• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cortana, you're fired!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have a pretty comprehensive list on what I do with Windows 10.

For fun it's all manual, no programs running to disable telemetry.

So one thing at a time here.

We can disassociate Bing from the browser and switch over to Google which is what most people who mod Windows do but let's not kid ourselves, Microsoft is still in their amateur stage. The real, world masters of telemetry are the good folks from Google corporation of course. They know more about you than Microsoft does.

I am still asking what do we want here, Cortana not to assist us or shut down of Windows 10 telemetry manually which I have been studying since Windows 10 came out.

As was said.....

I believe shutting off Cortana and also not having her running in the background is what most folks are after. The search function is fine, but I (just guessing) don't think anyone wants Bonsai Buddy's big sister helping them out with searching local files (or running out to the Internet to try and drag back something relevant for every search.....

And I believe there were multiple solutions posted with varying levels of disabled scattered in the thread. I think he updated the OP with some a week or two ago?

Can the default search for Edge be changed from Bing? No. I thought Cortana shares search data with Bing whether it uses the web or not. Here http://www.pcworld.com/article/2966...e-bing-web-results-in-windows-10s-search.html they state Cortana must be turned off completely-but that is no longer possible. Further explained here https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/...earch-box-in-windows-10-to-bing-and-edge-only
I tried Edge but disliked it enough to not use it much. Yes, there are various crutches with varying levels of effectiveness for a lot of W10's foibles. And I'm not suggesting we all drive to Redmond and throw rocks at Bill Gates. Nadella, well, that's another story. LOL. I originally wanted Cortana deceased, gone, deleted. Then I found out that wasn't possible. Then M$ removed some of the functionality they happily charged me extra for the month before. I could mark the thread [SOLVED] for my purposes.

OC members (and web searches) might be better served by a thread that doesn't end with the OP saying "Screw it". A lot of people will want to keep W10 and be looking for real answers to that end.

Got my scanner to work for now. Had to unplug it and delete all the device drivers and software. Reboot and then plug it back in. Now it works. There's 4 hours of my life I'll never get back lol. I tried shutting Cortana off in task manager, but it just reboots and come back on within seconds.

Anniversary update locked Cortana to Edge for web searches and I don't think the default search engine for Edge can be changed (Bing). I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Got my scanner to work for now. Had to unplug it and delete all the device drivers and software. Reboot and then plug it back in. Now it works. There's 4 hours of my life I'll never get back lol. I tried shutting Cortana off in task manager, but it just reboots and come back on within seconds.

Cortana is now a digital zombie, the binary undead. LOL

Anniversary update locked Cortana to Edge for web searches and I don't think the default search engine for Edge can be changed (Bing). I think.
As was linked above:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-the-default-search-engine-in-microsoft-edge

You can change the default search engine to any site that uses OpenSearch technology.

*In Microsoft Edge, first go to the website of the search engine you want.

*Then, select More actions (...) > Settings, scroll down, select View advanced settings, scroll down again, and then select Change search engine.

*Select your search engine's website in the list, and then select Set as default.

If you don't see your search engine in the list, make sure that you've visited the search engine's website in Microsoft Edge, and that your search engine uses OpenSearch technology.

Before
googlesrch.jpg

After:
googlesrch2.jpg

Yes, I am using fully updated, please take my keystrokes and information, W10 Anniversary update. :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

Cortana is now a digital zombie, the binary undead. LOL

As was linked above:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-the-default-search-engine-in-microsoft-edge

Before
View attachment 183775

After:
View attachment 183776

Yes, I am using fully updated, please take my keystrokes and information, W10 Anniversary update. :rofl:

That looks like Edge browser not chrome.

Cool. I'm not sure where I heard it originally, or if my brain just screwed up some of the bazillion web pages on the subject I have floating around in my soft RAM. That's a definite plus. Except for the part where Google's data mining makes M$ look like a daycare coding class. :)

Well that just throws it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll out of whack, thinking. :rofl:

Yeah, Edge.. it was always about Edge.

Yeah, the whole thinking thing was meant to throw a monkey wrench in M$' plans. Occasionally the monkey throws it back at me. :eek:

I just tried cortana with edge default google.com search and had bing for search engine.

Then I'm not the only one.

Its like that by default, correct. But after the change above..................it uses google.

When folks type in the cortana search they have bing results, then you have to type the same thing again in the address bar to have google search.
Apple bing.jpg apple google1.jpg apple google2.jpg

Which would mean the search term was first shared with bing>M$, regardless of which search engine ultimately produced the results. Everything typed in the search box is shared with bing as it's typed.

Back