• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cortana, you're fired!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Here is one glaring daily annoyance winten pushes on me. I have to log out and back in to kill it. All other processes are locked out from keystroke or mouse control.

winten annoyance GUI.jpg

I was watching an online video when it popped up. Video played on, but I couldn't control anything.

Make sure you connect them to regular Intel SATA ports and not SATA connectors on the side of your motherboard next to regular Intel ones. Post your motherboard model.

You must install motherboard drivers from the CD that came with your board.

You cannot skip motherboard driver installation.
I mean you can, but then you'd have to spend hours posting why things don't work... ;)

You can be selective on what you install of course, but the main drivers need to be installed.

Things like that seem to be getting more common. It's like the more people they get on W 10 the less they care about whether or not it works.

Because they already have a successful data mine. They don't have to dig any deeper to get more customers, or please the ones they have.

It's time to process what they have already harvested << my guess

Edit: is there any chance that Win8/8.1 drivers will work? Like the way that Vista drivers worked for Win7? Just a thought :shrug:

Last edited:
After the last forced updates, my scanner driver won't work.

Hahaha Anniversary Update just hosed my expensive HD web cam! Did a search and the Anniversary Update broke millions of cameras out there!!!

Thank you for your inquiry. We are sorry that you’re experiencing an issue with your Logitech webcam.
We have discovered that this is linked to a change Microsoft made in the Windows 10 Anniversary Edition where support of compressed MJPG and H.264 streams for webcams was dropped.
Microsoft is working on an update to address the issue, but at this time we do not have an estimate for when it will be available.

Let's look at the calendar.
Windows 10 Anniversary Update was released to the public on August 2, 2016. Tomorrow is October and my fully updated Windows 10 still doesn't have an official fix for the web cam. LOLOL. :)

Also this gem: Titles of all windows are no longer centered in Windows 10 Build 1607 - Anniversary Update. They accidentally moved titles of all windows all the way to the left so they now interfere with Program User Menus. Oooops. What an amateur hour for a bug like that not to be noticed!!!! Wow.

I forced a Windows 10 Build 1607 update through an official Microsoft web page:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history
You can too. :D

Now that I am on 1607, figured I'd help you guys get rid of Cortana. 360 posts in this thread and no one figured out a clear way to get rid of her yet?!
Can someone post what the goal here is, what makes this problem resolved, you don't want to see the Cortana search bar in your task bar or...? What has to happen for Cortana to be considered gone?

:D Windows 10 is so much fun. :D

Windows 10 started as such a great plug and play OS. Drivers for almost anything and everything built in, fast, etc.. Then it seems to have just started going backwards. I just couldn't find answers to everything, and then M$ started taking away the few options I had for fixing some of it and breaking the rest. I admitted defeat and went back to W7. I hope you can make some progress, but for anything other than a brief dual boot if necessary, I'm done with it.

Can you post about the thread topic, what is the issue, what can't people do when it comes to Cortana?
I mean that search bar is just a search bar, do they want to remove the search bar and that would mean that "Cortana is disabled"... or... what? What are we trying to do here?

Can you post about the thread topic, what is the issue, what can't people do when it comes to Cortana?
I mean that search bar is just a search bar, do they want to remove the search bar and that would mean that "Cortana is disabled"... or... what? What are we trying to do here?

I believe shutting off Cortana and also not having her running in the background is what most folks are after. The search function is fine, but I (just guessing) don't think anyone wants Bonsai Buddy's big sister helping them out with searching local files (or running out to the Internet to try and drag back something relevant for every search because bandwidth is more precious to some than others)

Without hacks you can hide the search bar but it will not disable the background services. You can hack the system to disable Cortana and the background services but that will likely break something like IE or search since they are integrated. M$ policy of "look but don't touch" is thoroughly annoying and they've been practising since Win7.

The best answer so far IMO is still the use of 3rd party apps like ShutUp10 that will disable telemetry 😞

The web search function of Cortana uses Edge and Bing, both of which share data with M$. I'm not sure if Cortana shares all search data (local) with Edge and/or Bing. I started the thread when I discovered Cortana's reincarnation trick when I shut it off in Task Manager. Then the Anniversary update dinged the GPedit functionality and began breaking other things. W10 isn't worth the effort to me anymore.

The web search function of Cortana uses Edge and Bing, both of which share data with M$. I'm not sure if Cortana shares all search data (local) with Edge and/or Bing.

http://www.ghacks.net/2015/09/07/improve-your-privacy-in-microsoft-edge-with-these-settings/

"Microsoft Edge displays suggestions while you are typing in the search box or address bar. It sends information that you type, while you type, to Bing (or another search engine if you have changed the default search provider) and returns suggestions based on that."

"Everything you type in the address bar or search box is sent to the default search engine regardless of whether you hit enter or not." -> this includes Cortana

Back