• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this upgrade worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
did you happen to do the install of 10 with more than just the boot drive connected?

I disconnected my other 500 gb to not get confused. I have my main 500gb ssd for windows, a 250 for games, and a 500 standard hdd for backblaze cloud backup. No other windows anywhere which is why it asking that was very odd indeed, now it doesnt though. Got it all transfering back to the new formatted and detected drive, wasn't what I wanted to have to do but better than a loss. I'm tempted to get new ram but 32gb with 8 sticks I bet ain't cheap. Havent looked at that kinda hardware since I built this system like 4 years ago.

Thanks, I'll give it a go, its detected in BIOS and disk management and shows its healthy just not in explorer for whatever reason. Doing a file system recover right now to see if I can restore it that way. I think there is an issue as windows wanted me to pick from Win 7 or WIn 10 to boot even though no hard drives had Win 7 on them something fishy is afoot.

Also, just want to say thanks to you Tir, Jack, Neb, etc for all the wonderful help thus far and I feel very welcomed here and will do my best to learn and interact!
Did you intitialize and format the drive i disk managmet? Post a screenshot up of you disk management screen please.

Thanks!

Did you intitialize and format the drive i disk managmet? Post a screenshot up of you disk management screen please.

Thanks!

This is exactly what it looked like before I did my fix.
ATBxd1s.png

I just crossed my fingers that creating a second partition on the drive using the remaining 20gb MIGHT cause the hidden one to appear in explorer. It did indeed work and I was able to copy off the contents using explore as usual. Then i deleted all partitions did a format using partition magic. Just turned on the PC and it found no boot drive and magically BIOS had selected another drive after I shut down for the night so at least that was the easy fix for today. I did lose power last night during a storm while installing the asus driver disk and even though it picked back up where it left off as far as I know it may have lost some info and should I try doing it again?

Also, I'm seeing noticeable evaporation in the reservoir. I'm not sure if its still slowly bleeding out pockets or the threads aren't sealing enough. I have left a paper towel down over the past few days and it being red fluid nothing has shown up anywhere. All barbs, plugs, tubes, and whatever else are dry. It's dropped ~8.5mm or 1/3" in the past few days after filling and bleeding and topping off res.

New loop... air. :)

Ok got in the pump and 90's today, just waiting on the gpu block then time to build. I can't believe how small this pump is, its pretty much the same as the cpu block and I hope it can handle this loop 1.5 bar equal 15.2957ft of head height.

Also, what are these two o-rings for that come with the 90's, I don't see anywhere to put them that doesn't already have a ring.
MUk7U54.jpg

Also, is there an easy way to mount a second 480 rad to this one and use the same fans basically pancake the fans between two rads? I guess I'd need to find a radiator that has g1/4 holes on both sides and just do it that way? I just don't want to drop another 90 bucks on fans but want to add as much cooling power as I can.

EDIT:
I actually think this might be a bit moot to attempt, but in the off chance i get a bargin on a second 980ti down the road I would mind have that expanded cooling option just not sure how placement would work.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm second guessing myself and now not sure how I want to complete the loop. Could someone maybe use this layout and show me a good option, I hate asking for handouts but now unsure and frustrated. I just can't seem to make it clean and logical when I keep messing with the layout. I only have 4 rotary 90's and the rest barbs. I suppose flipping the rad could help some so not opposed but hadn't considered it OR remove the OC Panel from the case and use its kick stand on desk.
QRryEkO.png

Last edited:
Ok, how does this look? Two 90's on GPU block, 90 on pump out and 90 on rad in. Main reason for a hanging pump is the PWM cable is so short and wont reach the cpu fan plug on motherboard if any lower. I could put it on my 5 ch fan controller and the chassis fan that blows onto the ram and heat sinks as the cpu fan header...
zh6yx5G.png

Also working on a custom mount for the pump for my case I'm going to print.
k3Lo4SZ.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I conclude thus far the upgrade was worth it. Not seeing much better CPU temps than with the AIO setup but just finished 40 mins of Doom with all ultra settings at 1440p and gpu never touched 44C! Can't seem to control the pump speed, just shows up 0 RPM in asus suite so not sure what it's at. Plus, still have to wait out the thermal curing which will have temps settle lower.

Now if I could find out how to keep my GPU at it's max clock speeds, though it seems some benchmarks use up the TDP for some magical reason while other max out clocks and heat but dont use more than 90-95% power so gotten ~250+ core 500 mem almost at 1.5ghz and at 4ghz mem
EjnYNIz.png

Last edited:
Oh, I just noticed the tubing came with loop prep. I would like to get most of the red out of my lines as its just a bit pink right now. It says to run it in the loop for 12 hours then drain and flush, should I just give it a go since it came with it?

stacking rads does not increase the cooling surface area, the warm air leaving the first rad heats the second, just get a thicker rad.
yes, flush the system if you still see dye.

stacking rads does not increase the cooling surface area, the warm air leaving the first rad heats the second, just get a thicker rad.
yes, flush the system if you still see dye.

Makes sense :( Guess I need to figure another way of getting a second one on there down the road when I can invest in it. Well that was a pain to flush, should have installed a drain valve or a 3 way valve... I flushed what I could about 2 res fulls or so then filled up 1/2 way and dumped the rest of the loop prep solution in there so let it foam and clean for the rest of the afternoon the will flush in another day or so if that prep fluid doesnt cause issues or something being in too long.

in the core p5 there is no way to hang a second rad that looks any less than hokey.
don't expect much from the tim curing, maybe 1-2c is all.

Ok so this rad is 35mm so if I got something at least double thickness would it be equivalent to having two 480's or not quite as efficient? The only component not getting great idles is the CPU, I mean 39-45C is fine for me especially since I can't get my GPU over 45C even OC'd the max it will go. So maybe just take it as it is and be happy. I'm not disappointed in the least just want better cpu temps.

^This.

IIRC, martinsliquidlab did a thorough testing on those, and for double thickness there was a 20% perf increase, depending on fans, fpi's, etc...

Add more surface if you want more cooling.

Back