• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cortana, you're fired!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a question.: Are the updates really forced? Isnt there any way to block the updates and remain on a particular version?
Also heard that win10 breaking steam really slowly every update they release o.0

I'm fairly certain disabling the Windows Update service via services.msc stops any from ever being installed.

I'm fairly certain disabling the Windows Update service via services.msc stops any from ever being installed.

There are solutions-sort of-to the update issues in this thread (page 3, I think) but with varying levels of convenience. The Cortana situation is going the wrong way from M$. It smells like desperation to me so I'll keep W 10 in some capacity for a while and see where it goes. Maybe they'll throw in the towel and do a 10.1 a la 8.1 if the pressure keeps up. Not holding my breath, though. They seem to have developed an attitude after being backed in to a corner with the Windows 8 fiasco. I guess worst case scenario I'll dual boot and use the W10 install exclusively for gaming and W7 for everything else. Although I'd like to find out if W10 will be gathering info from the other OS and phoning home with it. 10 is a nosy, intrusive little bugger. LOL

I would stick with Pro unless there is a certain feature you are after. Ive done my diligence here. Win7 Ultimate still costs as much as it ever did, while Pro can vary greatly depending on the vendor. Ive got 2 copies of Win7 Pro. One cost $14 (and works perfectly) the other cost me $80 (and works perfectly). Ive seen all prices in between also.

I have a question.: Are the updates really forced? Isn't there any way to block the updates and remain on a particular version?
Also heard that win10 breaking steam really slowly every update they release o.0

ANSWER: YES. You can disable automatic updates on Windows 10 Pro.
What people don't understand is that AFTER you disable Win10 updates you MUST NOT go to the Windows 10 update page.
The act of simply loading that page, force installs ALL Windows 10 updates, immediately.

But as long as you don't visit the Windows Update 10 update page, there will be no updates after you
* Start > gpedit.msc [available on Windows 10 Pro - not available on Windows 10 (non-pro) version.]
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > Disabled [Windows Update will not check for new updates automatically.]

As for your comment on increased lag, that comment is as true and as false as it applies to any version of Windows.
I reimaged my Windows 9x/Me/2000/XP/Vista/7/10 on average at least once a month, thereby avoiding any lag.
Others don't notice any lag ever.
I would notice it on ANY version of Windows after a few months, unless I reimage. Before I make a new image the starting point is the previous image which is based on a fresh Windows installation - so it's kind of like fresh install, only with all installed programs and Windows modifications freshly done too. But my new image would then include that month's update.

So my point is, it's not the update that cause the lag, it's whatever else you do when using your computer... On occasion there would be a bad update but with image discipline, it's easy to identify if an update caused a problem.

Win8.1 is faster/smoother then Win7 for gaming/working, and if you don't like Metro install Classic Menu and you got your standard desktop back...

After Windows 8 came out, there were so many people who refused to hear the truth of your statement.
Criticism went away only after they themselves tried Classic Shell.
Words have no effect on people when it comes to this so when you see someone stubbornly pushing for Windows 7 over Windows 8 - it is because they do not really understand that Classic Shell turns Windows 8 into an identical interface that Windows 7 has.

With an added bonus of Win8 being absolutely smoother for daily use. There are legitimate reasons why someone wants 7 over 8, but when they start talking about the user interface, you know they don't really understand what classic shell is or does.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/752525

- - - Updated - - -

There are solutions-sort of-to the update issues in this thread but with varying levels of convenience.
There is no question that updates can be disabled as posted a couple of posts above.
The only issue is that people don't understand that there is no option to simply CHECK for updates on Windows 10.

They go to the Update Page and it's game over. There is no stopping updates if you go to that page.
Only disabling them (on Win10 Pro) so they don't update *unless* you visit the update page.

- - - Updated - - -

...the search function no longer works. I'm thinking a 3rd party app/alternative search could fix this since the search functions built into windows after XP (Seriously, that little dog was the BEST, he found everything, even could search the contents of some files) are kind of mediocre and miss things pretty consistently.

The only Windows search engine that is 100% reliable is the Windows XP search engine.
I took screenshots of Windows Vista/7/8/10 engine missing hits.

I use Windows 7/8/10 engine but if I don't get a hit, I check using an alternative, which sometimes, rarely but sometimes, DOES give me a hit which 7/8/10 missed:
http://mythicsoft.com/page.aspx?page=download&type=agentransack

I am always on a look out for better search programs, if anyone has a suggestion? And I have screenshots of the buggy Windows search engine proving it was correctly used and still missed hits.

