• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this upgrade worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyris69

Registered
Ok, so I posted another thread about mods I've done to my LEPA AIO but recently decided to dump a bunch of money into removing the AIO and making it a full custom loop.

System Specs:
Rampage IV Black Edition
i7-3930k
32gb 1866 HyperX Beast Ram
Zotac 980ti Amp! Edition
Seasonic 1250 PSU
Thermaltake Core P5 (green)
LED strip kit
LEPA EXllusion 240 AIO Cooler
Old post photos so OC panel isn't correct to what it is now.

Here is the parts ordered:

• PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 3/8in. x 1/2in. Tubing Bundle (10ft pack) - Bloodshed Red 26$
  • Swiftech MCP50X $69
  • XSPC RayStorm Pro Black 80$
  • Swiftech G1/4-MMEXT-LONG-BK G Male-Male SLI & CrossFireX connector fitting (to direct connect to inlet of pump and to res) 11.99
  • EK-FC Titan X - Nickel (Original CSQ) used $60
  • Alphacool Eiszapfen G1/4" to 10mm ID, 13mm OD Compression Fitting, 90° Rotary, Deep Black, 4-pack 38$
  • another 4 pack of titan rig barbs 10$

With my current modded AIO under Prime95 Small FFT test I'm stable at:
6f3AtPX.png

My thing is, will I see a noticeable difference in dissipation and temps or did I just drop (total so far) 500$ to add a GPU to the loop.

7FFhO8D.jpg

3YWdvkq.jpg
c4rYIfi.jpg
bDUUra8.jpg

Last edited:
Watercooled GPU should stay in the high 30's/low40's range, so yes, it's worth it.

500 bucks seems a lot: a GPU block, 1m of tubing, a 240 or 280 rad, 2 fans and 4 fittings. You should end up int +/- $250...

Edit: it cost me £50/$65 to add the GPU in my loop. £16 Raijintek universal GPU block + £3 1m tubing + £12 4xCompression fitting + £20 2x noise blocker fans.

Edit 2 : they made a mistake on the GPU block pricing... it's £40 normally!

Yeah, i went a bit overboard and had to have a 480 rad since i OC a lot.

• Alphacool Eiszapfen compression 4 pack 90's 37.99$
  • EK-FC Titan X - Nickel (Original CSQ) used with shipping 65$
  • MPC50x Pump 68.99$
  • PremoFlex LRT Blood Red 10ft 26.95$
  • 8 barb fittings (some extra) 20$
  • CPU Waterblock 79.99$
  • 4 NF-12F Fans 22.99 each, 91.96$
  • XSPC EX480 70.99$
  • Phobya 250 Res 41.99$
  • Coil 8" made my own from silver 8.99$
  • 1/2" clamp nylon 10 pack 5.25$
  • Old tubing thats getting tossed 14.99$

Total not with taxes where applicable
$441.15

Last edited:
OK, I misunderstood: I thought you added some components to your existing AIO, b ut you started from scratch, right?

In this case, it's avery decent budget for a nice loop! ;)

OK, I misunderstood: I thought you added some components to your existing AIO, b ut you started from scratch, right?

In this case, it's a very decent budget for a nice loop! ;)
Correct removing the AIO from the loop, sorry I guess I should have mentioned that or made it more apparent :) I feel a bit better then.

If you want great delta-temps and the flexibility to go fairly silent, I feel you got the right size rad for this.

Btw, D5 are quieter than the DDC pumps and make sure your tubing is the PrimoChill Advanced LRT.

Also, this is going to be more expensive when you're pretty much building a full custom CPU + GPU (Full Block) loop. That price range sounds about right.

If you want great delta-temps and the flexibility to go fairly silent, I feel you got the right size rad for this.

Btw, D5 are quieter than the DDC pumps and make sure your tubing is the PrimoChill Advanced LRT.

Also, this is going to be more expensive when you're pretty much building a full custom CPU + GPU (Full Block) loop. That price range sounds about right.

