• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cortana, you're fired!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The point was why Windows 10 and not Windows 8, [only if equal choice exists].

I agree on that. Between the two, the only argument that I see for W10 is DX 12. And isn't going to really apply to a lot of real world applications at the moment-only gamers who are presently using DX 12. The number of games using DX12 is likely to continue to rise, though. Long before 2023 that will likely be the sticking point.

Reminds me of 64-Bit processors which every one got - and never used for 64-Bit anything - because they already had new rigs by the time 64-Bit real world stuff actually came around.
I believe you can have years of headache-free Windows 8 usage before there's a real need for DirectX 12 and even then - that's nothing that a simple reboot into Windows 10 can't take care of, quickly.

I just wanted to say that the background of this is seeing how even Windows 10 staunchest supporters are struggling to "deal" with Windows 10.
And why and for what, (unless they didn't have a Windows 8 license I guess)...

The only reason I tried W10 was for the sake of progress on a new build, and M$ has done nothing to improve it for me. They have, in fact, made it worse. Expensive lesson learned. I won't go to W8 because I don't care for it and never did. For me, it's 10 Lite.

The point was why Windows 10 and not Windows 8, [only if equal choice exists].

Windows 10 was a free upgrade from 7. Windows 8 wasn't. And why pay to upgrade to 8 when it first came out when it had such a terrible reception? I never bothered to upgrade to 8 because of that. So that's why 7 for me.

For me, it's 10 Lite.

?? Did I miss something? I realize that M$ hasn't actually made a "Lite" version, but has someone slimmed some of the BS out? Or do you just mean Shut Up 10 or whatever it is called and the other things mentioned here in this thread?

?? Did I miss something? I realize that M$ hasn't actually made a "Lite" version, but has someone slimmed some of the BS out? Or do you just mean Shut Up 10 or whatever it is called and the other things mentioned here in this thread?

No, Alaric meant that Windows 8 = Windows 10 Lite.

A lot of the things I don't like about W10 were actually in W8 first. The telemetry, loss of Aero, loss of Media Center, interface that looks like a stick drawing. Stuff like that. I had a Windows 8 install on a separate rig from the Developer Preview until RTM and never liked it. That's why I stayed with 7. I tried 8 and 10. I gave them a chance. Since the games I play aren't likely to be DX12 anytime soon I have zero reasons to keep screwing with an OS I don't like. My new TV tuner card is supposed to be in my mailbox as I type this, so I'll get another W7 ordered today.

The big picture once again: You can do *nothing* about some Windows 10 problems.

You can, looking at your post, in Windows 8: Permanently disable telemetry, have Windows Media Center if you purchased the license for it when it was available for $10 from Microsoft (I got it).

Also, Aaric, it would in insane in the membrane to not install Classic Shell 1 second after first booting into Windows 8. Of Course the ENTIRE premise of Windows 8 is getting rid of its user interface immediately and making it identical to Windows 7 UI where you cannot tell the difference. But you never really understood what Classic Shell is, it is a 15 second installation of (any) Start Menu where you *never* see Metro ever unless you specifically press SHIFT when clicking on the Start Menu.

I am offering to walk you through the process (there are a couple of things to set up) at the end of which you may just be
over sticking to Windows 7.

Yep same as in 95/98/XP/7. Each iteration seems to be a little more locked down then the last :(

So to use W8 I would have to buy it, buy Media Center for an additional $40, install a third party program to emulate 7, then either spend the time finding and turning off the bits I don't like or installing more third party software to do it for me. Or I can just install W7 and call it a day. I'm not seeing any benefits inherent in W8 over 7 except a couple years of support on the back end. If I'm missing some advantage other than distant update support I'm open to education. Metro stopped being an issue when 8.1 allowed booting directly to desktop.
That's what virtual machines are for :)

No, not really.

If not that then what are they for? Isn't that what WinXp mode is in Win7? A fully licensed copy of the OS that operates in the background similar to a virtual machine? And it is specifically for running exe that aren't supported by Win7. A vm is just a third part version that isn't enmeshed in the host OS. All I am suggesting is the same thing with win7 and win10

Why would anybody VM win10 on anything if the OS that they're currently using is already sufficient for their use?, other than a benchmark I mean.
And why would anybody take on win10 just to VM an OS that they like and already own, for the sake of having win10?
You have years before you even need to worry about it.

As far as I'm concerned, win10 is a released beta OS. It was no where's near complete when it was released. They let it go public for free so they could get a broader view of what needs to be addressed for the user.....and for M$'s "special interests", to see what daily use shakes out.....along with what the hacker's can do to it.

IMO, there is no reason to use win10 for anything until that's the only choice left, and by then something else will be out already.

Last edited:
Well all other dislikes of win10 aside it seems there is only 1 software that isn't working correctly. If I owned the OS that it worked on and liked win10 (and the OS that it works on is EOL soon) I might consider such a config. It is a matter if personal choice though. I'd be interested in learning other ways to accomplish the same feat as well, but for now I gotta go with what I already know works

Edit : isn't benching a horrible idea inside a vm? I never considered it to be actually valid because you wouldn't get full use of the hardware

Edit : isn't benching a horrible idea inside a vm? I never considered it to be actually valid because you wouldn't get full use of the hardware
Sometimes it's a necessary evil when testing vintage hardware. ;)

Back