• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Working on a benchmark sharing/comparison website, need input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Method320

Registered
Obligatory, "not sure if this is the right place" but here we go.

I'm writing a benchmark sharing and comparison tool/website. Mainly because I've upgraded my PC a number of times in the past few years, and every time I've always ran a bunch of benchmarks to see what the difference in performance is, and it's always been a bit cumbersome to do. I'm hoping to simplify that process, and make it easy to compare setups with friends/get some bragging rights biggrin.gif

Currently, I have it successfully crawling CPU-Z validation pages for spec data, and successfully reading Unigine Heaven benchmark exports (html files). What I'm not sure on is user experience and flow of how to add a benchmark. What makes sense and what's the most user friendly. Currently, when you want to add a new benchmark, you have the option to:

• Input the Cinebench score you got (no real way to verify scores unfortunately)
  • Upload a Unigine Heaven benchmark file (html file)
  • Paste the CPU-Z validate URL (required for all benchmarks)

The first and second items are optional, you can do either or both. Right now, it asks if you're inputting either a Cinebench score, or a Unigine score. Thinking it over, since you need a CPU-Z validation url for each benchmark (and it has to be unique to that benchmark) that would be cumbersome for multiple benchmark results of the same spec. So, adding as many possible benchmarks scores to a single result makes the most sense here, I would think, but I defer to the community here.

What I need is input on how it currently functions, a working list of all the benchmark tools I should add support for, and any other suggestions for a tool like this.

Here's the website address http://comparebench.com/ You can see an example of what it gets back for a benchmark result here: http://comparebench.com/benchmark/1274

Id look here at someplace that, more or less, has already done this before...http://hwbot.org/

GPU Boss I think does this for GPUs.. Anandtech does it for CPUs and GPUs too.

I'm aware of HWBot, but to be honest, I don't think their interface all that great. They have guides and videos on how to even add a benchmark for that. It's not very intuitive. Their aim is more on who has the best score overall, and their point system is a bit arbitrary and convoluted. As far as I know, it doesn't crawl cpuz validation pages or allow importing of benchmark results. It's all static, user-inputted values.

GPU Boss and Anandtech and whatnot are all benchmarks they've done on specific hardware as that hardware gets released. The aim for this site is user-generated across any given type of hardware, for the sole purpose of comparing it with another's benchmark results, or with your own after an upgrade or an overclock.

You can filter down those results and scores and hardware on hwbot. The site isn't excellent, but the amount of data they have is pretty good. I can also check my scores from anything I've submitted as well and compare against newer scores.

Some of their benchmarks import automatically, some require manual entry.

So just for some clarification. My understanding is you at trying to produce a tool that will rate your overall system performance in comparison to others kinda like the Windows experience index. This tool is not necessarily intended to be used to benchmark a system that is pushed too the edge but more just rate your daily driver.

If that is the case, have you looked at the PCMark software and rankings.

So just for some clarification. My understanding is you at trying to produce a tool that will rate your overall system performance in comparison to others kinda like the Windows experience index. This tool is not necessarily intended to be used to benchmark a system that is pushed too the edge but more just rate your daily driver.

If that is the case, have you looked at the PCMark software and rankings.

No, there is no intention of any "rating" system, nor anything that gauges overall performance. Just providing raw numbers from existing benchmarking tools, and (yet to be implemented) comparisons between results that show the difference.

Benchmark result aggregation for a single system might be a better way to describe it.

Well I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish then, other than trying to create a more user friendly version of HWBot. Your time may be better spent working with the crew at hwbot to make their site more user friendly instead of trying to build your own from scratch. I know hwbot is often looking for volunteers to help with things.

Well I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish then, other than trying to create a more user friendly version of HWBot. Your time may be better spent working with the crew at hwbot to make their site more user friendly instead of trying to build your own from scratch. I know hwbot is often looking for volunteers to help with things.

I'm not looking to volunteer for a site. This is more a side project/hobby than anything else. Isn't competition in any industry a good thing? I don't know how HWBot can make their site more user-friendly without a massive overhaul of how users add benchmark results, which could take just as much time as this project does for me.

If anyone has meaningful ideas/input about this project, please feel free to share them.

One thing is that you have to add all results manually and be sure they're accurate or you will end like most other sites. Hwbot database has a lot of fake results or overclocked without any info what hardware was used so at the end is hard to compare anything. It's good only to see if your system after OC is performing good comparing to others ( when you filter all weird results ). It's mainly because users are submitting scores and many of them are not being checked later. Almost only reported scores are verified. So as I said if you want to make it good then make it yourself but then good luck with making large database adding everything manually.

Back