• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED 3DMark TimeSpy released! Post up your scores!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The ASUS over current protection is a little like a nagging, helicopter mom. Mine was tripping on a medium overclock on my 5820k and pushing a single 290X with a 1000P2 Supernova from EVGA. I even had EVGA send me another PSU, and it was still doing it. I just turned it off....

4982 - mackerel / 6700k 4.0 GHz / Zotac GTX 1070 FE @ 1506 MHz / 2002 MHz

Now, this is a weird one. I got the card today and dropped in into the VR system containing the 980Ti benched earlier. It seemed to pick up the existing (latest release) drivers and I ran TimeSpy. 1600-ish. That's not right. Looking at GPU-z showed the clock wasn't going up and it remained in a low power state. I re-installed the drivers, turned up the Windows power/performance settings, rebooted, and tried again. Still 1600-ish. Ran furmark. No problems with that, clocks and power went up nicely. Took to google and found there's a power setting in the driver. I changed it from "optimal" to "performance" and tried again. That's better! And that's the score I'm submitting for now. It puts it slightly above the 980Ti. Looking at it again, the 980Ti have a lot more units behind it, but lower clock. Forward looking, I hope more VR software takes advantage of the new features of the 1070 so it will pull ahead further. I do note, although the boost clock is reported as 1683 in GPU-z, it didn't actually go above 1506 in monitoring. It is getting very late now and I'll have to tinker with it some more another time.

timespy-ritsuko1070.jpg

Never had to change anything un the NVCP for clocks to go up... I would imagine your driver didn't 'really' get installed. I always install drivers fresh when I swap cards out. Best practice and all.

Stop using Furmark, its a 'power virus'.

I will update soon.

When I get time I do plan on hitting it with DDU and trying again and see if that helps. I only use furmark as something quick and easy to run and I know will stress the card. Calling it a power virus isn't helpful or meaningful.

Calling it a power virus isn't helpful or meaningful.
To those that don't know or wont take the time to search the site/web, you are correct. Apologies for not being more informative out of the gate.

It came out years ago (since 5 series NVIDIA IIRC) that the card tends to throttle under furmark loads. This is how NVIDIA and AMD drivers responded to Furmark. It is generally held on many forums to avoid using it. Try using Unigine Valley for a quick stress test instead of something that artificially limits things and is a wholly unrealistic load. :)

AMD has replied that FurMark’s slowdown is really intentional because softwares such as FurMark damage graphics cards and do not represent real world applications.
NVIDIA has added dedicated hardware to limit the power draw. And still like AMD with the Catalyst drivers (see FurMark Slowdown by Catalyst Graphics Drivers is INtentional!), there are somne optimizations in ForceWare R262.xx when FurMark (or OCCT) is detected (hehe, maybe the weak link???). In short, when FurMark is detected, the GTX 580 is throttled back by the power consumption monitoring chips. Now we have the explanation of this strange FurMark screenshot.

Yes, it has been that long. Nothing we know of has changed. If you find anything new on it, I am certainly all ears! :)

EDIT: I am not saying it will kill your card, but its bouncing off the 'rev limiter' that both companies put in place SPECIFICALLY for this software (and OCCT).

Last edited:
GPUs these days seem more complicated than ever. In monitoring my 980Ti for example, at different times, I see the performance limit reason may vary between power, thermal, and voltages. So they've put in all that stuff already so that the card could perform as well as it could until any of those limits are hit. I don't actually use furmark a lot, other than to see how bad heat might get when doing a new build. Cards are usually indicating either power or thermal limiting when that runs. Even not running furmark, I have seen other loads hit power and/or thermal limits. Does that make them as bad as furmark?

What furmark did show in this instance was that the 1070 could reach its higher power states before I played with driver settings, whereas Time Spy didn't do the same. I'll get back into diagnosing that shortly.

Does that make them as bad as furmark?
I have a feeling you were being facitious, but, No. Clearly there are differences there mack. ;)

Not sure what you are diagnosing...but keep us posted! :thup:

I wont clutter this thread beyond this post. DDU and driver reinstall didn't help. Beta 368.95 didn't help. Changing from "optimal power" to "prefer maximum power" does help. With "optimal power" setting I'm getting high enough Firestrike results. This is suggesting on my system this might be more a Time Spy quirk but I'm going to go through more benches to be sure.

