• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU Waterblock Acceptable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyris69

Registered
Wondering if this used block I bought is acceptable to use in my new first water loop? It was sold like new for 60$ so ~50+% of new price. Can I just leave thermal pads where they are or do I need to move onto the GPU first then mount?

IjAbJJN.jpg

QMYq3mo.jpg
xmCJctM.jpg

Bah, I think you can order them from any decent computer online shop. Just check if those are 1mm or 1.5mm.

Use the pads: There is a gap between the block and the VRMs/ram chips. If you use thermal paste, you won't get contact.

Don't know about the corrosion, but unless I os really bad, I think you can leave I as I is.

I use vinegar and a toothbrush to clean my blocks. Just make sure you rinse it off well so the vinegar is not left on.

Looks like some chipping going on. Not sure if that's oxidization spots or if its nickel chips.

Looks like chipping and come oxidation. I went ahead and install it. One of the main chip screws sheered off into the block so not much I can do now but it seems 100℅ no moving on the PCB...

Looks like chipping and come oxidation. I went ahead and install it. One of the main chip screws sheered off into the block so not much I can do now but it seems 100℅ no moving on the PCB...

I hope you took it apart and cleaned/washed it out before mounting it on your card. Also "One of the main chip screws sheered off into the block" I hope you never have to remove it to:

A) Send the video card in for RMA
B) Take the block apart for regular maintenance

Good luck with that-

I hope you took it apart and cleaned/washed it out before mounting it on your card. Also "One of the main chip screws sheered off into the block" I hope you never have to remove it to:

A) Send the video card in for RMA
B) Take the block apart for regular maintenance

Good luck with that-

It's this screw right here, there are standoffs attached to the water block itself and that screw sheered off. So I can still take it apart and remove that if I need to thankfully. I did indeed clean it all very well with 99.99% iso so there wasn't any loose gunk or anything to get in the loop. Right now running a bench test and it id;es at 28C and under 100% load its maxing right now at 41C after 10 mins.
7XNoyAG.jpg
AkSQP7q.jpg

Looks like someone didn't take very good care of that block, and they definitely shouldn't have sold it "like new". A "like new" block wouldn't have oxidation or rust.

Just for that, I wouldn't have used it. That plating will continue to chip off, and start getting stuck in the various parts in your loop. Once plating is compromised, there's really no fix to it other than stripping and re-plating.

Sorry for the long break between an update. I have been using it since it's here and never got a response back from the seller. So I decided to try my luck contacting EKWB. I showed them the same pictures and where I bought it, they told me to just try an RMA request on their site. Sure enough the awesome people at EK just emailed me this:

Hi Kevin,
We will dispatch:
- spare Nickel part
- the mounting set
- the thermal paste and pads

So even though not a direct customer they are taking care of me, they have definitely gained a new customer from here on out!

Sorry for the long break between an update. I have been using it since it's here and never got a response back from the seller. So I decided to try my luck contacting EKWB. I showed them the same pictures and where I bought it, they told me to just try an RMA request on their site. Sure enough the awesome people at EK just emailed me this:

Hi Kevin,
We will dispatch:
- spare Nickel part
- the mounting set
- the thermal paste and pads

So even though not a direct customer they are taking care of me, they have definitely gained a new customer from here on out!

That's just fantastic. Kudos to EK for their CS.

Back