• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cortana, you're fired!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
More evidence of M$' skill and planning. LOL Full article here http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...ate-causing-serious-new-problem/#dff96d838472
In short: with the Anniversary Update installed Windows 10 drops support for all USB connected webcams that use the ubiquitous MJPEG or H.264 encoded streams (only the YUY2 will work). The reasoning behind this was Microsoft wanted to boost webcam performance on its own Windows apps which gain new permissions to access user webcams with the Anniversary Update.

Not liking the implications of this at all.

Windows apps which gain new permissions to access user webcams with the Anniversary Update.

The only way that dropping h.264 support is helping anything is for encoding on the fly. But if the apps theybar pushing encode on the fly then it's a smart move, but otherwise it's actually pretty dumb. I don't know that h.265 is mature/widespread yet, so that means h. 264 is one of the best compression / resolution formats available. Yeah let's not use that anymore. Makes sense :D

Fix? All they need is a update that forces the install, and have it running in the background whether you use it or not, just like Cortana.

I see after the latest round of Microsoft updates yesterday that Cortana, whom I had disabled immediately after install, is back with vengeance. And this time you can't completely switch her off. At least not easily that I can see. The search function is now very personal and touchy feely: "How else can I help?" They are going too far. Taking away more and more user control all the time.

You talking about the 1607 update or the KB rollups trents? The stuff my PC's downloaded last night didn't change a thing. however the 'SP1'/1607 update did of course reset a lot.

All I can tell you is that after yesterday's updates Cortana and the search function are not the same as they were.

I'm going to look at Classic Shell again.

Classic Shell, oh yes! My old friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is really helpful to know what update did it.

As I said, the 'SP1'/1607 W10 Update did reset everything, but, that was a known happening. I am trying to ascertain if that is what did it you (and would be expected behavior), or if last nights minor KB updates changed your system (they didn't change anything on mine, at least not Cortana that was disabled).

I wish I could tell you more but I wasn't keeping close records. 1607 anniversary was a few weeks ago, wasn't it? I'm certain this change in Cortana on my system is more recent than that.

It was released a couple weeks ago, yes. Whether or not you upgraded to it is another story... hence why I asked.

Anyway, its odd that whatever was updated yesterday did something. Again, I had it disabled before yesterday's updates, and its still 'off' today AFAIK.

As a side note, I use Shutup10 to disable the basics (I use recommended settings). It works fine for my needs. :)

I already had 1607 installed. I'm certain of that. I remember it distinctly. Whatever was pushed last night did initiate a restart. I can tell you that.

Didn't on two of my PCs, thankfully. Most of the updates, as I remember them, were for MS Office and windows defender...

I had the same update to my 1607 system and I didn't notice any changes to my gpedit windows update or Cortana settings I made right after the 1607 AU. Maybe there are changes, but nothing seems different.

Unlike Windows 7, Windows 8 is so very similar to Windows 10 that after you install http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/ - you essentially have Windows 10 *without* any of the present or future problems and will have smooth sailing all the way to 2023.

Why opt for Windows 10 when you can have seven years of Windows 8, which after a 30 second Classic Shell installation, gives you everything Windows 10 does, minus DirectX 12 and more importantly, minus ALL the headaches everyone is having, even staunch Windows 10 supporters.

You can have any Start Menu you want, everything is permanently customizable. All the little things that are not in Windows 7 - are in Windows 8.
After a quick Classic Shell install, Windows 8 is truly the best operating system of all time.

I still liked 7 better than 8. Vista was the prettiest and not so bad once the patched it up just before 7 came out.

The point was why Windows 10 and not Windows 8, [only if equal choice exists].

Back