Cortana is the biggest reason why I won't run Win 10, been running Mint for a few weeks now and it's doing all could ask of it.
Now, I did get the freebie copy of Win 10 just in case but have no plans on ever running it for real.

BTW I can promise you what's seen for disabling Cortana in the OS is little more than a placibo pill of sorts since they are really wanting it to be there, up and running, spying on you all the while. It's gonna take someone hacking it to create a util that truly takes her out.... On a date with oblivion.

Just to put things in perspective, what is more intrusive about disabled Cortana than running Google corporation's software? Google collects so much information, yet gets nowhere near as many complaints.

When I stared up windows 10 for the first time on all my PCs it's asks if you want to use Cortana all I said was no there has not been a problem since. One time for the fun of it I said yes and it asked me to sign in I canceled no problem.

You don't really see many complains about Edge but then again not many people know it acts as a keylogger, literally recording every single keystroke and phoning home with them unless you disable it from the privacy settings.

Would you please provide evidence to back that up in form of a link that talks about current version of Windows 10.

Just to put things in perspective, what is more intrusive about disabled Cortana than running Google corporation's software? Google collects so much information, yet gets nowhere near as many complaints.

I'm not sure what Google software there is besides Android, but Microsoft's software is 'paid for', not free.

I read somewhere in Microsoft agreement that it only gathers things you type to better help you in the Windows Insider Program.

Last edited:
I am waiting for proof and for Kenrou himself to acknowledge his statement is false when he finds none.

Of course Microsoft Edge does NOT collect all keystrokes to send them to Microsoft.

To the other poster, Google software is Gmail, the Google search engine itself, Chrome, etc. etc. Paid or free, the topic is privacy, which is breached to the same or higher extent by Google Corp than it is by Microsoft Corp.

I'm not sure what Google software there is besides Android, but Microsoft's software is 'paid for', not free.

Google as your default search engine, for starters. Google toolbar, youtube, Chrome, GMail, reCaptcha, and the previously mentioned Android. I usually don't cite Wikipedia, but the following link's info can be easily verified elsewhere and Wiki put it in one list. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Alphabet. The half of the virtual world M$ doesn't own? Google (Alphabet) owns it. LOL

edit: I prefer W7 over the W8 variants because of Media Center, and I like Aero. And I'm old and curmudgeonly. :)

Would you please provide evidence to back that up in form of a link that talks about current version of Windows 10.

I am waiting for proof and for Kenrou himself to acknowledge his statement is false when he finds none.

Of course Microsoft Edge does NOT collect all keystrokes to send them to Microsoft.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/09/07/improve-your-privacy-in-microsoft-edge-with-these-settings/

"The core reason why you may want to turn off Cortana in Microsoft Edge is privacy as your browsing data is sent to Microsoft if Cortana is enabled in the web browser (which it is by default)."

"Everything you type in the address bar or search box is sent to the default search engine regardless of whether you hit enter or not."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2974...ndows-10s-keylogger-yes-it-still-has-one.html

I have never once posted anything here without some knowledge of what im saying, if said knowledge is out of date its another matter entirely (and if it is apologies for using the wrong term, maybe data-miner would be more appropriate). Both Edge and Cortana were a massive part of the privacy issues when Win10 came out, there's several threads on this forum about this.

To the other poster, Google software is Gmail, the Google search engine itself, Chrome, etc. etc. Paid or free, the topic is privacy, which is breached to the same or higher extent by Google Corp than it is by Microsoft Corp.

Of course the topic is privacy, that is what prompted me to respond to this posters query:

this poster said:

My response is that MS software is paid for, whereas Google's software is free. People get "irked" when they re being spied on, by software that they paid for, but are more forgiving(in general) when they are using either free software, or free services like

Gmail, the Google search engine itself, etc.

Thank you.
So we install Windows 10.
We open the browser.
We type in ABC inside the address bar and without us even pressing Enter - the term ABC is immediately 'in possession' of the default search engine Bing.

Of course we are talking about default behavior and default settings.

Bing does what Google did for years, but this effectively means that you are correct and that whatever you type inside the default address bar in the default browser is sent out to Bing, and by definition, to Microsoft.

... yet gets nowhere near as many complaints.

My theory for that is psychology. When folks read the Google EULA and saw all that stuff , they might have thought," Well if Google misuses this information I will quit the service and retreat back to my comfy and private desktop" That option is disappearing and M$ is responsible (still part of how I think the public thinks)

Of course M$ is still the villain because they made "Win7+ Spyware" (aka Windows10) once they caught on to Googles game. I think it looked like this:

Burns_gold_coins.JPG

Last edited:
Back