• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

restore back up image

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrsteve0924

Cubed Beef Stew Member
having some trouble restoring a back up image of a partition with my windows 10 OS.

i am triple booting with win 7, win 10 and linux mint. i will say right now i mostly stumble through getting bootmanagers and bootloaders to work properly. i have a working idea of how they all fit together but if i have to troubleshoot it's like I am throwing darts in the dark.

well here is my issue...

i've attached an image with my disk set up. win 7 on one disk and win 10 and linux on the other. windows bootmanager(?) on the win 7 disk.

so i have a backup image of the win 10 OS partition. used EaseUs ToDO back up. I restore that back up to an empty hard drive. Now I want to make that drive bootable. I really dont want to even add it to the current bootmanager. I want to make it bootable on its own.

I've tried restoring the MBR, bootmanagers, bootloaders, etc. I've tried easyBCD. i've used the recovery console with the bootrec commands and diskpart.

just can't get it to work.

does anyone know the proper way to accomplish this?

thanks

disks.jpg

I think you will have to remove the c/win7 drive to accomplish what you ask. If you have a bootable widows 10 dvd or iso image and you put just the non-bootable 10 hard drive in, you should be able to boot from the windows 10 dvd/usb and use startup repair. For one, your boot sector is on the windows 7 (C) disk. Even if the windows 10 disc was bootable, unless it's the C drive, it's bootsector will be ignored. Your only other option is to create a vhd of the windows 10 partition but this is much more complicated but would allow you to keep the windows 7 disk in place.
I would use something like hiren's boot cd to label the 10 disk as the C drive, and then boot to a windows 10 iso and use startup repair. I have never done this and am only quoting what the internet offers up. Personally, startup repair has never fixed a damn thing for me but supposedly it will put the proper boot files to a windows 10 non-booting hard drive using using a fully functional bootable windows 10 disk.

i've disconnected all existing drives and booted to win 10 recovery from a usb. did the start up repair - it failed. did some command line stuff with bootrec /fixmbr and /fixboot and /nt60 and marked partition as active. finally it let me boot...into safe mode only. strange. when i try to boot normally it crashes. i've read where it might be the video card or driver causing the issue, might make sense since it can boot only into safe mode.

i will keep trying.

and at this point i just wanted some confirmation that what i am trying to do is do-able at least.

If you can boot into Safe Mode but your Windows crushes at boot otherwise, you have a driver problem or a program set to start at Windows boot may be causing this.

If you can boot into Safe Mode but your Windows crushes at boot otherwise, you have a driver problem or a program set to start at Windows boot may be causing this.

so boot into safe mode and uninstall drivers one by one and/or start-up programs?

Well...

Are you willing to format-reinstall?
If not,

if it is hardware, you need to remove *everything* connected to your computer, everything and just boot in with a single stick of RAM, CPU, one hard drive and nothing else other than a video card in there. That would be a starting point.

if it is software then start menu > run > msconfig > Startup TAB and see what's in there starting with your Windows. Disabling it from starting with Windows should diagnose it...

well i really didnt feel like disconnecting everything and disabling startups.

decided to move the drive to another sata port. tried booting to my windows 7 drive and chkdsk kicked in but for this win 10 drive i am trying to fix. fixed a lot of stuff and bam..it booted up.

and i ran chkdsk at least twice before from a recovery disk, but somehow it worked this time.

thanks for the help all!

Back