. Its in there somewhere?

I painted a rad on this project, It almost drove me crazy!
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...List-project?p=7864232&viewfull=1#post7864232
Not much actual useful information there. If going for smooth finish, get the super fine 500 grit plus emery paper and lightly sand out imperfections between coats.

Suerte!

ok got the paint

20160718_130656_zps9hfttpzr.jpg

3 coats of plastip dip, 2 coats of gold
its like night and day, the problem with the metalizer is when not looking at it head on, pretty much turns black
not a 100% match to mobo but good enough for my needs

DSC02826_zps4jafmzwt.jpg

DSC02827_zps6sbzra5h.jpg

DSC02828_zpsqanl5xoj.jpg

DSC02829_zps9iejphz5.jpg

Next step is to paint rest of pci brackets, and the cm v8 plastic top cover

prepping the v8 (just noticed I forgot to cut out the 2 circles of the 8)

DSC02833_zpsf7krramu.jpg

Back