In windows power, I am on "high performance" (vs the default "balanced" or other choice, "power saver"). In the NVIDIA CP I am on "adaptive" (GTX 1080). It adjusts the clocks fine here. Not sure why its on adaptive. I usually switch it to high performance... anyway....... lol

5624 - mackerel / 6700k 4.0 GHz / Zotac GTX 1070 FE @ 1898 MHz / 2003 MHz

Success! Unfortunately I don't know how I got there... I went back to latest standard release 368.81 and default settings, running Firestrike, Catzilla, which gave results in expected region. I did Time Spy again... and this time the score is much higher. In the detail results it is reporting boost clock of 1898 so that is working now. Why did it start working? Maybe running the others before woke it up?

timespy-ritsuko1070-2.jpg

@EarthDog

can i ask you a favor?

can you upload the msi gtx 1080 gaming z bios?

I would appreciate very much the thing

thanks in advance

ps: sorry for the ot..

When you go so hard....

View attachment 181475

I'm limited to 1400mhz on the 980's and 4.6-4.7 on the cpu before it crashes. I did not know when I bought a 650w psu that one day I would run sli.

This is awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, just picked up my 1080, here's my results... Seems a little low, might need to play with a few things. Asus Strix ROG 1080 is the card.

5958 - mokrunka / CPU 3.6 GHz / ASUS Strix GTX 1080 @ 1607 MHz (1734 boost) / 1251 MHz

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
CPU took a dump on me in the CPU portion of the test. It had been pulling 11.9k consistently. Enough playing for tonight. I need to get it tuned it better. GPU score should be higher too...I'll cool it off in here this weekend and put the boots to it.

12460 - Vellinious | 6950X @ 4.44 GHz / 980ti SLI x2 @ 1518 MHz / 2128 MHz

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/169415

12460 TS SLI 4444 142v.JPG

Nice run velly! What is your actual voltage for the 4.4ghz?
I set it at 1.42 for that run, but....it seemed a tad dodgy. Ultimately, overclocking this is worlds different than the 5820k I had, so....I have a long way to go. I'm really unhappy with the way this board acts with this processor, so I've got an EVGA FTW K coming in on Saturday.

It's really odd. I can set the XMP profile, and it clocks up to 4.0, just as it should. It ran OCCT for 4 hours without a glitch. But if I touch ANYTHING else in the bios. And I mean anything at all, it becomes unstable and crashes on Windows startup, then takes a battery reset to get back into the bios because it freezes up. I've never seen anything like it. I tried tweaking the VCCIN, VTT, memory voltage, LLC, current capability, memory timings, ad infinitum....ugh.

Hopefully a new revision board helps.....

That's... weird. Sounds like you have a OK chip there. I'd imagine I can get it mine 3DM stable that high. I ran Realbench for over an hour at 4.4 GHz 1.344V. :)

Updated. Let me know if I missed anything!

As far as the BIOS, I submitted it to the TPU database (HERE - It is not there yet). If you need it sooner, I can pull it for you and send it to you through your email. Please PM me your email (do not post your email here in public).

Last edited:
That's... weird. :(

Updated.

As far as the BIOS, I submitted it to the TPU database (HERE - not there yet). If you need it sooner, I can pull it for you and send it to you through your email. Please PM me your email (do not post your email here in public).

A Timespy run and an FS run netted me two spots on the HOF for 2 x GPU with a half *** overclock on the CPU....can't wait to get it running right. I obviously, have a lot to learn yet. lol

Ninja'd you... sorry, lol!

I posted my 8K run at TPU, I need to do it here. But that was just with the CPU at 4GHz and the GPU overclocked. So there is still a few hundo more in the 6950x that will help a bit.

That's... weird. Sounds like you have a OK chip there. I'd imagine I can get it mine 3DM stable that high. I ran Realbench for over an hour at 4.4 GHz 1.344V. :)

Updated. Let me know if I missed anything!

As far as the BIOS, I submitted it to the TPU database (HERE - It is not there yet). If you need it sooner, I can pull it for you and send it to you through your email. Please PM me your email (do not post your email here in public).

sorry but i can't send you a pm.... (i am a new user)

can you add me in you friend list? (and maybe after i can send you pm?)

in alternative can you upload the file with http://www.megafileupload.com/

please help!

Back