• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with Briefcase PC mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kadengolda

I want to build a briefcase pc and have done tons of research on the topic. I've narrowed it down to 2 cases after deciding to use metal due to it being more sturdy than wood. This: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vestil-CASE...0623&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=lo&sd=252183793335#rwid and this: http://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-x-6-in-x-13-in-silver-aluminum-case-69315.html

I know how to dremel and paint and whatever but I need to know if the fabric inside the case will cause static and if I should remove it. I will be removing the walls of course. And also will I need to ground the case to prevent static and how? I have used sketchup to make sure it works and fits with my m atx board and 140mm PSU and GTX 960 with PCI extender. Lastly, anything else I should know when I do this?. I already have a custom wood motherboard plug cover I made along with psu cable plug in cover. So yea, am I missing anything? and which case suits best?

Any "synthetic" material like nylon will have the possibility of static buildup. Then again, a metal case will conduct static if you scuff your rubber souls on a nylon carpet. The key is to pay attention to your grounding within your case.

Don't expect either of those cases to be too strong. I'd guess that the gauge of aluminum is as thin as they could get away with.

Last edited:
So then how do i ground it? I will be grinding out a motherboard tray and using standoffs and lastly the psu already has grounding. Plus the gpu will ne resting on a carved wood gpu holder i made. So i need to remove the fabric on the bottom. Also i switched to a higher quality case http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hard-Alum...tion-Locks-Briefcase-Silver-One-Size/40713401 and after all that will it be safe for transport on the bus or a car ride?

Lets start with the "safe to travel" question. It depends. You wouldn't want to jostle it too much regardless of the strength of the case. Moving parts like fans won't like it even in an "off" state. Also, cards won't like it (E.G. Video card) if there is too much torque put on the MB connector. You'd want to make sure things don't have too much freedom to bend and twist and you would want to handle the system with some care. The case would just be an easy way to carry the machine and protect it from minor bumps and scrapes and crushing force.

As to the grounding. A thought would be to make sure that the MB tray or *a* single MB standoff touches the case. The standoffs are the means for a ground in a regular case. I'm less sure of myself in this area so I intend this only as a starting point.

I'm not sure that your wal mart case is stronger. It comes in at 6 lbs while the harbor freight comes in at 6.9. Of course, its hard to say where that weight comes from.

Just saw this on the harbor freight unit:

"OK for the price

All of the main flat panels of this case are NOT aluminum. They are hard pressed cardboard, covered with textured aluminum foil. The edge trim IS extruded aluminum, and the corner braces are...
Read complete review"

Is the goal small and has a handle? If so, you can get mITX cases with a handle...

Is the goal small and has a handle? If so, you can get mITX cases with a handle...
Well I need a screen built on for portability. Also I dont want to waste money on a laptop which are quite expensive considering my pc is capable of the animation and a laptop of the same performance costs nearly $1200. Also I got a different case: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hard-Alum...tion-Locks-Briefcase-Silver-One-Size/40713401 Much higher quality as I have it with my right now. its much thicker metal with a better handle.
So lastly I just want help with grounding. So I'm going to L-brack the power supply and remove fabric, then cut out my motherboard tray, bolt it to the case, then use the standoffs for even more grounding. My gpu will has a wooden adjustable (sliding) latch for it and a PCIE x16 floppy extender. Am I missing anything? the whole project has costed $50 at the time of writing this.

That about covers it. Are you sure that you will have clearance to close the case with your CPU heatsink and fan? It sounds like you have a lot to put in there when you include an LCD, power supply, graphics card, etc.

That about covers it. Are you sure that you will have clearance to close the case with your CPU heatsink and fan? It sounds like you have a lot to put in there when you include an LCD, power supply, graphics card, etc.

Alright sweet! I snagged a 600w 80+ gold off craiglist for $50 by silverstone so it looks to all fit! thanks for your help!:attn:

Back