I was trying to pinch pennies basically so went with the smaller form factor pump. I got this for the tubing PrimoFlex Advanced LRT: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9ZDJJA will it work?

I was trying to pinch pennies basically so went with the smaller form factor pump. I got this for the tubing PrimoFlex Advanced LRT: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9ZDJJA will it work?

If noise isn't a huge issue and you're on a budget, you'll still be fine. DDCs have greater head pressure.

That tubing is correct. I use that same tubing but in a different size. Looks like they changed their packaging a bit. Kinda like that.

Honestly noise isn't an issue my old case had 4 Delta Electronics FFB1212EHE fans, 190 CFM, 4000 RPM, 59 dBA and sounded like a jet engine but was cool and so was my entire room lol.

My issue is the nocturna fans whine like crazy if not at full power so basically have AC blowing into my eyes while at my desk.

@ OP - looks like you are being well taken care of!!! :)

Watercooled GPU should stay in the high 30's/low40's range, so yes, it's worth it.
I haven't one card run in the low 40s load under water... never. How much radiator and what cards do you have that managed that?!!!

I haven't one card run in the low 40s load under water... never. How much radiator and what cards do you have that managed that?!!!
Thanks! Glad to be in a noob friendly forum and not getting bashed right off the bat like others I've been to in the past.

my 980ti gets to 80C just running BF4 no OC at 1440p maxed out, I'd love to see those temps but not getting hopes up.

780 ti@1360/8200/1.15v. Tops@41c with a 22c ambient with a£16 raijintek universal GPU block in an expanded H240x with a 280 and a 140 extr rads.

my 980ti gets to 80C just running BF4 no OC at 1440p maxed out, I'd love to see those temps but not getting hopes up.

You'll probably end up in the 50c-60c range on the GPU so you should see a nice -20c improvement. That all depends on ambient temps of course and how high you're pushing your OCs.

Also, if you dislike the air blowing into your direction, have you tried switching the fans to push?

You'll probably end up in the 50c-60c range on the GPU so you should see a nice -20c improvement. That all depends on ambient temps of course and how high you're pushing your OCs.

Also, if you dislike the air blowing into your direction, have you tried switching the fans to push?

Haha, the simplest solution is always the one you don't consider. Guess it would also help cool the hard drives inside the case as well.

Not as much airflow can be felt compared to pull it seems, will that matter?
EDIT: seems temps about the same

GkI2Aj6.png

Air temp at fans 28c
I think the "mosfets" or whatever is under the heatsink above cpu is around 62c
Water temp is 31c

after 10 mins of prime

The CPU temps once they reach those maxes actually drop down after a few more minutes running oddly, no throttling is occurring.

Last edited:
FYI: after 20 mins of COD_BO3, no vsync.

GPU@1367/8200/1.13v. 1080p. CPYU@4800/1.32v:

COB_BO3_1367_8200_1.13v.png

Last edited:
Not as much airflow can be felt compared to pull it seems, will that matter?

Actually, you'll get better airflow in push because atm, you're pulling air flow through HD cages plus, you'll be cooling your HD cages either way. The air is only a bit warmer so it won't matter really and you won't have to deal with the airflow in your direction. That's how many cases are designed to push air through the HD cages in many cases. Hell, the samples and most builds I've seen from TT show the same. It could be by design but gives you the flexibility to go either way.

Example from TT.

CVE0JCcUEAAMFJD.jpg

GPU@1367/8200/1.13v. 1080p. CPYU@4800/1.32v

Not only do you have very cool ambient temps but you have some good chips you're working with there that don't need much, hence your low temps. On average, you won't get a good clocker like yours. Your ASIC must be high.

Last edited:
Not only do you have very cool ambient temps but you have some good chips you're working with there that don't need much, hence your low temps. On average, you won't get a good clocker like yours. Your ASIC must be high.

ASIC is 79.2%, so yes, it's good. But I put my 7970 on the same loop, and it stays in the low 40's at full load (1250/1.38v core and 1850/1.68v VRam).

Back